5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB Ports

Jono127

Reaction score
What’s up party people, I’m new here. So apparently, the USB ports are a hot topic. So mine work great so far on my 20 2500 Laramie, my issue is if I’m listening to the radio and my kid or wife plays a video on their phone while charging, their crap comes on the stereo. Is there a way to stop this?

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What’s up party people, I’m new here. So apparently, the USB ports are a hot topic. So mine work great so far on my 20 2500 Laramie, my issue is if I’m listening to the radio and my kid or wife plays a video on their phone while charging, their crap comes on the stereo. Is there a way to stop this?
Not positive but I think if it's plugged in to usb 1 it will play through the radio. Have them charge in the other ports.

Jono127

Reaction score
So apparently all my trucks USB ports are for charging and media. So if I’m listening to music on usb 1 and my kid is plugged in to usb 3 and plays some video or something, it takes priority over mine.

Jono127

Reaction score
3 of the 4 ports will data in. One in the back is a charge only. The icon next to the port will let you know
It’s kind of annoying I could see one port up front for media and one in the back but not 4 out of 5!

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not sure about the 2500 setup but the 1500’s is ports 1 (front driver), 2 (front passenger), and 3 (left rear) are data and charge. Port 4 (right rear) is charge only.

That’s if you have the center console. Im not sure about the bench setup.

Jono127

Reaction score
I’m not sure about the 2500 setup but the 1500’s is ports 1 (front driver), 2 (front passenger), and 3 (left rear) are data and charge. Port 4 (right rear) is charge only.

That’s if you have the center console. Im not sure about the bench setup.
Ya with the bench seats there’s another data usb in the center console. So the only non data port would be on the back seat.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that there’s a charge only USB in the center console armrest compartment.

MG99

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that there’s a charge only USB in the center console armrest compartment.
Ohhhh yeahhhhh! Lol forgot about that one in there. I need more electronics for all these plugs I have.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ohhhh yeahhhhh! Lol forgot about that one in there. I need more electronics for all these plugs I have.
My last truck had 0 USB ports so I’m way short on stuff to plug in. I bought some dust covers for them so they don’t get clogged with dirt/dust since I only regularly use 2 ports.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you provide a link for the dust covers?
I got them from Amazon:

I used one of the 3.5mm jack plugs for my aux Jack.

There are lots of options out there so find the one you want. I was also buying enough so I could give a set to my dad for his Limited.

SilverNight2020

Reaction score
I got them from Amazon:

I used one of the 3.5mm jack plugs for my aux Jack.

There are lots of options out there so find the one you want. I was also buying enough so I could give a set to my dad for his Limited.
Thanks for the links. I am sure with all of those, you had enough to share with your dad.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this is happening. Please DM us with more details so I can look into this further.

Alison
RamCares

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think there's an issue with the OP's USB ports. If you plug a device into port 1, 2, or 3 the input will default to that device. Port 4 and the center console USB port are charge only.

I just reselect the input I had before. The biggest annoyance is that any time my kids switch apps the input switches to their iPhone as if it just got plugged in but I don't think that's a problem as much as the way uConnect works.

jerryw1000

Reaction score
So apparently all my trucks USB ports are for charging and media.

I've got a 2020 Laramie 2500 with bucket seats. 2 ports on the center stack and 2 in the back on the back of the console. All 4 are marked for media and charging. As for the multiple device plug in my owner's manual says this:

"Two devices can be plugged in at the same time and both ports will provide charging capabili-ties. Only one port can transfer data to the system at a time. A pop-up will appear and allow you to select the device transferring data."

That doesn't fix your listening to the radio problem. I guess if a device is plugged in and sending data it plays it. If 2 devices are plugged in you should get a pop up. I've never tried it.

Users who are viewing this thread