5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect does not update Weather Map

billbeam

Reaction score
Same problem.Chatted with Sirius which is like asking the blank screen.They look up you're account, then tell you to call there tech unit for help.
I’ve had my 2020 Limited Truck since the end of November 2019 and only unsuccessfully had the weather map app work. Due to a shoulder surgery (69 years old and tried to ride a hover board – that didn’t work too well) and quarantines, I’ve been limited to my driving time, have 1690 miles as of today. I was going to the local Lowe’s and it was pouring rain. I tried the map and it showed it was clear, blue, and 22. Sorry Dodge Ram, but you have a piece of crap system and your over payed software engineers can’t figure it out. Too bad they can't be put on the chopping block like the Boeing software engineers are. The installed Maps which are 3 years old on a pretty expensive 2020 RAM Limited Truck. And if an update is released, I get to buy it. Other manufactures update for free. Shame on you RAM!

flipmcgee

Reaction score
I have had my new 2020 Rebel for about 3 weeks and the Weather Map has exactly the same issue. the last 2 days I have spoken to Uconnect and Sirius and both point the finger at each other. Sirius ultimately said that I need to take it to the dealer. They have both reset the radio and I have wiped it completely and started over from scratch. Nothing makes any difference. Last night they told me it was because I had never made a 911 test call. The lady said that the uconnect system will act erratically if that test has not been logged. Makes no sense but I went through that procedure this morning and of course it made no difference. It did however show me how ridiculous that 911 feature is. I was imagining what if it were a real call as it took about 2 minutes to connect, then got a recorded greeting and finally a human saying hello how can I help you. No urgency at all. After I told them it was making a 911 test call so my weather app will start working. Of course, they were confused as to why I was told that and we chatted a bit about the 911 service. She told me they had so many false alarms that the emergency calls go to a sirius agent first so they can determine if they need to put the call through to 911. Anyway, I found this forum tonight and was amazed to see this same issue going back over year on the 2019 models. Obviously there is no fix on the way. I had a jeep GC previously and that system worked great. I guess the more expense the vehicle the less your supposed to expect from it.

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine works, It just takes way too long for it to load. I find that if I pull the map up and zoom out as far as possible, allow for it to fully load the information (5 min +) and it shows the fronts H/L's then zoom back into local. It does work for me, I just have to be patient. When I'm going to be paying attention closely to the weather, like on my way to launch my boat to fish that day, I'll pull it up about 30 minutes out from the marina and let it do its' thing and be able to check the radar. First world problem, but it should be much faster than it is.
I usually opt for my Wunderground app. on my phone and check things that way. Radar loads on it PDQ, plus it has an hourly forecast with wind speed, direction, barometric pressure (important for fishing), and I can search it to check all that anywhere in the country I'll be heading to.

atrain68

Reaction score
I'm a new Ram owner as well. 2020 Ram Laramie with the 12" UConnect display. I have the same issue with the weather radar where it briefly displays some of the rainfall and fronts, but then stays blank. I spoke with UConnect customer care and they were very candid this is a known issue and will be addressed in an upcoming software update. I know, a mystery software update, but when I pressed them on an ETA, I asked whether this meant months or years. The response was one month or less.

Bottom line is there "might" be an upcoming update that fixes this issue. I know there are skeptics out there and the next update has been compared with a unicorn sighting, but that's the news for what its worth.

flipmcgee

Reaction score
That would be great. Its a small thing but if its worth putting the application on the radio then it should work. My radio has lost all sound a few times as well and had to reset it to get it working again. Its troubling to find the exact problem on this forum only to see it was something on a 2018 that should have been solved. This is issue has also been around for a while with no resolution. putting everything under the Sirius umbrella is going to be a problem down the road. I already had Sirius tell me this was a Uconnect problem and Uconnect tell me it was a Sirius problem. I hope the person you spoke to is not making up another story about a update but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction score
I know for a fact they have lost two $60,000 + deals because of their slow response to come up with a solution for software on their most expensive products bc my son-in-law and mother-in-law just bought other brands bc of my unhappiness with the way FCA performs their fixes.
I don't know about you guys but I feel the traffic is also skewed. Shows heavy traffic when there is none and none when there is some. The red lines indicating heavy traffic disappear right in front of me while traveling down the road with heavy traffic. In short, same issues as the weather features.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tried mine today and it worked after about 5 minutes. I'll try again later and see if it still takes that long.

