5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Upgrade AC System

Qatar

Reaction score
Hi Ram Friends
With 113 F temp :cry: , Im planning to upgrade my 2019 limited Ac system ( Compressor , Condenser,Evaporator )

any advice or suggestion please.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldn’t recommend changing it. The stock system should work well...although you might want to add a valve to ensure maximum cooling, per the A/C “hack” many have discussed here.

My stock system had me feeling chilly yesterday. We were “only” 103 (heat index 110), but I’m guessing it would still perform adequately at 110+.

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Ram Friends
With 113 F temp :cry: , Im planning to upgrade my 2019 limited Ac system ( Compressor , Condenser,Evaporator )

any advice or suggestion please.

Here you are. 49 pages of A/C "hack" discussion. If you insert a valve to stop or reduce coolant flow into the heater core, it will improve A/C performance by quite a bit in most cases.

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My A/C was less than impressive when I bought my truck. During my first warranty visit I had them check the system. Their answer was that it was "in spec" as many others have experienced. They did, howver, reprogram the HVAC blend door anyway and it is 100% better.

My A/C wouldn't keep up with anything over 75F outside (MAX A/C and fan speed 7) when I first got it. Now my cab is cool even when it's 100F outside (normal A/C and fan speed 5). It's still not as cold as other A/Cs I've had but it works and is enough to satisfy me.

Granted it was for a different reason than not getting cold (doesn't get cold when the truck is stopped) but I just saw on another thread that someone took their truck in and the dealership there was a software update per TSB 24-001-19 and STAR Case S1808000214: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/a-c-gets-warm-when-stopped-or-at-idle.22937/#post-321005

My last truck (Ford F-250) had the same issue (constant flow through the heater core) and I had a ball valve on that one for 10 years. It worked great but I'm not interested in modifying my truck to meet my expectations at this price point or while it's still under the B2B warranty. I will keep taking it in to the dealership so that a) it doesn't get fixed on my dime and b) it gets filed with FCA that there is an HVAC issue for them to investigate.

I know that the 'hack' works (did that for 10 years) and have nothing against others doing the mod. What does bother me is that many have the issue, read that the dealership doesn't do anything, post about their disappointment, then do the mod. How does FCA know there's a real issue (rather than a small discrepancy) if nobody takes their truck into the dealership and get the problem logged and filed?

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now...;)

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 2020, people have had AC issues since these trucks came out in 2018. If they haven’t addressed the crap AC system in 2 years of people complaining, it’s a pretty safe guess they aren’t going to.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s 2020, people have had AC issues since these trucks came out in 2018. If they haven’t addressed the crap AC system in 2 years of people complaining, it’s a pretty safe guess they aren’t going to.
There's a STAR case and a TSB for a software update. I'm not saying that they've addressed it but it looks like FCA has recognized it.

Compared to the uConnect 4 8.4" update that I've been waiting for since I bought the truck 15 months ago at least it's something.

We aren't the only ones. I went and test drove a new Tacoma with my wife yesterday (~85F outside) and the A/C wasn't much better than mine...and that cab is much smaller.

Users who are viewing this thread