5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uconnect on 8.4 non nav, 2019 1500

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I was having a problem using my iphone 6+ maps/google maps with carplay and I seem to have found a "solution". My map was saying that I was in another state. And no matter what I tried, it would not find my actual location. I noticed that if I waited for the radio to power up normally and then connected my phone, everything worked as it should. If I powered everything up with my phone connected to the USB port, the map would tell me I was in another state. So if you are having this problem also, give this process a shot.

***Update*** I tried another cable, usb C to lightning, and it did not seem to work with me just waiting for everything to get up and running. But I did notice that my ram blutooth connection did not show my iphone being connected. So I made the blutooth connection to my phone, reconnected my usb c cable, and it worked. I will see what happens on the way home after work today.

Last edited:

oleg

Reaction score
I Am having a problem with my nav. I trying to put an address in searched bar and it gives me a message (can't be found of line)
What if I don't have my phone or don't want to use a car play?????
Anyone has a problem like that?
My previous
ram 2016 never have an issue like that.

oleg

Reaction score
My truck is 2019 ram 1500 limited forgot to mention that!!!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was having a problem using my iphone 6+ maps/google maps with carplay and I seem to have found a "solution". My map was saying that I was in another state. And no matter what I tried, it would not find my actual location. I noticed that if I waited for the radio to power up normally and then connected my phone, everything worked as it should. If I powered everything up with my phone connected to the USB port, the map would tell me I was in another state. So if you are having this problem also, give this process a shot.
Also try another USB cord. I was having the same problem. I would pull up the map and it would be showing me in Detroit, Michigan. I live in central Texas. Not even close. A few days later I got a new cord and I haven't had the issue since.

hurstkuo

Reaction score
I am having the same issue. With phone connected with carply, it will not locate my location properly.
Without connecting to the car, the phone is able to locate my location, but as soon as I plug it in then it went back to the wrong location.
After driving it around it eventually found my location. Not sure how long it takes, probably couple minutes.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having the same issue. With phone connected with carply, it will not locate my location properly.
Without connecting to the car, the phone is able to locate my location, but as soon as I plug it in then it went back to the wrong location.
After driving it around it eventually found my location. Not sure how long it takes, probably couple minutes.

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie
Try a new cord, it fixed my issue. I had used the same cord for years in my other truck but the 2019 didn't like it. As soon as I used a different cord the problem was gone.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
After having my ram for about 3 weeks, I have come to the conclusion that new cable, resets on the truck and phone, connecting and reconnecting will not produce a repeatable result. The only way it has shown the true location information, is when maps displays accurate location and I leave my phone connected when I get out, the location and compass stay true. So I will keeping looking for a solution.

ChrisD

Reaction score
I'm having the same situation. I've tried a number of combinations of cables, both USB-A and USB-C, and sometimes the truck thinks it's in Stirling Heights MI (right next to the plant) with the compass 180 degrees off, and sometimes, it thinks it's here. It's pretty inconsistent. I was doing a longish drive from Eastern WA last weekend starting near Ellensburg WA headed to Kent WA. Somewhere around Easton (about halfway), it figured out where I was.

What's even weirder is the truck is convincing my phone that it's in another location. My phone can read Kent WA, then I plug it into the truck and it moves to Stirling Heights MI.

But sometimes, I get in and it all works just right.

I suspect this is a software glitch with the UConnect software and they'll come up with a firmware update to fix it.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I'm having the same situation. I've tried a number of combinations of cables, both USB-A and USB-C, and sometimes the truck thinks it's in Stirling Heights MI (right next to the plant) with the compass 180 degrees off, and sometimes, it thinks it's here. It's pretty inconsistent. I was doing a longish drive from Eastern WA last weekend starting near Ellensburg WA headed to Kent WA. Somewhere around Easton (about halfway), it figured out where I was.

What's even weirder is the truck is convincing my phone that it's in another location. My phone can read Kent WA, then I plug it into the truck and it moves to Stirling Heights MI.

