5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB ports

BigD

Reaction score
Do the usb ports charge your phone when the truck is not running ? I googled this question but couldn't find the answer. I know my 2013 did not. I was at lunch today & plugged in my phone. It seemed to charge. Maybe it shuts off after a bit. Not sure.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
believe they shut off..but don't forget, sometimes people get fooled because the length of time that power can still be on after shutoff can be up to 2 -3minutes I think. It depends on what you set that delay for in your uconnect settings. I have mine set at 30 seconds.

Nibis

Reaction score
I think you can set it as high as 10 minutes, the charger port, cigarette style on top of the radio can be set to battery or ignition with the fuse placement.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do the usb ports charge your phone when the truck is not running ? I googled this question but couldn't find the answer. I know my 2013 did not. I was at lunch today & plugged in my phone. It seemed to charge. Maybe it shuts off after a bit. Not sure.

If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
USB ports shut off after a max 60 minutes with the ignition switch is turned off, to ensure you don't drain your battery.

Rick J

Reaction score
USB ports shut off after a max 60 minutes with the ignition switch is turned off, to ensure you don't drain your battery.
I wonder why they have this in the owners manual if they shut off after a max of 60 minutes

CAUTION!
• Many accessories that can be plugged in draw power
from the vehicle's battery, even when not in use (i.e.,
cellular phones, etc.). Eventually, if plugged in long
enough, the vehicle's battery will discharge sufficiently
to degrade battery life and/or prevent the engine from
starting

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I wonder why they have this in the owners manual if they shut off after a max of 60 minutes

CAUTION!
• Many accessories that can be plugged in draw power
from the vehicle's battery, even when not in use (i.e.,
cellular phones, etc.). Eventually, if plugged in long
enough, the vehicle's battery will discharge sufficiently
to degrade battery life and/or prevent the engine from
starting
I've read it on the service manual somewhere. I'll try to dig it up if I can.

Nibis

Reaction score
I had my dash cam in the 12V port on top of the radio, the port was set to constant power with the fuse position (which I didn't know). When I would come out in the morning the cam would be off and I couldn't get it to come back on unless I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I guess the computer seen the power drain and cut it off. I switched the fuse to the ignition position and now it works great, comes on when I start the truck, turns off with the truck.

proccianoram5thgen

Reaction score
I had my dash cam in the 12V port on top of the radio, the port was set to constant power with the fuse position (which I didn't know). When I would come out in the morning the cam would be off and I couldn't get it to come back on unless I unplugged it and plugged it back in. I guess the computer seen the power drain and cut it off. I switched the fuse to the ignition position and now it works great, comes on when I start the truck, turns off with the truck.
Does anybody know how to do this on a 2021 ram 1500 laramie model? Can’t seem to find it in the manual

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the USBs charged for 2 hours after the truck was turned off but I also don't remember where I read it.

Does anybody know how to do this on a 2021 ram 1500 laramie model? Can’t seem to find it in the manual
This is where it's at on my 2019:

12V.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I thought the USBs charged for 2 hours after the truck was turned off but I also don't remember where I read it.

This is where it's at on my 2019:

View attachment 94549

Here you go. I’ve also attached the full document. It’s chock full of good information.

Cheers,

31349994-B52D-4DF4-AD34-3F41D0FE1DEF.jpeg

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical:8A - Audio:Video:Entertainment:Connectivity:Description DESCRIPTION AND OPERA...pdf
    613.4 KB · Views: 61

Users who are viewing this thread