5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uneven tailgate cables?

Tellsch

Reaction score
I replaced the tailgate cable on the driver's side today with part number 68488335AA from the TSB. Holding the cables next to each other they appear pretty close to identical. Once installed, there is still slack, but not as much. When I put weight on the tailgate the slack is gone. With the old cable, the slack was always there even with weight on the tailgate.

So it is an improvement, but not perfect. Seems to be functioning as designed based on the above quote.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
I just noticed this on mine last night. Weird thing is there is a little slack on BOTH cables, even with the tailgate all the way down. If I put my full body weight on the tailgate, it still doesn't take up the slack. Should I be worried or is this normal? What's supporting the tailgate if not the cables? I assume something in the pivots.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just noticed this on mine last night. Weird thing is there is a little slack on BOTH cables, even with the tailgate all the way down. If I put my full body weight on the tailgate, it still doesn't take up the slack. Should I be worried or is this normal? What's supporting the tailgate if not the cables? I assume something in the pivots.

Hi bigoldthor,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. Please follow up with me via PM so I can look into this further for you!

Mark
RamCares

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Hi bigoldthor,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. Please follow up with me via PM so I can look into this further for you!

Mark
RamCares
Thanks, Mark. Message sent...hope I did it right. Used the Conversations link at the top right of the page.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
Funny, I noticed this a couple weeks ago...will ask for them to review it next service appointment. Had my 450lb snowmobile in the back without an issue. The tension of the long cable seemed to be fine while in use, but they should be the same size.

RamCares

Reaction score
Funny, I noticed this a couple weeks ago...will ask for them to review it next service appointment. Had my 450lb snowmobile in the back without an issue. The tension of the long cable seemed to be fine while in use, but they should be the same size.

Hey @Cravenfan - If you are in need of any additional support while in service, please do not hesitate to follow up with us via PM!

Mark
RamCares

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Sharing with the group.

Took mine in today and they confirmed the issue. Interestingly, they don't have any of the correct cables in stock. They told me each dealership was allocated only one (1) of the new cable part numbers per week. These things are either in short supply (Tier 1 supplier issue?) or the problem is more widespread than we imagined...or both.

Anyway, they're going to call me when it comes in and I'll run over there and have it put on. Should only take a few minutes.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
BTW, I love that video in your signature. That guy is a riot - most all his videos are awesome.

RamCares

Reaction score
Sharing with the group.

Took mine in today and they confirmed the issue. Interestingly, they don't have any of the correct cables in stock. They told me each dealership was allocated only one (1) of the new cable part numbers per week. These things are either in short supply (Tier 1 supplier issue?) or the problem is more widespread than we imagined...or both.

Anyway, they're going to call me when it comes in and I'll run over there and have it put on. Should only take a few minutes.

Hey @bigoldthor - thank you for sharing this update! If the delay ends up being longer than expected, please do not hesitate to let me know so I can escalate a case on your behalf to try and get the cables in as soon as possible.

Mark
RamCares

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm it is not because of the damper. I switched cables from side to side (cables are identical in length). It's the welded in mounting points in the bed that are off. It's very common in the industry - I had a brand new Ranger as a rental in CO last week with the flimsiest tailgate I've ever run across. It had the exact same problem. I just laughed and shook my head.
I've been around trucks for 7 decades and this is so normal I can't remember if I have ever seen one that didn't have slack on one side. And that goes back to when tailgates were one-sided stamped panels and used chains instead of cables.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030628 miles.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sharing with the group.

I was at my dealer yesterday, and I was told the same thing. He said he was good to order it though so I should have it installed tomorrow.

The slack on my cable is pretty severe. I had probably 400-500 pounds of service techs sitting on the tailgate, and I could still move the cable an inch+ back and forth. It's basically providing 0 support to the tailgate.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
So if the cable(s) are not supporting the weight, what is? I assume the tailgate hinges/pivots but also assume that would not be a good thing long term.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So if the cable(s) are not supporting the weight, what is? I assume the tailgate hinges/pivots but also assume that would not be a good thing long term.
The passenger cable supports the weight 100%. I read that TSB from earlier in this thread, went "hmm that sounds like my driver cable", checked my tailgate, and had that issue. Took the TSB to the dealer, and they immediately ordered the part after looking at the cable.

My reasoning for replacing, other than it's wrong, is that with a short bed I can't transport my motorcycle without the back wheel resting on the tailgate. I'd rather not get 4-5 years down the road and have my tailgate warped or something else happen because it's pulling 100% on that passenger cable.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So got it changed out at lunch today. The newer cable still has slack, but not as much as the old one. At least now when there is weight on the tailgate there is no longer slack, so I'm satisfied enough to where I don't want to pursue it.

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Sharing with the group.

Update: they called me at 7:30 this morning to tell me the cable (strap) was in and I could bring it in today for installation. In and out in 30 minutes from arrival to departure. All is good, cables appear to be very even in length and tension. Very pleased with the responsiveness and service of my dealer so far.

TheTank

Reaction score

TheTank

Reaction score
So got it changed out at lunch today. The newer cable still has slack, but not as much as the old one. At least now when there is weight on the tailgate there is no longer slack, so I'm satisfied enough to where I don't want to pursue it.
Ram dealership said slack is by design, however some are out of spec, the TSB.

airgas1998

Reaction score
That was totally me the day before I bought it...my buddy sent it to me and I was laughing my butt off! :ROFLMAO:
what's a "dodge" ram...he must be talking about older generation ones, and not about that blacked out Ram behind him.

Users who are viewing this thread