5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"updated" fuel filler neck still gets gas pumps stuck to it.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Since this has been going on for months now in between multiple dealer visits, I have tried every which way but and loose! So did Ram tech with me at the station.

I've asked in a few places online about this issue trying to find the fix as I really like this truck have only driven Rams going back to the 1990's etc. The tech and the Star Team too worked on it for months. As mentioned, 40 plus business days at the dealer for it over various times and attempted resolves. Some have told me they have had fuel necks replaced as the fix, others have had entire gas tanks replaced and it fixed it. Others have had up to three gas tanks replaced and then they just traded it in etc.

I have no issue with my service advisor or dealer techs, they are good people. They can only do so much with what they are given in terms of latest parts etc from the factory.

Newer California pump set ups seem to be the biggest enemy. Some have said, "Just find another station that doesn't stick and only go to that one." As I travel California to Oregon often with pets, family etc, that doesn't work. And, again, knowing California, when they make it mandatory stations all have this newer pump and if/when the truck is out of warranty at that point, ultra screwed.

Each time the latest redesign of the fuel neck has been installed, gassing up the first few times has a little to no glitch. Then, time 4 on or so, forget it. Battle is on.

Up, down, side to side, smooth, hard, soft, fast slow...even a few "Come on Babies" thrown in and still a good half hour each time while the pump is knotted in the hole. Yes Yes, I've heard or made just about every joke over the situation at this point.

I'm hoping if it's in connection with something beyond just the neck making it happen that a 2021 build won't have the possible issue. Though, I'm having major hesitation on ordering a 2021 as a result.

Thanks for your input and comments. And again, putting this here for reference in case others have the issue now or in the future.
There is your problem... California. This is part of their plan to eliminate gas powered cars. If you cant stick a filler in and/or get it out, then you cant drive it!!!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There is your problem... California. This is part of their plan to eliminate gas powered cars. If you cant stick a filler in and/or get it out, then you cant drive it!!!

Lol, maybe true :) Though I don't have any issues gassing up our RAM & Silverado with Cali pumps.

Though to be honest, the whole no gas powered car sales by the end 2035 is a moot point to give Newsome some BS news cred. Many other countries have essentially put in the same intension of ending new gas sales by then and most manufacturers don't expect to have any gas cars for sale by then. There are several manufacturers who intend on going full electric well before that year, so it's just grand standing.

Derek916

Reaction score
I've experienced this issue twice out of my four fill ups in California on my '22 1500. Anyone else still experiencing this issue? I will try angling it vertical next time...

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
I've experienced this issue twice out of my four fill ups in California on my '22 1500. Anyone else still experiencing this issue? I will try angling it vertical next time...
Just seeing your more recent post about this problem happening on your 22 Ram. Does the twist and turn work to get it to release? I was wondering if there were still issues in 22 as it's time for my next truck. I left Ram after this one had to be lemon lawed and it took a year. I'm reading in various places people still having issues. I tried the toilet tank gasket possible fix and that didn't work either.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just seeing your more recent post about this problem happening on your 22 Ram. Does the twist and turn work to get it to release? I was wondering if there were still issues in 22 as it's time for my next truck. I left Ram after this one had to be lemon lawed and it took a year. I'm reading in various places people still having issues. I tried the toilet tank gasket possible fix and that didn't work either.
I mean I have fuel tank problems in my 22. It depends on the pump I go to at the station.

Derek916

Reaction score
I sold my truck but the fix for me was to push the gas nozzle further into the pump and then lift it straight up. Here is a video of it being stuck though..so if your issue was similar, i'd say that the issue isn't fixed, but it is tolerable. Maybe buy the 33 gallon so you fill less, lol.

Davidbt

Reaction score
My wife owned a 2015 that had this same issue from day one when we lived in Komiefornia. She found a couple of stations in our area that she didn't have a problem. The first day she bought it we were stuck at the station trying to get it unstuck.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
I sold my truck but the fix for me was to push the gas nozzle further into the pump and then lift it straight up. Here is a video of it being stuck though..so if your issue was similar, i'd say that the issue isn't fixed, but it is tolerable. Maybe buy the 33 gallon so you fill less, lol.

Wow, Ram still hasn't figured it this issue by 2022. Per your video, same problem. Twist turn, slow easy, push in and pull up, putting the toilet ring seal at the top of the tank...nothing worked to free it.

As in my initial post here and then other posts from me in this thread, multiple fuel neck redesigns and a year long lemon law battle over mine.