But sometimes, I get in and it all works just right.

I suspect this is a software glitch with the UConnect software and they'll come up with a firmware update to fix it.
I have no doubt an upgrade will fix it, either by the company or a hacker.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Well, I dont have to worry about carplay and my iphone maps getting their references correct. I was driving back with the iphone connected through carplay, map was displayed and giving me directions properly, then the iphone/carplay went off line, and the carplay icon was gone from my display. I tried disconnecting and reconnecting the phone and a device not supported message displayed at which ever USB port I used. Oh well, I will post if I get any different results.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, I plugged my iphone on a standard usb port, and carplay initiated, and my maps was indicating proper location and 100% functional. I did nothing different. So it looks like this will be an intermittent issue.

4sallypat

Reaction score
On my way to work this morning, I plugged my iphone on a standard usb port, and carplay initiated, and my maps was indicating proper location and 100% functional. I did nothing different. So it looks like this will be an intermittent issue.

Oh my, this is not good news.
Being a prospective owner of a 2019 RAM, I am getting nervous.

This intermittent issue with the car's IFE and phon'e GPS is making me rethink the nightmare I currently have on my first year car I am currently driving.
It will intermittently recite some gobbledygook and tell me I am in the wrong side of the street.
It will also sometimes just quit and re-boot....

My iPhone has never failed.....

Maybe I need to steer clear of first year model new vehicles ???

ChrisD

Reaction score
I brought mine in to the dealer for another problem and had them check into this as well.

They opened a STAR ticket and STAR let them know they are aware of this issue and it will be corrected in a software update scheduled for sometime in fall of this year. I figured it was a software glitch and the STAR team seems to have verified it is.

Hope this helps!

Ntoumazos

Reaction score
Have had my 2019 ram for 3 weeks now and when I got in my truck today this is how my screen looks....

Attachments

• 89F3E8E2-0977-4A18-94EB-D7C3110C7C8F.jpeg
    89F3E8E2-0977-4A18-94EB-D7C3110C7C8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 53

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Have had my 2019 ram for 3 weeks now and when I got in my truck today this is how my screen looks....
I've had it happen twice. Turning the truck off and leaving it for 10 minutes or so, it came back on afterwards and worked just fine. Likely just a glitch and not a bad unit. Something I will ne mentioning to the dealer when I take it in for service though.

Ntoumazos

Reaction score
It started working after being off for awhile but now there is a 2 sec delay when I switch screens

markport

Reaction score
I brought mine in to the dealer for another problem and had them check into this as well.

They opened a STAR ticket and STAR let them know they are aware of this issue and it will be corrected in a software update scheduled for sometime in fall of this year. I figured it was a software glitch and the STAR team seems to have verified it is.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Chris. I bought my 2019 1500 last month and have the intermittent issue of reverting back to when I was on a ferry between New York and Vermont a few weeks ago. Yesterday I was in Rhode Island and uConnect CarPlay, using either Google Maps or Waze, showed me in the middle of Lake Champlain (200+ miles North). I have noticed, though, that it corrects itself after a few minutes. It's not the phone -when I crossed the ferry last month I was using my old iPhone 6. Yesterday I had a new Xr that had never been on the ferry. I've also tried either of the USB ports and different cables. Only disappointment was the dealer could not replicate it when first reported. What a pain I could do without.

markport

Reaction score
It started working after being off for awhile but now there is a 2 sec delay when I switch screens

For all - I found out today that Ram just released a new software update on 11/1 for the uConnect. I checked for my issue and it specifically states that, in addition to a ton of other items, it corrects a Google Maps issue with being at the wrong location.

ChrisD

Reaction score
I checked the uconnect site and there was no update for my truck, but I'll keep checking...

That said, I brought it to a different service department at a small town location where they were willing to better troubleshoot the issue. They wound up disconnecting the battery for a while, then reconnecting it to reset the whole system. That seems to have resolved the problem. I think they left the battery disconnected for about 30 minutes...

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread