5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Using Bed Extender with Retractable Tonneau

Ras11

Reaction score
Hi all. I just purchased my 2019 Ram Limited with the 5'7" bed, and I ordered up an Amp Research bed extender (https://www.amp-research.com/amp-research-74840-01a-bedxtender-hd-max). I am also interested in a retractable tonneau, and have been eyeing up the Retrax Pro MX. I called Retrax to ask if there were any clearance issues using the bed extender. However, their answer did not fill me with confidence, stating that you "can" use it but would need to remove it each time. I took that to mean the swivel function would not be available due to the rail clearance. So my question to you guys is, have any of you had experience with retractable tonneaus and bed extenders? Any clearance issues? Thanks.

Ras11

Reaction score
One other related question. I also have the bed utility rail installed. The point where you remove the cleats is toward the front of the bed. When the retractable canister is installed it will undoubtedly block access. Have any of you flipped the rails the other way to allow cleat removal at the rear? Looks like I'd need to drill new mounting holes. Thanks.

Ras11

Reaction score
OK, well.....I answered my own questions. For the sake of anyone in the future who is interested, it is possible to install the bed extender with a retractable tonneau. Pretty easily actually using a spacer kit provided by Amp Research. https://www.amp-research.com/amp-research-74609-01a-bedxtender-hd-kit Didn't need all the spacers, only two on each side was enough.

Also, the Utility rail clearance was fine. i tried to take them off to reverse them, however after removing the screws they were still solid and wouldn't budge. Perhaps glued on in addition to screwed so i just left them as-is. The cover is easily removable so I guess if i really need to take them off it won't be that big of a deal. Anyway, hope this helps anyone with a similar question.

Spacer.jpg

Retrax.jpg

U

User_21361

Can you please measure the space between the tailgate the the AMP bed divider? I have a stroller that I am looking to store that's 23.5 inches wide. I'm curious if I can fit it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Ras11

Reaction score
Can you please measure the space between the tailgate the the AMP bed divider? I have a stroller that I am looking to store that's 23.5 inches wide. I'm curious if I can fit it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
It's exactly 23.5" 20191007_135621_resized.jpg

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Glad you were able to have clearance with the bed extender. I Purchased the amp research Bed extender HD and it is my #1 best mod to the truck. I only wish is that the Bed Extender could fold up like Ford's OEM extenders do.

Conundrum

Reaction score
Has anyone else had any issues with a bed extender (MOPAR or AMP) while using a tonneau cover (retractable or flip up)?

Users who are viewing this thread