nmajor18

Reaction score
Watching this thread.... Had radio replaced under warranty after multiple failed updates could not resolve my pre-set programming issue. New radio and latest software have resulted in the same problem described here. Radar slow to load and will disappear soon after.

Dtbrew

Reaction score
Add me to the list of non-working Weather App. I seem to recall that the very first time I used it (probably in September or October 2019) I was able to see the radar. Ever since then nothing but a map, even one day in the middle of a downpour that limited speed to 35 mph on the freeway! I had randomly tried it out every so often to see if there was a change, but have given up on it.

ZonaRam44

Reaction score
I haven't used the weather app too often but it's very hit or miss (mostly miss). I've see it work a couple times, but there is still a lot to be desired. I think it's funny that features like this are showcased or promoted, but it's so obvious that the least amount of effort was put into the program and then no effort to improve/fix it. Just like sirius guardian is absolute garbage and they think people are going to pay $240 a year for it hahahaha. In the end I'm about 95% happy with my truck, and like everyone else, I'll just have to suck it up on the other 5%. First world problems lol.

INVISBLE

Reaction score
Most of the time within a couple of minutes the radar will show on mine IF it's actually connecting and finding Sirius to begin with. But as everyone else says, the image will disappear and then just the usual blank map. It's done that from day one.

Bw1605

Reaction score
Add me to the list of the radar briefly showing then disappearing. Can never get it to stay long enough to actually see the weather. I’m hopeful they will fix this

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Literally have never seen the weather update.. drove all the way from South Jersey to North Carolina in massive storms and checked it a bunch of times.. still nothing. I do get the warnings across the screen, but the 'weather map' might as well just be the Navigation screen.

reb0957

Reaction score
I have a 2019. It takes about 5 minutes load radar coverage. Then all radar coverage disappears with just my truck on US map. There are so many flaws in this 12" screen. My 8.6" in my 2016 was much more refined!

FrankieG

Reaction score
I might as well chime in. Have had my 2020 Limited since the end of December. Have checked the weather map numerous times during rainy weather and it has never worked. Hoping for a fix but not holding my breath.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine has never worked either.
2020 Limited, build date July 2020.

atrain68

Reaction score
I'm a new Ram owner as well. 2020 Ram Laramie with the 12" UConnect display. I have the same issue with the weather radar where it briefly displays some of the rainfall and fronts, but then stays blank. I spoke with UConnect customer care and they were very candid this is a known issue and will be addressed in an upcoming software update. I know, a mystery software update, but when I pressed them on an ETA, I asked whether this meant months or years. The response was one month or less.

Bottom line is there "might" be an upcoming update that fixes this issue. I know there are skeptics out there and the next update has been compared with a unicorn sighting, but that's the news for what its worth.
That update UConnect said was coming never happened. I'm not at all surprised.

jason.smith2608

Reaction score
Has anyone ever looked at the bottom of the map at the color keys. Shows on mine in the middle of summer that a storm showing red and yellow is a snow storm. Uh its 100 degrees outside. Red and yellow is not snow but a heavy storm. Also in night time driving the map stays a bright white blinding me. Why wouldn't it go to a dark or night time mode.

Ramajama

Reaction score
Brand new 2020 Power Wagon with the 12” screen. I’ve had three 4th gen 1500s and a 2018 Power Wagon with the 8.4. The Traffic Link weather app worked flawlessly on all of my 8.4 units. Not the case with the 12”. I used the TL weather map often in my prior RAMs. I expect it to work in my new and expensive Power Wagon. I’m disappointed to see that no one has come across a fix. Time to go to war.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread