5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade brakes

Nickjansen

Reaction score
Yes.. I drive my truck a little harder than your average half ton driver. The factory brake feel and fade resistance is actually quite impressive. My goal with upgrading the brakes including rotors if possible would be too keep the best trade-off of comfort and street-ability while adding some serious stopping power with bigger and better rotors and calipers if needed or possible. I know GMC offers a performance brake upgrade from the factory on the build list that includes brembo 6 piston's on the front. My hope is that there is a site or a package out there meant for this truck. Any suggestions welcome and if you have replaced your brakes on your Ram.. did you stay OEM or go aftermarket and if so, results? Thanks!

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I would check with CarID there you can see options including, pads, rotors and calipers. I have had great service from them.

i know that Powerstop.com has rotors and pads that are upgrades. I put them on my grand Cherokee and they were great.

i doubt Wilwood would have them for a 2019 but you could check them as well.

Nickjansen

Reaction score
I would check with CarID there you can see options including, pads, rotors and calipers. I have had great service from them.

i know that Powerstop.com has rotors and pads that are upgrades. I put them on my grand Cherokee and they were great.

i doubt Wilwood would have them for a 2019 but you could check them as well.
Thanks I will take a look!

Nickjansen

Reaction score
After looking around, I ended up with the PowerStop Z36 kit. It's being installed right now, so I haven't driven it yet. Smokin' price on RockAuto.
Our part # is K818236
Thank you for letting me know. I took a look at those as well. Please let me know how they feel. If they are nearly no different than stock or so on. Thanks again and in advance!

Stryker6040

Reaction score
After looking around, I ended up with the PowerStop Z36 kit. It's being installed right now, so I haven't driven it yet. Smokin' price on RockAuto.
Our part # is K818236
Can you confirm this kit works? I just contacted them 2-3 weeks ago asking them if they had anything out and the service rep told me no

Dunenutt

Reaction score
I haven't tried them on my new truck, but my other four trucks have Hawk pads on them. There is an incredible difference in the stopping power with the Hawk pads. They do eat rotors a little more than others, but I will take the tradeoff.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Our part # is K818236
All my cars get PowerStop when needing new brakes, great product. Can't beat the shipping from RockAuto either

Olive Green 5.7

Reaction score
I wonder if hellcat parts would fit? Or are they 5 lug? It'd be nice if they did then you would fall back into an "off the shelf" category for when you needed replacement pads / rotors.

DesertMonkey

Reaction score
Thank you for letting me know. I took a look at those as well. Please let me know how they feel. If they are nearly no different than stock or so on. Thanks again and in advance!
I had a Power Stop Z36 on a 2016 Ram 1500. I could lock up the carbon ceramic pads on the cross drilled rotors on dry pavement if I needed to. Even though it had antilock brakes. It could stop almost on a dime... Literally. After my insurance company took it back once it was totaled, I got a 19 new body style Ram. So its a matter of time before it gets a Z36 on it.

Nickjansen

Reaction score
I had a Power Stop Z36 on a 2016 Ram 1500. I could lock up the carbon ceramic pads on the cross drilled rotors on dry pavement if I needed to. Even though it had antilock brakes. It could stop almost on a dime... Literally. After my insurance company took it back once it was totaled, I got a 19 new body style Ram. So its a matter of time before it gets a Z36 on it.
Thank you for sharing your personal experience. I think I may just do the same. Cheers

raysvrx11

Reaction score
The proof is in the pudding... Or rather, the pictures.
View attachment 79596
Fishon how is the stopping power compared to the OEMs. My Rebel is real heavy after adding wheels/tires, racks, RTT etc. If it helped you I am sure it would help me. I've had powerstops before on other rigs but did not feel anymore stopping power than oem.

U

User_18352

I found this on Wilwoods site today, part # for 5th Gen trucks is 140-16790.

Quite expensive, need a 20" wheel minimum and even still it may not fit. Diagrams and what have you are at this link...

IndianaRam

Reaction score
I was looking at these and trying to find out if anyone has tried these yet? They look good and will fit the Rebel 18" rims. Price isn't too bad either.

Users who are viewing this thread