I had to park the thing for months during that buy back process as I'd get stuck at a station for up to a half hour at a time, even the Ram tech saw it happen right after a factory redesign "fix" he just did. Would have to physical go in aggressively and pry it out with screwdrivers. Even that was a battle...not an easy pop off.

It pained me, but I left Ram. in it's been a couple years, was hoping to go back. Seeing/reading your posts...nope. Not going to take the chance again. Dang.

I've had a Gladiator for 2 years or so. It's fun...just want to go back to a full size truck.
What did you replace your Ram with?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven't had this issue anymore, I think pulling it straight up and out some how adjusted the inner neck hole that it no longer gets stuck.

Derek916

Reaction score
Wow, Ram still hasn't figured it this issue by 2022. Per your video, same problem. Twist turn, slow easy, push in and pull up, putting the toilet ring seal at the top of the tank...nothing worked to free it.

As in my initial post here and then other posts from me in this thread, multiple fuel neck redesigns and a year long lemon law battle over mine.

I had to park the thing for months during that buy back process as I'd get stuck at a station for up to a half hour at a time, even the Ram tech saw it happen right after a factory redesign "fix" he just did. Would have to physical go in aggressively and pry it out with screwdrivers. Even that was a battle...not an easy pop off.

It pained me, but I left Ram. in it's been a couple years, was hoping to go back. Seeing/reading your posts...nope. Not going to take the chance again. Dang.

I've had a Gladiator for 2 years or so. It's fun...just want to go back to a full size truck.
What did you replace your Ram with?
2023 Toyota Highlander platinum. It’s alright. Some of it is new tech and other drives me nuts. It’s the highest trim of the highlander and my interior lights are a mixture of halogen and LED. Why!? On the bright side the fuel system is from the 90s and it doesn’t have any crap for the nozzle to get stuck. Still has a fuel cap. I would have ordered another Ram but the Limited trim became to expensive for me. 67k base price msrp…

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2023 Toyota Highlander platinum. It’s alright. Some of it is new tech and other drives me nuts. It’s the highest trim of the highlander and my interior lights are a mixture of halogen and LED. Why!? On the bright side the fuel system is from the 90s and it doesn’t have any crap for the nozzle to get stuck. Still has a fuel cap. I would have ordered another Ram but the Limited trim became to expensive for me. 67k base price msrp…
if you wanna come back to RAM order it from Mark Dodge. There's a thread here dedicated to them and that's the best car buying experience I've had ever.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score

if you wanna come back to RAM order it from Mark Dodge. There's a thread here dedicated to them and that's the best car buying experience I've had ever.
I can second that.
I got my fully loaded Limited for 67k pre-rebates (80k mrsp)
You ask why a mix of halogen and LEDs? Because you bought a Toyota.

Derek916

Reaction score
Yeah I know…just the price hikes over the past year really turned me off. I’m having a kid next year so I will have to see what is in my cards as far as vehicles. Maybe when they announce the v8 is going away is when I will come running back haha.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah I know…just the price hikes over the past year really turned me off. I’m having a kid next year so I will have to see what is in my cards as far as vehicles. Maybe when they announce the v8 is going away is when I will come running back haha.
oh you better put your order in FAST.
my guess is 2024 is going to be no more V8 since Hurricane engines are making their ways into 2023 FCA vehicles already and 2024 will be the 5th year of 5th Gen Rams, so makes sense they do a life cycle impulse in 2024. And given the lead time on these custom ordered trucks... the later you order the later you get pushed back. If you order too late they may just cancel it due to... you guessed it, no more v8

Draconicus Mechanicus

Reaction score
I had the stuck nozzle problems on my 2022 when I first got it, Maryland gas pumps on base. It wasn't stuck nearly as bad as y'all are describing though, it would just make me mess around with it for a few seconds. I found the lifting up and out to be the ticket, sometimes combining with a twist to the side. Eventually it stopped getting stuck, I haven't had any problems with it since moving back to California. I also used to have problems with the auto shut off kicking the pump off after only a second or two of filling, found I needed to shove the nozzle in deeper to kinda sorta fix that but it would still kick off at full speed and those stations didn't have locks on the trigger so I had to hold it about half way the whole time, very annoying. It seemed to no long be a problem since leaving Maryland, never had issues with those pumps when I had my 2019 Tacoma so it was a problem with the RAM and not the pumps, Tacoma didn't have the capless system either. Very similar if not the same nozzles over there as here in Cali, but again, I've had no more issues with mine.

Users who are viewing this thread