5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UPDATE Another FOB Problem

Jhaney

Reaction score
The last 2 days my truck isn’t recognizing my FOB’s. I’ve changed the batteries and still having same problems. I’ve read thru the other posts but my situation seems different. It doesn’t matter what distance I’m at, left or right pocket, when it won’t work, it won’t work. I can unlock the door, set the alarm off and start the truck. When I turn the truck off the FOB goes to working again. I hit the Remote start this am and again the FOB won’t work again. Went thru the same process again and it’s worked today. Any clues? Thanks

J4U

Reaction score
I am assuming this only happens at home. Do you have a ring doorbell or Arlo camera system?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The last 2 days my truck isn’t recognizing my FOB’s. I’ve changed the batteries and still having same problems. I’ve read thru the other posts but my situation seems different. It doesn’t matter what distance I’m at, left or right pocket, when it won’t work, it won’t work. I can unlock the door, set the alarm off and start the truck. When I turn the truck off the FOB goes to working again. I hit the Remote start this am and again the FOB won’t work again. Went thru the same process again and it’s worked today. Any clues? Thanks

You've got a few variables to work through to figure out when it doesn't work:
1. Does it only happen in one location? Can be interference from a lot of different things. Could even be interference from something you've installed on the truck like aftermarket LED lights.
2. You indicate problems with both frequencies. The longer range key fob buttons (lock, unlock, remote start, etc.) use one frequency and the near field items (touch handle to unlock, start inside truck) use another. If you can narrow it down to one or both that can help lead to a solution.
3. Could be a bad fob so try the other one. The last item to suspect is the antenna in the cab that picks up these signals. A few on the forum have had theirs replaced to solve this.

Jhaney

Reaction score
You've got a few variables to work through to figure out when it doesn't work:
1. Does it only happen in one location? Can be interference from a lot of different things. Could even be interference from something you've installed on the truck like aftermarket LED lights.
2. You indicate problems with both frequencies. The longer range key fob buttons (lock, unlock, remote start, etc.) use one frequency and the near field items (touch handle to unlock, start inside truck) use another. If you can narrow it down to one or both that can help lead to a solution.
3. Could be a bad fob so try the other one. The last item to suspect is the antenna in the cab that picks up these signals. A few on the forum have had theirs replaced to solve this.
Nothing new installed to my truck and the problem is with both FOB’s. Doesn’t matter the distance, they just won’t work until the truck is started with the FOB to the start button.

Jhaney

Reaction score
Seems there is a receiver module that wasn’t going into sleep mode thus causing the battery to draw down overnight to the point the FOB’s wouldn’t work ( a safety mode) thus keeping the battery from completely going dead. Dealership did 7 reflash’s and it seems back going again

41magmag41

Reaction score
are you hitting the fob twice when you want to start it. I find the first seems to wake the system up and the 2nd hit starts it. Just a thought.

Jhaney

Reaction score
My problem continued so the whole key fob system was replaced and I’ve had no issues the last 6 weeks

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My problem continued so the whole key fob system was replaced and I’ve had no issues the last 6 weeks

Thank you for sharing this update, Jhaney! Glad to hear that you are no longer experiencing this concern. Should you ever have any questions or concerns down the road, our team is just a PM away and happy to help.

Mark
RamCares

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/