5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

USB not functional - truck sitting in sun on hot day - USB recovers after ~30 minutes of A/C

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes mine does not work intermittently lately. Not temperature related.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sorry, wrote that poorly. It did NOT fix the issue.
That’s depressing. Guess we’re stuck with it then. Wonder why the newer trucks do t have this problem. What’s different? I don’t remember your year model.

godram

Reaction score
live in Vegas and heat definitely affects front USB’s in the summer, kinda annoying but pretty sure electrical components are 120+ degrees, takes hours for it to come back on sometimes. Bluetooth and rear chargers work though! #firstworldproblems

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Just had it happen again today. Temps in West Texas hit 114 today. I hopped in the truck, started it up and the USBs were all inert but the stereo seemed to be working fine otherwise (listened to the local radio station on the way home - remembering why I listen to my USB tunes all the time). The outside temp sensor reading showed 126, which dropped down to 114 about halfway home (11 mile drive). I pulled the USB drive out of the truck and just confirmed functionality on my computer.

I'm hoping it'll be back to normal in the morning. Kinda sucks though, since we're supposed to be in triple-digits for the next few weeks. Last summer was ridiculously hot with over 90 days of triple digits and the system never had issues.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just had it happen again today. Temps in West Texas hit 114 today. I hopped in the truck, started it up and the USBs were all inert but the stereo seemed to be working fine otherwise (listened to the local radio station on the way home - remembering why I listen to my USB tunes all the time). The outside temp sensor reading showed 126, which dropped down to 114 about halfway home (11 mile drive). I pulled the USB drive out of the truck and just confirmed functionality on my computer.

I'm hoping it'll be back to normal in the morning. Kinda sucks though, since we're supposed to be in triple-digits for the next few weeks. Last summer was ridiculously hot with over 90 days of triple digits and the system never had issues.
It actually may have started working again while you were driving, but you would have had to turn the truck off and back on. Some people just pull the fuse, but that’s annoying as well. I don’t remember which fuse it is

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
Actually, I shut the truck off in the driveway, opened the door for a few minutes & closed it, waited a few minutes, started it back up, and still nada. That's when I pulled the USB drive and brought into the house to check functionality.

This morning, I fired up the truck, popped in the USB drive, and it started playing the same tune in the same place it left off with when I parked it after lunch yesterday. I guess sittin' in the sun at 114 for 4-5 hours is some kind of a threshold or something. It was only 108 today, and didn't have any problems. As long as it keeps coming back after something like that, I'll just consider myself lucky and not freak out over it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. (y)

Royal27

Reaction score
Actually, I shut the truck off in the driveway, opened the door for a few minutes & closed it, waited a few minutes, started it back up, and still nada. That's when I pulled the USB drive and brought into the house to check functionality.

This morning, I fired up the truck, popped in the USB drive, and it started playing the same tune in the same place it left off with when I parked it after lunch yesterday. I guess sittin' in the sun at 114 for 4-5 hours is some kind of a threshold or something. It was only 108 today, and didn't have any problems. As long as it keeps coming back after something like that, I'll just consider myself lucky and not freak out over it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. (y)

I have never had this issue on my 2019 until yesterday. It was in this crazy Texas heat all day, then worked after dinner last night. It did it again today.

I know it has been this hot since I had the truck but maybe I just haven't let it sit all day. Who knows?

My dealer has lately had a week to two weeks wait times just to look at a problem so no sense taking it in unless they permanently turn off! So ridiculous that they are that back logged consistently....

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have never had this issue on my 2019 until yesterday. It was in this crazy Texas heat all day, then worked after dinner last night. It did it again today.

I know it has been this hot since I had the truck but maybe I just haven't let it sit all day. Who knows?

My dealer has lately had a week to two weeks wait times just to look at a problem so no sense taking it in unless they permanently turn off! So ridiculous that they are that back logged consistently....
From what others have experienced, the dealer will more than likely change the usb hub. You may get the newest revision, but for most the issue still remains because it had the same thermistor cutoff. Some folks say pulling fuse f43 to reset it works. It doesn’t start working again while you’re driving, even tho the temp comes down. It takes a reset.

I’d like to know where the thermistor is and if we can put in a different one or eliminate it completely. If not can a switch be put on the positive wire feeding the hub so we can reset it in real time while driving once cabin temps come down.

Users who are viewing this thread