5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB not functional - truck sitting in sun on hot day - USB recovers after ~30 minutes of A/C

U

User_9089

Has anyone else experienced this? My truck was roasting in the sun at work, it was about 34°C/93°F, started the truck and the USB ports were not functional, android auto would not work, USB stick with music was not recognized as being plugged in. Didn't matter which port (I only tried 1 and 2 in the dash).

I drove home, checking periodically if the USB stick would show up, only after about a 30 minute drive with the A/C on did the USB stick show up, and Android Auto then worked as well.

I'll watch for it again on further hot days, see if there is a pattern. This isn't an unusual environment for a truck so I'd expect it to work.

Also going to bring it up with the dealer when I head in for a recall appointment, I'm just interested to know if anyone else on here is seeing an issue like this.

Cheers,
-Jeff

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine sits in the sun most of the day and I have had usb issues related to heat. My usb hub was replaced due to glitchy CarPlay though so maybe your hub is bad?

U

User_9089

As a person with life long experience in electronics and computers, this is working exactly as expected.
I also have life long experience in electronics. If I am working on a product that is subject to a specified environment, I have to validate its correct operation within that environment.

Generally automotive grade silicon will be qualified for upper ambient ranges between 85°C and 150°C, lending to even higher potential junction temperatures. Even if the lowest grade was used in the chain somewhere, and there was no margin in the design, that leaves a 51°C ambient rise in the truck. I haven't done any formal testing on my truck but maybe I should get out the data logger and thermocouples on the next hot day and see.

I'm not quite ready to accept it is working as expected, but maybe I expect more than I should.

U

User_9089

Mine sits in the sun most of the day and I have had usb issues related to heat. My usb hub was replaced due to glitchy CarPlay though so maybe your hub is bad?
Could be a bad module, could be a weak design.

I'm asking here just to see if there is a general trend, not that it will really amount to much more than speculation. We don't have access to the design details, specification, or verification reports from FCA so it is unfortunately all just speculation. Maybe troutspinner is right, and it is working as expected, but we don't have the deep knowledge of what FCA set as expectations.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Could be a bad module, could be a weak design.

I'm asking here just to see if there is a general trend, not that it will really amount to much more than speculation. We don't have access to the design details, specification, or verification reports from FCA so it is unfortunately all just speculation. Maybe troutspinner is right, and it is working as expected, but we don't have the deep knowledge of what FCA set as expectations.

I meant to say I have NOT had issues related to heat. I have had issues with the usb and had the hub replaced but it definitely was not related. I haven’t noticed any trends (yet) with people complaining about heat related issues

Johnboy

Reaction score
I had a similar experience last week. Mine started to work again after about 15 minutes. It's only happened the one time. The usb under the flip-up console never did fail tho just the front 2. No charge and no Android auto. I'm hoping it's an isolated incident but lots of heat in the future so we'll see.

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I also have life long experience in electronics. If I am working on a product that is subject to a specified environment, I have to validate its correct operation within that environment.

Generally automotive grade silicon will be qualified for upper ambient ranges between 85°C and 150°C, lending to even higher potential junction temperatures. Even if the lowest grade was used in the chain somewhere, and there was no margin in the design, that leaves a 51°C ambient rise in the truck. I haven't done any formal testing on my truck but maybe I should get out the data logger and thermocouples on the next hot day and see.

I'm not quite ready to accept it is working as expected, but maybe I expect more than I should.

It sounds like you have military experience or build to military spec. Unfortunately, we are all beta testers today. USB-C for example was only adopted just 3 years ago. In an automotive environment, in yester-year, 3 years would not even be considered Alpha. I feel for you as this may be a thorn in your side and I know the frustration you will experience to get a resolution meeting your expectations will never be resolved.

U

User_9089

I feel for you as this may be a thorn in your side and I know the frustration you will experience to get a resolution meeting your expectations will never be resolved.
I hear that, if I could learn to accept half baked designs and just move on I'd feel a lot less thorns. I'll hold my breath for now that it was a rare occurrence, or that FCA will address it if the behavior persists, I still have yet to give them the opportunity.

Fingers crossed, I really enjoy this truck overall.

bmarcurella

Reaction score
Mine did it to me yesterday. Nothing would work from the hub, but the console would work. Checked it this morning and they start working. Heat sounds like the cause.

gisboro

Reaction score
Happened twice now in mine, both times outside temp has been north of 110 and the truck has been sitting for 6 or more hours in direct sunlight.
20 minutes into the drive everything turns back on and works as normal. I have not had any issues in the mornings, fairly certain this is a heat related problem. Not sure there is much to be done at this point. I'll talk with my dealer this weekend see if they can offer anything up.

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pull your USB's when it is that hot .. they CANNOT handle that temp. (read the little paper that comes with them).

THEN if you are still having issues, it is your vehicle ..

Solosnavy

Reaction score

not sure if you found the answer your looking for... im a EE, for what its worth sounds as if you have a bad solder connection in the path... either replace or pull out the usb's and resolder...

U

User_9089

not sure if you found the answer your looking for... im a EE, for what its worth sounds as if you have a bad solder connection in the path... either replace or pull out the usb's and resolder...
I'm with you, every day I work on circuit board design and verification on products for use in Safety Instrumented Systems. It is my responsibility to take reliability very seriously, but I won't be dismantling FCAs product and looking for board problems, that is their job. I'd also suspect the possibility of a crystal or MEMS oscillator not starting when hot.

It hasn't happened again but if it comes back I'll give FCA the opportunity to address it.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Been 95+ for weeks on end in Kentucky and my trucks USB has worked like normal. Every so often I have to unplug and plug my phone back in but it's done that since new in February in upstate ny. Funny, my outside temp said it was 122 today til I drove for 5 mins then settled out at 97

waffle-cat

Reaction score
Yep, happening to me in Texas....... I have a carlinkIt 2.0 which gives me wireless carplay. No power in the front USBs, but powers up in the center console and the rear USBs. Problem is they are not connected to the 12" screen. I also tried charging my phone, exactly the same.

The truck will cool down, and the USBs will come back to life.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I disagree with the notion that this is all 'normal operating parameters.' 34°C/93°F outside temps are not even close to average for summertime weather for the majority of places these trucks wind up. Even at that temp, the interior temps usually exceed 130°F (rule of thumb is to add 40°F to the outside ambient air temperature for interior temps). If the electronics are so delicate they can't handle 130°F+, they have no business in automotive applications.

Just sayin'.

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
I've always found that using a power outlet with a UBS charger is far superior to factory USB ports. Plus, it doesn't make the stereo try to link with your phone. Currently, we are using the USB port in the back of the center console lid. If there was a 12V power outlet in there somewhere, I'd use a charger. We haven't had any super-hot days since we bought the truck so I don't know yet how it acts when it's 140 degrees F inside the cab. But it will get that hot in there eventually.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I've been kicking around that idea as well, since my Motorola RAZR 2020 doesn't have wireless charging and the battery is only about half the size of a 'normal' smart phone battery (since the case splits to fold over). It does have 'turbocharge' mode when plugged into a 110 source and usually does the trick within 15-20 minutes, rather than all day trickle charging on the USB.

Good tip!

Users who are viewing this thread