5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unable to Shift 4WD

clazer

Reaction score
Apologies if this is covered somewhere, I’m taking my baby to urgent care. Truck won’t shift out of 4wd high. There’s no yellow indicator showing what it’s in, but the dash shows 4wd high (what it was in when I parked last night. Buttons don’t do anything, no lights. Going to try disconnecting battery when we get him checked out. Any ideas??? Thanks a ton and have a happy thanksgiving!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
All I can offer is, put transmission in neutral. Select 2wd. Put transmission in reverse and back up a few feet.

Not sure if you are referring to your truck as the baby, or an actual human body needing to get to urgent care. If it is a human...I would drive it there in 4hi, just take turns slow and wide.

Hope you get this fixed.

Other than the lights, have you verified it is actually in 4wd?

clazer

Reaction score
We’re out at the ranch for Thanksgiving and our little boy got sick, so it’s a real human! Got him into town (1.5hrs) and in the waiting room. After checking him in, messed with the gears, no shift. It was in 4wd, I could feel it on the highway. Undid the battery in the parking lot here and now it’s working fine. Gotta love electronic everything- “have you tried turning it off and on again”. 47C8F39C-D927-4C45-A240-AFC55D3F8572.jpeg

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It happens. Glad it worked out for you . More importantly, I hope your boy is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread