5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 Software Will Be Coming To The 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup:

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Uconnect 5 Software Will Be Coming To The 2022 Ram 1500 Lineup:​

New Infotainment System Updates For 2022 Ram 1500...​

1621443261022.png

One of the most popular options on the Ram pickups these days is the 12-inch Uconnect 4C touchscreen infotainment system with navigation. The 12-inch Uconnect system has led the truck segment in technology, with split-screen capability, 360-degree camera views, and exclusive content from SiriusXM (being the first in the industry to launch 360L) and the new Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora feature. But as the market catches up, we have seen other Stellantis vehicles debut the company’s latest Uconnect 5 software. This has left many wondering when will the Ram Truck lineup get the new Uconnect 5 update?

ripvanhalen

Reaction score
Any insider info about when 2022 options/pricing will be announced?

My 2021 order could not be placed a couple weeks ago (missed the shutdown by 1 day).

Sales person said 2022 ordering showed up in her system last week but without pricing (others on here also
said same thing).

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a geek, I'm jealous. I started a thread a few months back about waiting for 2022s purely for Uconnect 5. Enough people changed my mind though. Getting the first 2022s. the system could be buggy and UConnect4 early adopters are still getting software updates over the air that fix minor gripes and bugs so I think UC4 is polished enough now that I'm sort of happy to get the last generation of 4 on my inbound 2021 and let others have the version 5 features and work out the bugs for those of us who will buy a new truck in 5-6 years.

Also, thanks to the editorial team for the rundown on the features. Multiple phones, multiple profiles, Pandora on-demand playlists, ordering pizza / booking tables (we don't have that where I live...as in we don't have places with reservations / dominos) so seems like mostly, UC5 features come down to faster responsive and more customizations along with wireless CarPlay. I'm okay not having UConnect5 on my 2021.

CentralPaRam

Reaction score
I had the exact same thought process on waiting for a 2022 (specifically for Uconnect5) but my car broke down again so I pulled the trigger on an order for a 2021 right before the cutoff. Will be interested to see what the price increase / incentives will be for a 2022, hoping they release that soon. If it ends up costing more than $1k or 2k for a 2022 with the same options, I will probably be just as happy to stay with Uconnect4.

h4zegrey

Reaction score
My dealer is telling me tomorrow (the 20th) is when they start hearing about prices, with the actual info about a week later. Getting ready to get my order in once I'm not flying blind. I also want to know if colors or packages change at all.

CentralPaRam

Reaction score
Good point on the colors/options for 2022. I have a Laramie with the southwest package on order, wondering if they will bring that package back for 2022 because you get a lot for the money.

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

My 2021 order could not be placed a couple weeks ago (missed the shutdown by 1 day).

Sales person said 2022 ordering showed up in her system last week but without pricing (others on here also
said same thing).

correct. By Ram has not posted pricing just yet.

h4zegrey

Reaction score

said same thing).

I missed it by 2.5 hours. Don't feel too bad. :)

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I am sure this isnt the case but the end of the article makes it seem like UC5 will be a software upgrade for existing 12 and 8.4 radios. Otherwise not sure why forum members would be excited about it as most arent going to be upgrading to a 22 anytime soon.

Runagun

Reaction score
I sure hope they make the 12 inch screen 13 or 14 inches. Needs to be wider for gmaps or Waze.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I highly doubt uC5 will be a download for our current infotainment systems. The hardware required for the new system is most likely completely different. It would be great if it was compatible but again I doubt it.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I highly doubt uC5 will be a download for our current infotainment systems. The hardware required for the new system is most likely completely different. It would be great if it was compatible but again I doubt it.
I get that, its just the odd wording at the end of the article that makes it seem like it was coming to existing radios.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This was what caught my attention, too. I didn’t think it was a “software” package.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I get that, its just the odd wording at the end of the article that makes it seem like it was coming to existing radios.

This was what caught my attention, too. I didn’t think it was a “software” package.

If you’re talking about this sentence:
“For some updates, Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) will automatically load the improved software to the vehicle, seamlessly. Other services can be handled at your local dealer with a Service Scheduling feature.”

