5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using truck's charging system for your fifth-wheel

Rich734

Reaction score
This is sort of towing related. I'm getting a new 5th wheel in a few weeks and will be adding solar and 6 Battle Born 100A lithium batteries to it shortly thereafter. I was wondering - when you're not getting enough solar to recharge the batteries or you've run out of battery power due to needing to run the AC, rather than getting a gas generator to fill in the gaps can we tap into the 220A alternator and idle the truck to charge the batteries? This may be more of an engine question though - what are the ramifications of just letting the truck sit at idle for extended periods of time such as 2-3 hours or so while the batteries charge? Haven't seen this option discussed before on the various sites I've looked at before. Thanks!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
This is sort of towing related. I'm getting a new 5th wheel in a few weeks and will be adding solar and 6 Battle Born 100A lithium batteries to it shortly thereafter. I was wondering - when you're not getting enough solar to recharge the batteries or you've run out of battery power due to needing to run the AC, rather than getting a gas generator to fill in the gaps can we tap into the 220A alternator and idle the truck to charge the batteries? This may be more of an engine question though - what are the ramifications of just letting the truck sit at idle for extended periods of time such as 2-3 hours or so while the batteries charge? Haven't seen this option discussed before on the various sites I've looked at before. Thanks!
Idling so long will never be good for a gasoline engine. If it were a diesel with an idle controller, you could let it idle for hours, otherwise, I'd get a dedicated generator.
You can get a Honda EU series for about a grand, and it will run for something like 14 hrs on a gallon of gas and they're super quiet.

Rich734

Reaction score
I need to apologize. I guess I didn't realize this was for RAM 1500s (even though it says it right up there in the forum title). I guess I need to go seek out the heavy duty ram forums to ask this question. Silly me. BTW, I do have a diesel 3500. I appreciate the reply.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I need to apologize. I guess I didn't realize this was for RAM 1500s (even though it says it right up there in the forum title). I guess I need to go seek out the heavy duty ram forums to ask this question. Silly me. BTW, I do have a diesel 3500. I appreciate the reply.
Ahh, no worries :)
Take care.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
HDRAMS.com is our HeavyDuty site

Users who are viewing this thread