5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using both WDH and airbags

runmocs

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel North Edition with 3.92. I tow a 25 ft total length, 5800 lb travel trailer (probably about 7k loaded). I tow my TT about 20k miles a year. I’ve been using a Recurve WDH since I bought this particular camper a few months ago. Attached, my truck sits slightly lower in the back than the front. I’m considering supplementing the WDH with airbags to maintain just a bit of rake, and I’ve narrowed it down to the Timber Grove. Thoughts on using both a WDH and airbags, or feedback on these particular airbags, would be appreciated.

Drewster

Reaction score
You want everything level - that rake is there so that everything is closer to optimal when loaded.

That being said plenty of folks use both - just make sure you set up the WDH *after* inflating the airbags, not the other way around.

Boston

Reaction score
When you set up the WDH, did you use a block or similar to ensure the combination was level before you set the WDH?

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Both. Keep the wdh and get airbags. You tow enough for the need.

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
I use a BlueOx Swaypro and Airlift 1000HD’s on my stock 2019 Rebel to tow my 7000lb 30 ft camper. I inflate the bags to 35psi and at 65mph, it tows great. Fuel mileage drops to about 9mpg on the Hemi 5.7, but the truck tows level, stable, within the limits and safe.

runmocs

Reaction score
I use a BlueOx Swaypro and Airlift 1000HD’s on my stock 2019 Rebel to tow my 7000lb 30 ft camper. I inflate the bags to 35psi and at 65mph, it tows great. Fuel mileage drops to about 9mpg on the Hemi 5.7, but the truck tows level, stable, within the limits and safe.
Does 35 psi bring you close to level before setting your WDH? I’m trying to decide how level to bring the trailer with the airbags prior to setting my WDH.

runmocs

Reaction score
Both. Keep the wdh and get airbags. You tow enough for the need.
I agree, so I pulled the trigger on the Timber Groves. Do you use both? If so, what was your process to set up? I’m trying to decide how much of the squat to take out with the airbags before setting up my WDH. Currently, my stock Ram North Edition (1in factory lift with 275/70 Duratracs) sits level front to back (no rake) with just WDH, but it requires a lot of leverage on the bars.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You won't regret the Timber Groves. I've run AirLift bags before, and these Timber Groves are solid.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Set it so you don’t have a sag. Then use the wdh. Those are top quality bags. But always level with bags first. So you have the right psi.

Tones1975

Reaction score
I have a 21 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel North Edition with 3.92. I tow a 25 ft total length, 5800 lb travel trailer (probably about 7k loaded). I tow my TT about 20k miles a year. I’ve been using a Recurve WDH since I bought this particular camper a few months ago. Attached, my truck sits slightly lower in the back than the front. I’m considering supplementing the WDH with airbags to maintain just a bit of rake, and I’ve narrowed it down to the Timber Grove. Thoughts on using both a WDH and airbags, or feedback on these particular airbags, would be appreciated.
How do you like the ED for towing? I've got a 19 Rebel Hemi with Airlift HD airbags in the rear and a WDH and I find it tows very nice. I'm looking at possibly trading in for a 21 rebel ED but I'm wondering how the MPG are on the ED rebel with a large travel trailer hooked on.

runmocs

Reaction score
How do you like the ED for towing? I've got a 19 Rebel Hemi with Airlift HD airbags in the rear and a WDH and I find it tows very nice. I'm looking at possibly trading in for a 21 rebel ED but I'm wondering how the MPG are on the ED rebel with a large travel trailer hooked on.

I towed this trailer before with at Nissan Titan 4x4, and I much prefer the towing experience with the ED. I live in CO and the ED nicely handles the trailer on mountain passes. I’d say, on average I get, 3-3.5 mpg better towing (I was hoping for just a little more). I probably average 10-11 with drives with lots of interstate (70 mph), and 13-14 for drives with the majority at 55-60 mph and below. Not towing, I got 26 mpg on a 350 mile trip last weekend. It did a decent amount better with the stock tires and no topper (I have a roof rack on it). My biggest surprise was DEF consumption. I only have 3400 miles on this truck, but I only got about 1800 miles on tank of DEF. Towing over a mountain pass, that I tow over frequently, at 10000 ft I can visibly see the DEF gauge dropping. If I had a truck stop on my side of town or a route I drive frequently, this wouldn’t be a big deal to me.

OBX_Rebel

Reaction score
Does 35 psi bring you close to level before setting your WDH? I’m trying to decide how level to bring the trailer with the airbags prior to setting my WDH.
For me, 35psi results in only a minor drop from the original height. When set at 35psi with the WDH hooked up, my truck sits very level.

Users who are viewing this thread