5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB not functional - truck sitting in sun on hot day - USB recovers after ~30 minutes of A/C

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Similar issue here. drove tomorning (about 30 min) and used the USB port with lightning cable for CarPlay. No problem. I get in my truck to come home, no connection. Not even charging my phone. Switched cables, switched USB ports, turned truck off and back on, nothing.

Put the same lightning cable into my 12 v charger and it worked fine.

so when I got home I let the truck sit for about 2 hours, and went try it again.
Worked fine.

should they replace it while I’m still under warranty?

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
Similar issue here. drove tomorning (about 30 min) and used the USB port with lightning cable for CarPlay. No problem. I get in my truck to come home, no connection. Not even charging my phone. Switched cables, switched USB ports, turned truck off and back on, nothing.

Put the same lightning cable into my 12 v charger and it worked fine.

so when I got home I let the truck sit for about 2 hours, and went try it again.
Worked fine.

should they replace it while I’m still under warranty?

I suspect the technician would need to repeat the problem in order to have your warranty pay for the repair. Unlike some bad experiences posted on this forum, the local dealership service departments where I live usually welcome any warranty work. But how hard they work to repeat an intermittent problem varies a lot. If they are familiar with this problem (which seems to be common in 2019 Rams), they will likely know how to sit your truck out in the sun in July or August and get the USB to fail where they can document it. If they aren't familiar, they may not spend a lot of time trying to observe it. But it's likely worth it to you to get them to try. At least, that's what I would do. As the good book says in James 4:2, "...ye have not because ye ask not."

DomW

Reaction score
I have worked as a computer tech off and on for close to forty years (that includes paper tape) and I will say that loose connections have been the most common problem I would run into. But I will say that it is a connection behind the dash and is FCA's job to fix it.
I too use the back USB port to charge and not sync to the Infotainment system. Has anyone experienced it syncing, meaning my ports in back are not functioning properly?
"Data, are you functioning properly?", "Yes, fully Captain!"

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I have worked as a computer tech off and on for close to forty years (that includes paper tape) and I will say that loose connections have been the most common problem I would run into. But I will say that it is a connection behind the dash and is FCA's job to fix it.
I too use the back USB port to charge and not sync to the Infotainment system. Has anyone experienced it syncing, meaning my ports in back are not functioning properly?
"Data, are you functioning properly?", "Yes, fully Captain!"

I don't believe the back USB ports are supposed to sync. For us, we don't want to sync. So for charging, we use the UBS port inside the console lid hooked to a dedicated cable. It seems to just provide power and doesn't affect the stereo when plugged into a cell phone. I wish FCA had put a charge-only USB port beside the existing 110 volt AC outlet inside the console. I could probably just plug a wall charger into the AC outlet. But leaving it plugged in would likely put a constant and unnecessary load on the inverter.

Last edited:

DBUC

Reaction score
Looks like my issue is not related to the temperature because my USB ports never came back to life. Unlike others here, I'm also experiencing the hidden center console USB port not working with the front two. Have not tried the power outlet on top of the dash or the "wall plug" outlet at the bottom of the center console.

DBUC

Reaction score
Looks like my issue is not related to the temperature because my USB ports never came back to life. Unlike others here, I'm also experiencing the hidden center console USB port not working with the front two. Have not tried the power outlet on top of the dash or the "wall plug" outlet at the bottom of the center console.
Update: I tried the lightning to USB cord that came with my iPhone and another aftermarket cord and they both worked in all of the USB ports. I plugged in an adapter to the DC port and both cords worked there as well and the AC port using the Apple adapter cube. Looks like I was using a brand new, malfunctioned, cord.

TexasTRX

Reaction score
Has anyone that is having the heat related USB issue gotten a response or fix from a dealer? I’m dropping my truck off today for them to try and verify. Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It happened to me a few times, but not every time its sweltering, so havent brought my truck in. Let us know how it goes. Thanks

tjbirk

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this? My truck was roasting in the sun at work, it was about 34°C/93°F, started the truck and the USB ports were not functional, android auto would not work, USB stick with music was not recognized as being plugged in. Didn't matter which port (I only tried 1 and 2 in the dash).

I drove home, checking periodically if the USB stick would show up, only after about a 30 minute drive with the A/C on did the USB stick show up, and Android Auto then worked as well.

I'll watch for it again on further hot days, see if there is a pattern. This isn't an unusual environment for a truck so I'd expect it to work.

Also going to bring it up with the dealer when I head in for a recall appointment, I'm just interested to know if anyone else on here is seeing an issue like this.

Cheers,
-Jeff
yes, live in phx AZ , once truck got above 110cF port stops working, I'm on my 3rd Port set now. Oh and another wonderful feature of Ram, I'm on my 3rd set of exhaust manifolds. I'm sure everyone has experienced that issue.

PMantle

Reaction score
So, mine just started this. Just so happens this is probably the hottest my truck has ever been. Always in the late afternoon after sitting in the sun. They work the next morning.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, mine just started this. Just so happens this is probably the hottest my truck has ever been. Always in the late afternoon after sitting in the sun. They work the next morning.
Same thing here. Doesn’t always do it. Seems like the thermistor on early build ls is faulty or out of range

Ciege

Reaction score
Same issue on my 19 here in the Phoenix area. I've mentioned it every time the truck has been in for service, but of course they could never replicate the issue.

tbroumley

Reaction score
I have the same issue, in AZ as well. When mine stops working, the light bezel around the USB doesn't light up. If you turn your truck lights on and off you will see the light ring around all the other knobs light up. But when it's hot and my USB isn't working, the lights around it won't light up, like the USB module isn't getting power. As soon as the USB starts working, this lights will light up as I turn the lights on. Test that out and see if you have the same issue.

If that is the issue, it doesn't seem to be the USB connection itself, rather something that powers the USB that is failing in the heat. The wiring harness connection to the USB hub itself maybe?

*note, I've had it in 3 times for this and had the USB module replaced twice.

tbroumley

Reaction score
Anyone get an update? My dealership is trash so no idea when they will respond.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have the same issue, in AZ as well. When mine stops working, the light bezel around the USB doesn't light up. If you turn your truck lights on and off you will see the light ring around all the other knobs light up. But when it's hot and my USB isn't working, the lights around it won't light up, like the USB module isn't getting power. As soon as the USB starts working, this lights will light up as I turn the lights on. Test that out and see if you have the same issue.

If that is the issue, it doesn't seem to be the USB connection itself, rather something that powers the USB that is failing in the heat. The wiring harness connection to the USB hub itself maybe?

*note, I've had it in 3 times for this and had the USB module replaced twice.
It sounds like the thermistor opens and doesn't allot power to the USB media hub during the high temps. What year is your truck?

This is supposed to be the latest version of the HUB. I haven't got it yet, but some say the issue is fixed in this version.

2019-2021 Ram 1500 Media Hub USB Port 68397098AE | Mopar Estores

I haven't been able to find any release notes or change log for the different versions. Can anyone confirm?

We discussed it in this thread:

Bypass Media Hub

tbroumley

Reaction score
Mine is a 21.
68272254AE is what they installed on mine th4 second time.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
So the AE model is still a no go. If it’s not any better I won’t even try it

tbroumley

Reaction score
Mine was a completely different AE model though, the numbers are different. I just ordered the one you referenced, I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread