5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrading driverside door handle

jshirlotsky

Reaction score
I have a Big Horn Black Edition and obviously it came with the smart key but that doesn't unlock the doors by grabbing the door handle. Has anybody looked into upgrading the handle from a higher model truck that actually has the sensor and button on it and having the truck programmed for it to work? Do you think that it is even doable?

JCLAWS1988

Reaction score
I second this, my big Horn dosnt have the passive entry button to get in, I know it's first world problems but it's incredibly annoying to have to pull the key fob to unlock it just to put it back in my pocket. I talked to the dealer and they said they thought in the future they might start selling the handle with passive key feature but nothing yet. It's a common complaint for our bighorns. For a $50,000 truck my 2016 Hyundai had it.

jshirlotsky

Reaction score
Yeah exactly! I wouldn’t care if I actually needed to use the key to actually start the truck. But to have to take it out literally just to unlock it is incredibly annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jshirlotsky

Reaction score
Why did you guys buy the truck if that is an option you needed?

I did not realize it didn’t have the option. My salesperson already had the door unlocked when I saw the truck and then I just started it with the push button. I’ve never seen a vehicle that has push button start but not smart entry so I did not think to try the door handle.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Big Horn Black Edition and obviously it came with the smart key but that doesn't unlock the doors by grabbing the door handle. Has anybody looked into upgrading the handle from a higher model truck that actually has the sensor and button on it and having the truck programmed for it to work? Do you think that it is even doable?
You're going to need access to the factory shop manuals, or someone from the parts dept, at your local dealership to do a lot of digging to figure out how the door handle passive entry system works. There are a few possibilities:

1. Just a programming change to the existing body control module, obviously the truck already has the RFID in place for the push button start, so the truck knows when the key fob is present. The problem lies in the wiring harness and getting the new handle tied into the system. It's very unlikely the wiring is already in place and just needs a new handle installed.

2. Needs a different body control module or module(s) with wiring provisions for the handles plus programming. Still need all the wires/connectors plus the handles to get everything tied together.

3. Can't be done without tons of effort and $$$ and your best bet may be looking at aftermarket passive entry systems.

One resource you may want to try is Z automotive, they build the tazer DT which can lock and unlock a lot of the functions of the truck like BSM, power folding mirrors and other stuff, they may have some more insight into what you're looking to do.

https://zautomotive.com/product/tazer-dt/

Exchevyguy

Reaction score
Any updates on this ?? I have no idea what the engineers are thinking when they come up with these ideas. Let’s put heated steering wheel but no passive door handle. Mind you. They have the capability to do it.
Driver power seat / passenger manual,
Not sure on this one but I think the heated seats are only the bottoms not the back area.

GBrew

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying the upgrade on my BigHorn. I have a door handle from a higher trim model with the proximity sensor and button (and also the wiring harness from the hiring trim model.) I have disassembled the inner door to get access to the door handle but I can not figure out how to remove the door handle. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the door handle?

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I specifically walked on a great deal on a Big Horn Black with every option I wanted because of that. On my way out the door they found the truck I own and made the same deal. Glad I caught that, got way more truck for the same price.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not realize it didn’t have the option. My salesperson already had the door unlocked when I saw the truck and then I just started it with the push button. I’ve never seen a vehicle that has push button start but not smart entry so I did not think to try the door handle.

I did not realize this either during the sales demo. Not until I got it home and thought " Really, This is standard in a passive lock vehicle." :unsure:

Didn't even think to check. Did not want to upgrade to a Longhorn either even if I did know, just for that one option.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I did not realize this either during the sales demo. Not until I got it home and thought " Really, This is standard in a passive lock vehicle." :unsure:

Didn't even think to check. Did not want to upgrade to a Longhorn either even if I did know, just for that one option.

It is not an option at all in Bighorn or less. Standard on Laramie and up.

Thewrangler73

Reaction score
I am in the process of trying the upgrade on my BigHorn. I have a door handle from a higher trim model with the proximity sensor and button (and also the wiring harness from the hiring trim model.) I have disassembled the inner door to get access to the door handle but I can not figure out how to remove the door handle. Does anyone have instructions on how to remove the door handle?
How has this experiment gone so far? Any progress?

dsn112

Reaction score
It’s going to be way more money and work than it’s worth. While I agree and hate that they did this to save a few dollars, I just hit the button through my pocket and move on. It’s not hard to hit the top button.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also mid-progress in adding the to my vehicle. So far, here's what I've done. I added a 2nd OBD2 port, directly connected to the star-connectors, so I have full access to the CAN-C network and CAN-IHS network, so the pesky security gateway module is out of the way. Next, I got an obdlink-mx and using alfaobd, I enabled PROXIMITY ENTRY / passive entry options in the body control module, and now my radio has the menu for turning on and off the proximity.

I ordered a oem door handle, using a Laramie vin so it has the sensor and button. It's a 2-wire plug, that has to get run back to the RF-hub, which is behind the back seat.
Here's the diagram showing the C2 connector, where mine currently has a void.

I also purchased a new C2 connector and the pin inserts from mouser, so my plan is, wire the handle up with a short wire and just leave it in the back seat, and make sure it works reliably before taking the door all apart.

I should have an update later this week..I'm hoping to have this up and running in my bighorn.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.10.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.10.40 PM.png
    647.4 KB · Views: 104
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.10.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.10.53 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.12.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 4.12.10 PM.png
    278.3 KB · Views: 98

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm also mid-progress in adding the to my vehicle. [...]

IMPRESSIVE work - I've had push button vehicles in the past which didn't have passive key entry and wouldn't have attempted what you're up to, kudos to you.

While you're at it though, what do you think of getting a 2nd door handle for the driver's rear door? Minor inconvenience, but I find myself going to that door first to load bags/gear/etc before even reaching for the driver door.... which I do now with the Rebel.

So that's my plan, add a Drivers-Rear door with PKE handle; figure if you're already down that road, might as well double up the wiring while you have it all apart.

Good Luck!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
this might be possible, however, I dont have any wiring diagrams with rear door sense, and I dont think just adding a 2nd door handle onto the circuit would work, otherwise, they wouldn't already have separate pins for right and left door handle.

Do you know, do the limited or longhorn trucks have rear proximity handles? If so, I can look up the actual diagrams for that truck, and see the pins, then maybe can add them.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you know, do the limited or longhorn trucks have rear proximity handles? If so, I can look up the actual diagrams for that truck, and see the pins, then maybe can add them.

I hope someone with a loaded Limited or so can chime in - I recall when buying our SUV, front only vs all 4 PKE handles were an option; I thought 'no need for all 4' but it was included in the package - i see now how handy it is and miss it on the truck

Thanks for looking things like these up!

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just wanted to post an update since I said I would..Short version: still working on it

I did successfully get passive entry option enabled using alfaobd, and now I have the option to enable it displaying on my radio screen / door lock settings.
I got over to the RF hub behind the rear seat, and I found that, the C2 connector, already has wires populated in the locations, that are suppose to be for the driver and passenger door proximity handle. And the colors matched my diagram. So, I spliced my door handle to the wires, but no dice.

I'm not sure where the wires actually end up, they must be dead ended in a harness plug somewhere. Have to go to diagrams again and find out.
There are also wires populated in the passive-entry antenna locations, and I think I need to purchase the proximity antennas, since my truck is big horn, I think I only have antenna 1 and antenna 2, which are in-cab antennas, utilized for push button start.

I'm very hopeful, and very close. I'm hoping to have this working very soon, and I will do a proper write-up once I succeed.

Users who are viewing this thread