5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade brakes

ayoslickxd

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found this on Wilwoods site today, part # for 5th Gen trucks is 140-16790.

Quite expensive, need a 20" wheel minimum and even still it may not fit. Diagrams and what have you are at this link...

interesting

deepc6

Reaction score
I installed PowerStop Z23 Ceramic Brakes and Rotors on my 2016 1500, I barely got 20k miles out of them. Switched back to the OEM after I had to change my brakes every year. Sold the truck and upgraded to a 5th gen, I am interested in the longevity of the Z36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orion10182011

Reaction score
I went with the Powerstop Z36. After having the truck for a couple of years and a few panic stops later I felt the brakes were lacking. I put the Z36 on the front only (becuase the back were back ordered) . Just doing the fronts made a big difference. I can actually get the ABS to kick on with dry pavement.

I will be doing the back set when funds allow, as they are finally back in stock.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'm interested in this upgrade as well but I have to say, the brakes on my 2019 Limited are far superior to any pickup I have ever owned.
There have been 3 scenarios in this truck where the brakes saved me from certain damage. Two were deer and one was a ******* who decided it was a good idea to stop in the middle of the road on a blind curve to assist a driver pulled over on the side. Truck did 75 to 30 in a heartbeat and still left me enough control to thread the needle with a decent safety margin.

I'm currently at 75k miles and while the OEM are stil measuring good, I'm still looking to the future and trying to decide to rebuild with OEM or go for an upgrade.
They are usually pretty proud of OEM parts and price them accordingly so how does the cost of the Powerstop's compare to OEM?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just had my brakes replaced with Powerstop Z36 pads and rotors yesterday. I ordered them from Summit Racing for $761.99 + tax with free shipping. The rears were in stock and shipped immediately, the fronts were on back order and took 5 weeks to arrive.

So far, they seem to work well and they look great. They have a lot of bite, they’re quiet, no pulsing, etc.

Per the instructions, there is a break-in procedure that needs to be performed to ensure peak performance and prevent rotor warping. This involves aggressive deceleration from 40-10 mph five times in rapid succession, then moderate deceleration from 35-5 five times, followed by a five minute slow drive to cool off the brakes.

The shop that did the install is in a residential area with heavy traffic and a lot of stop signs. It was impossible to perform the break-in exactly as instructed…I did my best. Hopefully it will be OK. Only time will tell!

Last edited:

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just had my brakes replaced with Powerstop Z36 pads and rotors yesterday. I ordered them from Summit Racing for $761.99 + tax with free shipping. The rears were in stock and shipped immediately, the fronts were on back order and took 5 weeks to arrive.

So far, they seem to work well and they look great. They have a lot of bite, they’re quiet, no pulsing, etc.

Per the instructions, there is a break-in procedure that needs to be performed to ensure peak performance and prevent rotor warping. This involves aggressive deceleration from 40-10 mph five times in rapid succession, then moderate deceleration from 35-5 five times, followed by a five minute slow drive to cool off the brakes.

The shop that did the install is in a residential area with heavy traffic and a lot of stop signs. It was impossible to perform the break-in exactly as instructed…I did my best. Hopefully it will be OK. Only time will tell!
I've put Powerstop rotors on three different vehicles and had varying success trying to accomplish the break-in procedure. No issues or warping on any of them

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I installed PowerStop Z23 Ceramic Brakes and Rotors on my 2016 1500, I barely got 20k miles out of them. Switched back to the OEM after I had to change my brakes every year. Sold the truck and upgraded to a 5th gen, I am interested in the longevity of the Z36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
same for me, have to change my z23 every year,... on my new 2022 i might try the z36 to see if it last longer... but the z23 is working very good wi'll it last

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same for me, have to change my z23 every year,... on my new 2022 i might try the z36 to see if it last longer... but the z23 is working very good wi'll it last
That doesn’t sound right. I had 68k on the OEM brakes and could have kept going.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
was not talking about OEM brake, was talking about POWER STOP Z23
I understand but it just doesn’t sound right that you would have to replace brakes every year. Doesn’t sound like much of an “upgrade” to me. Lol!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If you actually care about braking performance in emergency stop situations, you wouldn't run slotted/cross drilled rotors. They reduce the surface area on the rotors for the pad to bite on. And most of the aftermarket slotted/cross drilled rotors aren't properly designed to actually aid in cooling as they are advertised, since they are just regular rotors with slits and holes cut into them with no change to the fun inside to aid in cooling.

If you just want them for the looks to say you have them, then go for it

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yeah the z23 dont seem to last,

i do about 18000miles per year, ... i also tough they should last longer and was disapointed by that,... but now that i see Deepc6 had the same out oh his z23,.. i know its not just me...

on my new truck i'll try the z36 instead to see if they would last longer

however i did like the extra stopping power they added vs OEM,

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am hoping to get 50k miles out of them and then I’m trading my truck in.

crusher

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am hoping to get 50k miles out of them and then I’m trading my truck in.
i hope too, because other than the fact the z23 didnt last, i loved them, maybe its me thats to hards on brake too

do you find that the z36 give you extra stopping power compare to OEM?

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i hope too, because other than the fact the z23 didnt last, i loved them, maybe its me thats to hards on brake too

do you find that the z36 give you extra stopping power compare to OEM?
So far, so good. They seem to perform very well. They’re also quieter then the stock brakes. My stock brakes tended to squeal intermittently, and also had the “moan” in reverse especially when cold.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I used to use Powerstop until I realized they were made in China. It may not be a big deal to some but to me it is. I switched over to EBC. Their stuff is made here, England and Italy. I suspect the rotors are actually made by Brembo.

Code2medic

Reaction score
I used to use Powerstop until I realized they were made in China. It may not be a big deal to some but to me it is. I switched over to EBC. Their stuff is made here, England and Italy. I suspect the rotors are actually made by Brembo.
To bad their website is garbage. Looked and looked and it fails to provide part numbers or prices on anything. It mat have been me but one shouldnt have to dig deep into the product tree to get info

Users who are viewing this thread