5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect Subscription

gilla81

Reaction score
Hello folks, so I recently bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited used from a dealership. Apparently, someone bought it, drove it for 2,000 miles, then decided they wanted a white on, so I got an incredible deal considering it was "used". The sales rep explained the previous owner purchased some kind of 5 year subscription for I believe its called, XM Live. It gives live traffic updates, prices at gas stations nearby, weather info, movie times, etc... I think it even makes my truck a 4G WiFi hot spot. Is this the subscription required to be able to use the Uconnect app to start the engine remotely from my phone, lock the doors, etc..? If so, does anyone know if this is transferrable? If the previous owner paid for a 5 year plan, I certainly wouldn't mind using it. Does anyone know if any of this makes sense? Was the sales rep pulling my chain a bit? Any advice or direction on where to look for more info would be greatly appreciated. Please and thank you!

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They didn't pay extra for it. It comes with 5 years of traffic/weather from the factory. I don't believe it is transferable. And it is not the same as the XM Guardian subscription needed to remote start from the app. XM Guardian is not worth the price in my opinion. Very hit or miss.

Select MY 2021 & 2020 new vehicles equipped with navigation systems will also receive a 5-year trial subscription to SiriusXM Traffic or Traffic Plus, and Travel Link (where available). Ask your Dealer for more details on trial availability.

Eligible pre-owned vehicles include a 3-month trial subscription.

gilla81

Reaction score
They didn't pay extra for it. It comes with 5 years of traffic/weather from the factory. I don't believe it is transferable. And it is not the same as the XM Guardian subscription needed to remote start from the app. XM Guardian is not worth the price in my opinion. Very hit or miss.

Select MY 2021 & 2020 new vehicles equipped with navigation systems will also receive a 5-year trial subscription to SiriusXM Traffic or Traffic Plus, and Travel Link (where available). Ask your Dealer for more details on trial availability.

Eligible pre-owned vehicles include a 3-month trial subscription.
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Do you happen to know how much XM Guardian is? I can remote start the truck from the fob, so not really sure what benefits XM Guardian has.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up for me! Do you happen to know how much XM Guardian is? I can remote start the truck from the fob, so not really sure what benefits XM Guardian has.
Looks like the Guardian is $25/mo and the 4g hot spot is an additional $20/mo. In theory you should be able to remote start your truck (and have the app confirm command received) from anywhere using your phone. So no limited range like the fob. In the real world however I think I only had about 50% success rate and half the time it did work the app would become unresponsive so I usually didn't know if I was walking out to a running car or not. YMMV as my experience was with my '17 Charger. Same service and app though.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Both Uconnect on my '15 and Guardian on my '20 work consistently well and I live out in the sticks. I will renew my Sirius Guardian on my '20 when the time comes because I use the remote start and lock through the phone often.

As far as the 4G goes, I think that's a bit expensive for something that most everyone already has through their phone although the trucks reception is better than a phone in those fringe areas.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have had zero issues using my app and find it valuable based on my needs. It has been 100% reliable.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I did not renew mine and don’t miss it at all. I have the WiFi hotspot through AT&T added to my phone data plan but rarely use it actually. Just curious but in what scenario do you use remote lock? I am well into the habit of locking my vehicle when it needs to be locked.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did not renew mine and don’t miss it at all. I have the WiFi hotspot through AT&T added to my phone data plan but rarely use it actually. Just curious but in what scenario do you use remote lock? I am well into the habit of locking my vehicle when it needs to be locked.
I typically travel a lot and like having control over my truck when traveling to ensure it’s locked and can remote start when the shuttle is taking me back to the lot after my trip.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I typically travel a lot and like having control over my truck when traveling to ensure it’s locked and can remote start when the shuttle is taking me back to the lot after my trip.
Exactly my reasoning as well although it's a bit colder up here so it's nice to warm up the truck after it's been sitting a week at an airport. :)

Users who are viewing this thread