5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unusual "Scratchy/Rattle" sound coming from Transmission/Transfer case in 1st gear around 1700 RPM. 2019 Ram 5.7

Prestontocco

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

This is my first post on here and I am really hoping to find someone who experiences this in their 2019 Ram 1500 w/ 5.7 Hemi (no e-torque).

I drive about 50 minutes to work and for the first half of my commute everything is peachy with the sounds coming from my truck. After it's really warmed up, I notice a sound coming from (presumably) the transmission or transfer case in 1st gear around 1700rpm. It's challenging to describe the sound, but the best I can say is it's a scratchy/rattle sound for a moment, but it happens every time I stop at a red light then accelerate. If I accelerate slower, its more audible for more time, if I accelerate quicker it's a brief sound. Lastly, if I am in a drive-through, it's extremely noticeable with the windows down and the noise bouncing from the wall. There are no trans issues at all, shifts great and smooth. The only other thing that is related to this area of the truck that I'll note is that during winter when I put it in 4wd lock, I noticed an occasional subtle metallic ringing sound for moments that I would presume is coming from the transfer case.

Any idea's would be great! I took it in last year for this noise and of course the dealership said they couldn't detect anything abnormal but I assure you this is not normal and requires the truck to be really warmed up. I obsess over this and would love to get it resolved! Thanks everyone!

killerformula

Reaction score
I have a similar type of experience with my '22. It kind of has a part throttle stumble out of first gear. It does come with a little odd noise from the motor too. Almost seems like it has maybe deactivated a couple of the cylinders and the others are coming back online? If I stick the throttle a bit more aggressively it doesn't do it. Be interesting to know what it is. Seems like it needs a software massage.

JLaw297

Reaction score
I think what your describing is similar to the sound mine is making as well. There’s a scratch sound a second or two after take off. See video link and let me know!

JLaw297

Reaction score
I feel like it’s something transmission/torque converter related based on sound and feel. The reason I think that is if you take off quick, the sound is shorter and quicker which correlates to how torque converter engagement works. Harder acceleration = quicker lockup. Slow acceleration = slower less aggressive lock up. If I accelerate very slow, like I would pulling through a neighborhood gate, the scratch sound is slightly longer than a normal acceleration. Duration of the sound is very dependent on how quick or slow I take off from a stop.

It’s annoying but I haven’t bothered to take it to the dealer for a couple reasons.. 1. it shifts like a dream during normal acceleration or WOT and doesn’t give any indication of a mechanical issue. 2 - it’s not happening every single time so I feel like they are going to say we don’t hear it or it’s going to be hard to repeat several times on a lift to diagnose. 3 - my truck is CPO so it’s covered for 7 years/100k miles and I only have 46k. I’ll wait to see if it gets worse.

Sgoodwin1

Reaction score
Yeah it’s annoying but everything shifts and is working as should. Not sure if it’s torque converter related or something else.

Prestontocco

Reaction score
I think what your describing is similar to the sound mine is making as well. There’s a scratch sound a second or two after take off. See video link and let me know!

This is exactly the sound! I'm happy I'm not the only one because I tend to be the person with the one random oddity that nobody can diagnose. I also have a 7y 100k certified warranty so I'll probably mention it sometime before the end of that. However with all the videos I've attempted, yours captures the sound the best. Thanks!

SueHarada

Reaction score
yup, I posted the same ?? wtf? As you mentioned, no issues, just that harmonic is distressing, hell, you should hear the noise my plane makes!!

mike1

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2021 v8 with 8k miles. And just started to experience this exact thing. It only happens when the trans is at operating temp. Same exact noise always in 1st gear and sometimes in second. It does not seem to correlate with the shift from first to second but the time spent in first gear or so minimal that it's kind of hard to tell. Anyone figure it out?

JLaw297

Reaction score
Mine still does it to this day. Thinking about taking to the dealer soon to see if they can figure it out before I’m out of warranty. Same thing though..only happens at temp and only in first gear and at operating temp.

mike1

Reaction score
Do you notice a vibration through the gas pedal correlating with the sound?

jamesjiii

Reaction score
Has anyone found any solution for this? I have the same issue, the other day I unbolted where the driveshaft attaches to the transmission, and you can grab where the spline slides in and literally rotate about a 1/4" or so either way and replicate the noise. Have read all over internet and below is the only thing I can find, seemed to be an issue with the last generation. You can also just grab the driveshaft on the transmission side of slip yoke and rotate clockwise/counterclockwise to hear it.

"Noise is what we call "warble", and it's caused by excessive backlash in the spline (inside the torque converter) that connects the Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) to the turbine hub. Basically, what happens is that there is a slight amount of play in this spline, and under the right conditions (which if I recall correctly is light throttle cruise with the TCC in partial lock mode) the TCC and turbine hub rattle against each other."

mike1

Reaction score
Fellas I'm out. Between all the manifold and lifter stories and all of the different weird noises my truck makes while cold in addition to this noise, I traded it in for a different car. This was the best driving truck I could find for the money and it never left me stranded, but I just don't have faith in it... Good luck all.

Users who are viewing this thread