5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB thumb drive: music files

chipsalot

Reaction score
For what it's worth, 256GB thumb drive working...

2024 1500 Limited UConnect 5 w/12" screen running FCA-MY23.T27.34-PROD and successfully playing music from a 256GB thumb drive NTFS-formated with folders as follows: artist > album > song in mp3 and m4a formats - roughly 2,000 songs.

It took a long time for the head unit to index the drive. I think its best to listen to other sources and just let it do its thing; but it was easily an hour plus.

For what its worth, the drive used is as follows:
"SAMSUNG MUF-256AB/AM FIT Plus 256GB - 400MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Gunmetal Gray"
Amazon link: Amazon.com

ram813ltd

Reaction score
I know a lot of people use their phones for music playback. I do not, and do not want to start either..... I am not a big I-tunes fan either.

I use a 64 gig USB drive, and store lossless MP3 music files on it. I am a dinosaur and still buy CD's, then rip them.

One notable short combing of this system, is that I can't select a genre and hit shuffle. It appears the software relies more on playlists than file tagging.

If anyone else has figured out a good way to tag and store files on a thumb drive, including playlists, play share that with me.
put them in different folders

Users who are viewing this thread