5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect location vehicle finder, Can a thief disable

reb0957

Reaction score
A friend of mines Chevy was stolen last night. They were able to disconnect OnStar. This made me wonder, if that was easy to accomplish on the UConnect 12" systems. I am sure anything is hackable but this was done in under 10 minutes.

vdemarco

Reaction score
I have my truck sitting in front of the house. then startup uconnect and have it find the truck, sometimes if fails. If its hackable is one thing, but its just not reliable. If the truck was really stolen, why can't it find it all of the time?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have my truck sitting in front of the house. then startup uconnect and have it find the truck, sometimes if fails. If its hackable is one thing, but its just not reliable. If the truck was really stolen, why can't it find it all of the time?
For the same reason you drop cell phone calls, or GPS systems lose signal, or satellite/HD radio systems buffer...Temporary loss of signal, or line of sight by the satellite as it moves across the sky at 17,500 miles per hour (which is the speed required by satellites to maintain orbit without burning back through the atmosphere)

Last edited:

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A friend of mines Chevy was stolen last night. They were able to disconnect OnStar. This made me wonder, if that was easy to accomplish on the UConnect 12" systems. I am sure anything is hackable but this was done in under 10 minutes.
I'm sure they can if they pull the right fuze. That's how ON-Star is disabled.

vdemarco

Reaction score
For the same reason you drop cell phone calls, or GPS systems lose signal, or satellite/HD radio systems buffer...Temporary loss of signal, or line of sight by the satellite as it moves across the sky at 17,500 miles per hour (which is the speed required by satellites to maintain orbit without burning back through the atmosphere)
i get that but its right in front of my house i can see the car. its got good sat coverage and cell coverage. if i keep trying it works. which means its very flaky, the truck isn’t moving and the test is over the span of a few minutes. that means the signal shouldn’t be changing much.

if it works for you great, but for me its too expensive for what you get and how well uconnect works

reb0957

Reaction score
I have heard if you don't subscribe, they won't find your vehicle. As many vehicles as I have seen pop up missing in Houston, it is cheap extra insurance. Also, I always lock my truck from the app before I go to bed when travelling. I can't find where the UConnect has been disabled in mass. I have found where the OnStar has been hacked in large volumes.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread