5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using the power outlets for tailgating?

jsteinm1

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used the power outlets in their Ram for tailgating. I'm looking to just run a TV playing the game on mine. We had a friend with a generator lined up for this weekend but now they can't make it, so considering options. Anyone know what kind of runtime you can get from those outlets? I don't want to idle my truck the whole time, but wondering if it might work with just idling like 30 mins over half time or something.

Last edited:

AMS Guru

AMS Guru, Ram Guru-ish
Reaction score
400 watts maximum available for all three outlets. (IP, rear center console, and RamBox if equipped)
  • At 110 volts, 3.63 amps available
  • At 115 volts, 3.47 amps available
  • At 120 volts, 3.33 amps available
  • At 125 volts, 3.2 amps available
You'll need to see what amperage draw is on your TV and make sure there's some headroom.

Edit: I believe 115 is where the inverter will operate.

Last edited:

RichInMN

Reaction score
Here's some back of the napkin...

A respectable size (ie large) tv will pull 200-300 watts (1.6-2.4 amps-ish). An inverter serving 300 watts pulls a bit over 25 amps at 12v. I believe our batteries *brand new* are rated at 80 AH / 140 minute reserve capacity (time is usually rated at 25 amps, conveniently). So in theory with a brand new battery that's your time before it's dead as a doornail.

In practice, having done this type of thing before, I wouldn't tempt fate without a second battery that's isolated or disconnected from the main - unless you're cool with approaching strangers with your jumper cables in-hand - I've been there 😄

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can always start the truck and let it idle for awhile to keep the battery from completely draining. Just don't set the TV on the tailgate and everyone gather around the exhaust fumes to watch it. :sick:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Or here's a thought...why not actually go into the stadium and watch the game in person? :p

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here's some back of the napkin...

A respectable size (ie large) tv will pull 200-300 watts (1.6-2.4 amps-ish). An inverter serving 300 watts pulls a bit over 25 amps at 12v. I believe our batteries *brand new* are rated at 80 AH / 140 minute reserve capacity (time is usually rated at 25 amps, conveniently). So in theory with a brand new battery that's your time before it's dead as a doornail.

In practice, having done this type of thing before, I wouldn't tempt fate without a second battery that's isolated or disconnected from the main - unless you're cool with approaching strangers with your jumper cables in-hand - I've been there 😄
I have an older Samsung plasma 51” that draws 450 watts, my newer 55” Samsung smart LED TV only draws 45 watts, so the gaming console may draw more than the TV

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used the power outlets in their Ram for tailgating. I'm looking to just run a TV playing the game on mine. We had a friend with a generator lined up for this weekend but now they can't make it, so considering options. Anyone know what kind of runtime you can get from those outlets? I don't want to idle my truck the whole time, but wondering if it might work with just idling like 30 mins over half time or something.
I tried the 115volt power outlet in my Rambox while the truck was in accessory mode and it worked fine, but I am almost certain that it will turn off after 10 minutes or so, if it is the same as listening to the radio, even with the key fob on the seat, the truck accessory turns off, so I would not worry about the battery draining too fast, the problem is if you are in the middle of gaming, it would be frustrating when the power shuts off, in that case the truck would have to be running too avoid losing power to the plug.
My 55” Samsung Smart TV only draws 45 watts, so the gaming console might draw more, check the tag.

Users who are viewing this thread