5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ugh - having a bad night

Maxx102

Reaction score
Well as I was pulling into my apartment complex and looking for a place to park my truck for the night, I was rear-ended by a less than attentive driver. Driver side exhaust is hanging down and rubbing up against the tire, rear bumper is smashed and my poor PUTCO tailgate bar is history. Had less than a year, less than 20k miles on, and it was fully paid off.......I am not happy. 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Attachments

• InkedIMG_3073_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_3073_LI.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 281
  • InkedIMG_3077_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_3077_LI.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 280

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That blows. Sorry to hear it. I've been in your shoes with a lesser car before. Non driving people suck.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Been there before, coworker backed our of a parking spot as I was driving past. Caught drivers door, rear door and bed side.... wasn't good.

BigD

Reaction score
I almost got sideswiped by a guy running a red light last Thursday. I took some aversive maneuvers, hit the brakes, & laid on the horn. Missed me by inches. All I kept thinking was how many months it would take to get the parts to fix it during this material shortage & if I'd even be able to get a rental ? Good luck friend. I'll probably never buy another motorcycle because it's just not the same as it was 20 yrs ago now that everyone is looking down at their smartphones!! 😡

squid013

Reaction score
It's not near totaled, and easy enough to fix

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep...your damage is simple. That doesn't make it better, but it's just some sheet metal work and paint. You'll be up and running (and looking as good as new) in no time.

Post pix when it's done. (I'm going to guesstimate a month.)

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It feels like a kick in the nuts when stuff like this happens. Trade-in value instantly goes down because of the reported accident, and it follows the truck for the rest of it’s life. I got rid of an Accord 2.0 sport 3 years early for that reason. I loved that car as a fast and comfortable commuter, but the accident on it’s record caused me to trade it in while resale was still high.

Kaderast

Reaction score
OH MAN!
I'm glad you're okay. The truck can be fixed pretty easily.
People these days don't pay attention SMH!!! :mad:

I got rear-ended, replaced the bumper myself and the same day got rear-ended again... I hate people.
That's some of the worst luck I think I've ever heard of.

jlinsenbardt

Reaction score
Bought my wife a brand new Audi last year and in the first month she was rear-ended on the highway .. I feel your pain.

Maxx102

Reaction score
So I went out to the truck to survey the damage with the sun shining and here is what I found, or at least make out.
- Bumper and bodywork damaged.
- tailgate damaged.
- Rear parking sensors destroyed.
- driver’s side exhaust brackets snapped.
- driver side exhaust shoved against rear tire.
- last 6 inches of the exhaust bent terribly.
- anti sway bar bracket on the drivers side snapped
And I think the there is suspension damage as it is sitting higher up than normal but I’m not a mechanic. One thing is certain, it’s not drivable in the current condition.

Attachments

• IMG_3091.JPG
    IMG_3091.JPG
    168.2 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3095.JPG
    IMG_3095.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3101.JPG
    IMG_3101.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3103.JPG
    IMG_3103.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 84

Majortom

Reaction score
That sucks! Once repairs are complete, be sure to inquire about Diminished Value payment as resale value will surely take a hit.

Reactions: c3k

ShortStack

Reaction score
Time to put my trailer hitch back in - if someone hits me I want to cause them some serious damage.
Glad you didn't get hurt. Make sure if their insurance says used parts, get an attorney and go after them insurance company. Hell maybe even a new truck :)

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Time to put my trailer hitch back in - if someone hits me I want to cause them some serious damage.
Glad you didn't get hurt. Make sure if their insurance says used parts, get an attorney and go after them insurance company. Hell maybe even a new truck :)
Used parts? what is that mean? I've never heard of an insurance company having used parts as replacements. Maybe aftermarket... But not used.

LouNY

Reaction score
Used parts? what is that mean? I've never heard of an insurance company having used parts as replacements. Maybe aftermarket... But not used.
It is quite common, unfortunately and hard to fight against especially if the used parts are the same or newer then the vehicle being repaired.
My wifes "18" Jeep Compass needed some work from a parking lot incident and they did use some used parts on it. The body shop had no issues cleaning and painting the used pieces, including painting the none exposed sides to sooth me.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Honestly, for things like body panels, I'd rather go with used parts than reproduction. As long as the part isn't damaged, and proper prep work, bodywork and paint work are performed. Any soft materials or plastic need to be new though.

Maxx102

Reaction score
Well they came and towed her to the collision center on Friday and I was given what I describe as an economy rental car. Went from a 1/2 truck to a 3 door hatchback (Hyundai Veloster). Keep in mind that the last little hatchback car I rode in and occasionally drove was over 20 years ago in an old Dodge Omni. A little hatchback is fine if it is in the LA area of California and you are a 5'5" 110 pound single woman. It's not the best vehicle for a 6'1" 230 pound guy in Minnesota in the middle of winter with two teenage kids to transport.

Fortunately the folks at the insurance company sympatric and understanding and so they upgraded me to a more suitable vehicle, i.e. a pickup. Unfortunately it's not a Ram, but an F-150. At least it helped me get home from work through the 4-5 inches of snow that fell this evening.

Still no word from the insurance company for a full list of damages. Hope to hear something by the end of the week. PS - here is the little hatchback I was referring to. One of my female co-workers said it was "cute" 😒.

14472_st1280_089.png

Users who are viewing this thread