5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uconnect on 8.4 non nav, 2019 1500

btcounts

Reaction score
Where did you find out about this update? How can I get it? I really need it. My 2019 Ram 1500 8.4 CarPlay always thinks I'm in Chicago even though I'm in Dallas.

Newguy

Reaction score
I checked the uconnect website for updates on my ram 1500 2019 8.4 uconnect to fix my wrong location issue with android auto, and the uconnect website says there's no update for me. I also have a compass issue (instrument cluster) where it's off by 90 to 180 degrees and I'm not sure if it's related.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
While i was looking for something else on the forum I found a discussion about compass problems on the ram. Today driving home, I noticed that the compass was reading 180 degrees incorrectly from the direction I was headed. The fix for them was disconnecting the battery for about half an hour. I first tried driving around in circles in a parking lot which made no difference on my compass. While connected my phone (waze app) said that I was in virginia which it has been saying intermittently since I bought the truck in August. So i disconnected my battery, let it sit for about half an hour. I then reconnected the battery and started the truck up. Much to my surprise, my phone and truck where reading accurate for location and my compass on the truck matched my phone's compass. I drove my truck for a few, turned it on and off a few times. The waze app, google maps, and apple maps all read accurately and functioned properly for the first time since I have owned this truck. Hopefully this stays true for the rest of the time I own this truck. Give it a whirl guys, hopefully you will get the same result. What a nice early Christmas gift for a very frustrating issue. Good luck!

Newguy

Reaction score
While i was looking for something else on the forum I found a discussion about compass problems on the ram. Today driving home, I noticed that the compass was reading 180 degrees incorrectly from the direction I was headed. The fix for them was disconnecting the battery for about half an hour. I first tried driving around in circles in a parking lot which made no difference on my compass. While connected my phone (waze app) said that I was in virginia which it has been saying intermittently since I bought the truck in August. So i disconnected my battery, let it sit for about half an hour. I then reconnected the battery and started the truck up. Much to my surprise, my phone and truck where reading accurate for location and my compass on the truck matched my phone's compass. I drove my truck for a few, turned it on and off a few times. The waze app, google maps, and apple maps all read accurately and functioned properly for the first time since I have owned this truck. Hopefully this stays true for the rest of the time I own this truck. Give it a whirl guys, hopefully you will get the same result. What a nice early Christmas gift for a very frustrating issue. Good luck!
Great information! Thank you. I'll give it a try.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Great information! Thank you. I'll give it a try.
my truck has had zero problems indicating correct locations on waze, apple maps, and google maps through my iphone 6s. So it looks like a good fix. Hope y'all have the same results. Good luck.

Newguy

Reaction score
my truck has had zero problems indicating correct locations on waze, apple maps, and google maps through my iphone 6s. So it looks like a good fix. Hope y'all have the same results. Good luck.
I tried it and so far over the last few days the compass and GPS are working correctly. Thanks for the information and hopefully it stays fixed.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
I am having similar issues with my Laramie. I was about 1000 miles from home visiting family and my google maps while using CarPlay said I was home in Oklahoma and not anywhere near my actual location. I have an 8.4 without navigation. Tried different cables and phones with no repeatable result as others have stated.

I want to see what software version I currently have so I was trying to access the service menu in the radio but I am having no luck. My dealer service department also could not figure out how to access it. They simply said updates come OTA so it “should” be up to date... I have yet to receive notification of an updated since I purchased the truck Dec 4th.

Now that I am back home my car play maps is working as it should. Dealer had no good fix for the issue I was having. I took a video of it with another phone while it was happening to show them but they blamed it on Apple software potentially and not the truck.

Anyone have a trick to access the dealer/service menus? I’ve tried hold multiple combinations of buttons as well as holding the lower two corners of the screen for 10 seconds. No luck.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am having similar issues with my Laramie. I was about 1000 miles from home visiting family and my google maps while using CarPlay said I was home in Oklahoma and not anywhere near my actual location. I have an 8.4 without navigation. Tried different cables and phones with no repeatable result as others have stated.

I want to see what software version I currently have so I was trying to access the service menu in the radio but I am having no luck. My dealer service department also could not figure out how to access it. They simply said updates come OTA so it “should” be up to date... I have yet to receive notification of an updated since I purchased the truck Dec 4th.

Now that I am back home my car play maps is working as it should. Dealer had no good fix for the issue I was having. I took a video of it with another phone while it was happening to show them but they blamed it on Apple software potentially and not the truck.

Anyone have a trick to access the dealer/service menus? I’ve tried hold multiple combinations of buttons as well as holding the lower two corners of the screen for 10 seconds. No luck.

If you don't have navigation, it can not update over the air. There is no outside connection. You have to have navigation to get OTA updates. You should be able to go to the uconnect website and type in your vin to check for updates.

Richard Rex

Reaction score
If you don't have navigation, it can not update over the air. There is no outside connection. You have to have navigation to get OTA updates. You should be able to go to the uconnect website and type in your vin to check for updates.
Good info. My dealer was completely clueless. So I have to go to the dealer to get it updated then I’m assuming?

Richard Rex

Reaction score
Just checked and it says I’m up to date. Also I answered my question about just downloading it to a thumb drive and installing it.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just checked and it says I’m up to date. Also I answered my question about just downloading it to a thumb drive and installing it.
Yep, you can do it yourself at home. I believe I have one out for mine. Bought it in May and think I remember seeing there was one a couple months back. Just haven't got around to it. It is a shame some of these dealers are still so clueless with these trucks.

I was having similar issues saying I was in another state with Android Auto. Switching phone cables fixed it for me and I haven't had a problem since.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
I Am having a problem with my nav. I trying to put an address in searched bar and it gives me a message (can't be found of line)
What if I don't have my phone or don't want to use a car play?????
Anyone has a problem like that?
My previous
ram 2016 never have an issue like that.

Are you also putting in the city and state, it needs that.

Newguy

Reaction score

The dealer I took it too didn't know how to access the menu either. They tried everything but ultimately it was me disconnecting the battery for an hour then reconnecting that solved it based on a tip in another forum. You can call unconnect directly to ask them if there's any update to the software. Hope this helps.

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
The dealer I took it too didn't know how to access the menu either. They tried everything but ultimately it was me disconnecting the battery for an hour then reconnecting that solved it based on a tip in another forum. You can call unconnect directly to ask them if there's any update to the software. Hope this helps.

I thought you could access that through the uConnect website and with your trucks VIN. I know it tells you in you need an update or not, just can't remember if it said anything about the ver. number.

KarlF12

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram 1500 started doing this last Friday. Every time I plug in my phone, it sets my position to exactly where I started navigation with CarPlay about 125 miles from home Friday afternoon. After a while (20 minutes or so) it corrects the position. It’s very strange that it feeds the false location data back into my phone while connected. My truck does not have navigation. Affects any app on my phone that uses location data.

My wife’s phone which has never been where I was Friday also goes to the same location, so that confirms it isn’t the phone.

I have cleared personal data, reset factory defaults, deleted and re-enabled the CarPlay Uconnect oh my phone, and disconnected the car battery for about 45 minutes. None of this has fixed it. I’ll have to take it to the dealer when I can. I have full warranty so all options are on the table including making the replace the entire Uconnect system if that’s what it takes.

It’s very disconcerting to find out this has been happening in Uconnect for years and it’s still a problem. There’s no excuse for that.

Users who are viewing this thread