5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unpopular opinion(?): I like the 4th gen styling better than 5th gen

Reverse

Reaction score
First: I love my black 2020 Limited truck. It's as comfortable as a luxury car and has all the bells and whistles I could ask for. Everything works, and most of it works well. Many things in 5th gen truck make the drive more comfortable, such as telescoping steering wheel and the roomier back seat. I plan to drive it until the wheels fall off.

However....

Whenever I see our two trucks together, I prefer the 4th gen styling over the 5th gen. At first I assumed I just needed to get used to the new style. We have now owned the 2020 for almost three years and my opinion hasn't changed. With the 5th gen, Ram has gone a little too soft on the styling IMO. I like it a little more aggressive and the 4th gen struck the perfect compromise for me.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that, I know. But I'd still be interested to know what others here think?

1652485694674.png

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I felt the same when the 5th gen came out so I didn't make the jump until mid last year.
I felt the 4th gen had a more aggresive look, maybe like old school truck or something and that the 5th gen was too modern.
Now I think both are awesome looking trucks. 20180122_183654.jpg imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Back in 2018 I could have bought a 5th gen but went with a 4th gen Sport cause I really liked the look and especially the front end. The 5gens quickly grew on me however and now I definitely prefer the 5th. 4th gens are still cool looking trucks but are really showing their age especially the box sides and rear end/tailgate/tail lights.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve held out for a lot of years because I just didn’t like the big RAM lettering on the 5th Gen grill. Much prefer the physical ram head emblem on the 4th Gen.

Think I will like the RAM lettering blacked out on the grill of my new truck much better. The chrome just doesn’t do it for me. Too flashy. My last two trucks were fully chromed Laramie’s so going away from all chrome will actually be a nice change of pace.

Back in 1999 I had a blue Ram Sport. Those had the grill attached to the hood and basically the whole front end lifted. The styling then was still going off the big rig theme. Seems as time goes on RAM is getting away from that and looking like all the other trucks on the road. Hopefully the next model refresh will change that.

Last edited:

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is nothing I prefer on a 4th Gen over a 5th Gen.

The dealer gave me a 1500 Classic as a loaner when I had the A/C TSB performed and I could not wait to get my truck back. I hated driving that thing.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As far as looks, I suppose I could go either way. I like them both, really. Ram was the only full-size styling I ever liked in the last 20 years outside of the Titan, which I drove for years. But as far as usefulness and functionality there's no comparison. When my Titan was getting real long in the tooth, I drove a 2018 Ram and while it was a nice truck it wasn't nearly as useful to me as the Titan - didn't have a flat floor but instead those useless tool corral doodads, back seat area was much smaller so you couldn't haul proper tools in them, etc. The 5th gen fixed all the things I didn't like about the previous gens (especially the back seat flat floor, which I need for my dogs and tools) and still kept nice styling. I would have preferred to have more chrome - yeah, I'm an old school guy (and old guy) - but the black on black look has grown on me.

Oh, and yeah - your opinion will be unpopular here. It's not likely everyone in here is going to say "Damn right, I knew this design sucked all along, I'm switching trucks and switching forums".

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve held out for a lot of years because I just didn’t like the big RAM lettering on the 5th Gen grill. Much prefer the physical ram head emblem on the 4th Gen.

Think I will like the RAM lettering blacked out on the grill of my new truck much better. The chrome just doesn’t do it for me. Too flashy. My last two trucks were fully chromed Laramie’s so going away from all chrome will actually be a nice change of pace.

Back in 1999 I had a blue Ram Sport. Those had the grill attached to the hood and basically the whole front end lifted. The styling then was still going off the big rig theme. Seems as time goes on RAM is getting away from that and looking like all the other trucks on the road. Hopefully the next model refresh will change that.
2018-04-22 15.56.44.jpg 2018-04-22 17.30.14.jpg

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Loved my 4th Gen and hated the 5th gens for awhile until I spotted the sport package and took a closer look at them. IMO the 4th Gen had a more aggressive look but everything else on the 5th gens is an improvement. Still wouldn’t buy a 5th Gen unless it had the sport package or else it’s to plain Jane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I honestly agree, at least initially, when I first saw the 5th gen styling. I thought the 5th gen looked like a GTA 5 version of the previous RAM, something they would design to kinda look like a RAM but off just enough to prevent licensing issues.

I changed my mind after I saw a bright red Rebel on the dealership lot. It was like a God aimed a beam of light on me and Angels started singing, I fell in love with the look and design on the spot and took her home the next day.

Since then, I've grown to appreciate the 5th gen design, to the point that now when I see a 4th gen, it looks really dated to me. This is of course natural, this always happens when a new design matures after a few years.

Though with the F150, I don't really feel the previous gen looks dated, mainly because the new gen looks almost the same. GM's new design in 2019 was maybe a slight improvement to the previous gen (some say opposite), though the interior looked like it was already 10 years old.

I usually get bored after 2-3 years and want something new. In the first time in about a decade, I don't have that feeling for something new.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I wasn't interested in Ram trucks until the 4th Gen came out, but I just couldn't get past the cross hair grille. Actually, I didn't like the entire front end with the big rig look. Once the 5th Gen came out, especially the Night Edition, I thought it was the best looking full sized truck by far...still do.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I was driving a nissan suv up until 2015. When it was time to replace the suv I wanted to buy a pickup and looked at literally all brands. I thought the 4th gen ram looked the best but couldnt get a deal on a new one that I was satisfied with. During my search, my friend who happens to be a sales lady at a local ram dealer called me and told me about a trade they were making a deal on. It was a used 2011 bighorn quad cab with only 35k miles on it. I made the deal and took it. I loved it and it was problem free other than regular maintenance for the 5 years I drove it. When the 5th gens first came out I wasn't a big fan. I thought they looked like a Toyota Tundra. As more trim levels were released it started to grow on me. The LED lighting and the blacked out and color matched bumpers made a huge difference for me but I kept driving my 11 Bighorn with chrome bumpers lol. I happened to not be able to sleep one night so I was scouring the internet and came across a 5th gen I had to have. It was a 21 crew cab in orange which happens to be my favorite color. I knew nothing about it at the time but it was the Built to Serve edition in Spitfire Orange with blacked out grill and bumpers. I'm a Harley guy and their colors are orange and black so basically I had to have the Ram lol. I went and looked at it and instantly noticed the improvements over my 11. It was more comfortable and had way more room in the cab. It rode more plush if you will than my 11. Basically all around better so I made the deal and drove it home. I still love the 4th gen Rams but couldn't be happier with my 5th gen. As I said, im a Harley guy and orange is my favorite color 20210624_101725.jpg

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was driving a nissan suv up until 2015. When it was time to replace the suv I wanted to buy a pickup and looked at literally all brands. I thought the 4th gen ram looked the best but couldnt get a deal on a new one that I was satisfied with. During my search, my friend who happens to be a sales lady at a local ram dealer called me and told me about a trade they were making a deal on. It was a used 2011 bighorn quad cab with only 35k miles on it. I made the deal and took it. I loved it and it was problem free other than regular maintenance for the 5 years I drove it. When the 5th gens first came out I wasn't a big fan. I thought they looked like a Toyota Tundra. As more trim levels were released it started to grow on me. The LED lighting and the blacked out and color matched bumpers made a huge difference for me but I kept driving my 11 Bighorn with chrome bumpers lol. I happened to not be able to sleep one night so I was scouring the internet and came across a 5th gen I had to have. It was a 21 crew cab in orange which happens to be my favorite color. I knew nothing about it at the time but it was the Built to Serve edition in Spitfire Orange with blacked out grill and bumpers. I'm a Harley guy and their colors are orange and black so basically I had to have the Ram lol. I went and looked at it and instantly noticed the improvements over my 11. It was more comfortable and had way more room in the cab. It rode more plush if you will than my 11. Basically all around better so I made the deal and drove it home. I still love the 4th gen Rams but couldn't be happier with my 5th gen. As I said, im a Harley guy and orange is my favorite color View attachment 129452
Your oranges don’t match. How do you sleep at night?

shayzj

Reaction score
I was driving a nissan suv up until 2015. When it was time to replace the suv I wanted to buy a pickup and looked at literally all brands. I thought the 4th gen ram looked the best but couldnt get a deal on a new one that I was satisfied with. During my search, my friend who happens to be a sales lady at a local ram dealer called me and told me about a trade they were making a deal on. It was a used 2011 bighorn quad cab with only 35k miles on it. I made the deal and took it. I loved it and it was problem free other than regular maintenance for the 5 years I drove it. When the 5th gens first came out I wasn't a big fan. I thought they looked like a Toyota Tundra. As more trim levels were released it started to grow on me. The LED lighting and the blacked out and color matched bumpers made a huge difference for me but I kept driving my 11 Bighorn with chrome bumpers lol. I happened to not be able to sleep one night so I was scouring the internet and came across a 5th gen I had to have. It was a 21 crew cab in orange which happens to be my favorite color. I knew nothing about it at the time but it was the Built to Serve edition in Spitfire Orange with blacked out grill and bumpers. I'm a Harley guy and their colors are orange and black so basically I had to have the Ram lol. I went and looked at it and instantly noticed the improvements over my 11. It was more comfortable and had way more room in the cab. It rode more plush if you will than my 11. Basically all around better so I made the deal and drove it home. I still love the 4th gen Rams but couldn't be happier with my 5th gen. As I said, im a Harley guy and orange is my favorite color View attachment 129452
Dude I swear I passed you in the opposite direction on 81 south last tuesday headed down to Tennessee. Were you towing the Harley that day?

Users who are viewing this thread