5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Under Hood Engine Compartment Light

Ram-583

Reaction score
Does any one know if there is a Mopar Part# or a kit for an Under Hood Engine Light? It seems the 5th Gen's do not have one.....

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my '08 Big Horn I added a set of LED Strip Lights around the perimeter of the
Hood tied into the hood switch. You could rebuild the engine under those LEDs.
The stock light, you could almost check your Oil.

I will do the same on my '21 Laramie but run leads to the battery with a switch to operate.
Remember to run power to both ends of the Strip in case a LED burns out.

Malodave

DeanM2

Reaction score
My 2023 Big Horn seems to have a hood switch, but there are no lights under the hood. I am guessing the switch is only used to tell you the hood is open, and/or part of the anti-theft system. Anyone know if that switch on the left side of the radiator shroud can be used to trigger an LED light?

Last edited:

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They don’t put under hood lights on anymore because they don’t want anyone to see the exhaust coming out of the cracked/warped exhaust manifolds.😆

DeanM2

Reaction score
I was thinking I would magnetically mount some LED lights to the underside of the hood. I tried them out, but they don't stick to the hood... I forgot the hood was aluminum.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2023 Big Horn seems to have a hood switch, but there are no lights under the hood. I am guessing the switch is only used to tell you the hood is open, and/or part of the anti-theft system. Anyone know if that switch on the left side of the radiator shroud can be used to trigger an LED light?
The switch is to disable remote start. Hood opens, engine dies. Won't remote start if open.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

DeanM2

Reaction score
I installed the KC light that RAMomkey mentioned in post #2. I connected to an Aux Switch for power. Here's pics
View attachment 167890
That's a really nice install. I assume the lights are screwed into support members on the inside of the hood?

Think I am going to do mine similar to how I did it on my Jeep. I'll wire it directly to the battery and install a Mercury switch on the underside of the hood to turn it on/off, and then i'll figure out a non-permanent (probably magnetic) way to hold the light over the engine. The light will have 8 feet of extra wiring so that I can pull the light from under the hood and move it down the sides of the engine to look for stuff. I'll stuff the extra wiring under the hood liner when not in use.

John Jensen

Reaction score
That's a really nice install. I assume the lights are screwed into support members on the inside of the hood?
Yes, the insulation is fastened with the plastic plugs at those sites. I just used a metal screw that fit the plug's holes

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't recall if there was a solid tree plug there or an insert with a pull out plug. In either case, a screw into an insert works. Unsure if that's what John's referring to.

DeanM2

Reaction score
Yes, the insulation is fastened with the plastic plugs at those sites. I just used a metal screw that fit the plug's holes
The LED should be pretty light. Surprised you wanted to use a metal screw. Did you think a plastic-type insert would not hold it?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The LED should be pretty light. Surprised you wanted to use a metal screw. Did you think a plastic-type insert would not hold it?
IMHO not long enough and a screw in the hand is better than a plug at Napa...

John Jensen

Reaction score
I don't recall if there was a solid tree plug there or an insert with a pull out plug. In either case, a screw into an insert works. Unsure if that's what John's referring to.
Yes, I pulled the insert and used the hole the insert used to screw the light down

John Jensen

Reaction score
A plastic insert would probably be too big for the light's mounting hole. I used what I had, a #10 or 12 metal screw, maybe bigger, can't remember.

Users who are viewing this thread