This was announced as an improved feature including the ability to also update other vehicle systems through the infotainment system in the initial release article about Uconnect 5.

There is no way our current system‘s hardware can handle the android ecosystem IMO.

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you’re talking about this sentence:
“For some updates, Firmware Over The Air (FOTA) will automatically load the improved software to the vehicle, seamlessly. Other services can be handled at your local dealer with a Service Scheduling feature.”

This was announced as an improved feature including the ability to also update other vehicle systems through the infotainment system in the initial release article about Uconnect 5.

There is no way our current system‘s hardware can handle the android ecosystem IMO.
No this one: The Uconnect 5 software will be available not just in the 12-inch screen format, but also in 8.4-inch as well. That should be pretty exciting news for our forum members.

I know our current hardware wouldnt be able to handle it, thats why I though that last line was odd.

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
No this one: The Uconnect 5 software will be available not just in the 12-inch screen format, but also in 8.4-inch as well. That should be pretty exciting news for our forum members.

I know our current hardware wouldnt be able to handle it, thats why I though that last line was odd.
Gotcha. Yeah that’s pretty vague, most that don’t really think about the limitations with our hardware, will b!tch when they don’t get an OTA to Uconnect 5. But again I could be wrong and our hardware can handle it. 🤔😉

Moparian

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. Yeah that’s pretty vague, most that don’t really think about the limitations with our hardware, will b!tch when they don’t get an OTA to Uconnect 5. But again I could be wrong and our hardware can handle it. 🤔😉
IF(big if) it were to come to existing hardware it would be on the 12 and 8.4C since they already have the cellular modem, the problem is I don't think the existing systems have enough ram considering the UC5 systems have 8GB while I'd be surprised if the UC4 systems had more than 2GB. That and internal storage. Otherwise the wireless and cellular hardware are there. I know UC4 was based upon QNX from Blackberry so maybe it wouldnt be as big of a deal.....wouldnt hold my breath though

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a geek, I'm jealous. I started a thread a few months back about waiting for 2022s purely for Uconnect 5. Enough people changed my mind though. Getting the first 2022s. the system could be buggy and UConnect4 early adopters are still getting software updates over the air that fix minor gripes and bugs so I think UC4 is polished enough now that I'm sort of happy to get the last generation of 4 on my inbound 2021 and let others have the version 5 features and work out the bugs for those of us who will buy a new truck in 5-6 years.

Also, thanks to the editorial team for the rundown on the features. Multiple phones, multiple profiles, Pandora on-demand playlists, ordering pizza / booking tables (we don't have that where I live...as in we don't have places with reservations / dominos) so seems like mostly, UC5 features come down to faster responsive and more customizations along with wireless CarPlay. I'm okay not having UConnect5 on my 2021.
Yeah my area isn’t big enough to offer most of those features. I think the biggest thing I’d miss out on is Alexa control

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I am sure this isnt the case but the end of the article makes it seem like UC5 will be a software upgrade for existing 12 and 8.4 radios. Otherwise not sure why forum members would be excited about it as most arent going to be upgrading to a 22 anytime soon.

I don't read it that way at all.

1. The Uconnect performance upgrade starts with its hardware. The system processing power, reaction speed, and memory have been enhanced to take advantage of the new Android operating system. The Atlantis architecture replaces Powernet as the next generation of Stellantis core in-vehicle electronics communication. In combination with an upgraded 50K MIPS chip, 6GB of RAM, and up to 64GB of flash memory, the Uconnect 5 delivers operating speeds that are five times faster when compared to the previous generation. Faster processing speeds, advanced electrical architecture, and more memory give the Uconnect its lightning-quick response to touchscreen input.

2. The Uconnect 5 software will be available not just in the 12-inch screen format, but also in 8.4-inch as well. That should be pretty exciting news for our forum members.

The "exciting news" is UC5 on the 8.4" as well as the 12".

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting to see they didn't force the same 10" screen they've been using in the rest of the line-up into the RAM. My wife has it in her 2021 Pacifica. I love that screen size/layout. The 12" portrait screen in our RAMs is just about useless IMO - CarPlay/split-screen is just too small. I love the way the 12" looks from a hardware dash integration design perspective, but the 8.4" is nicer to use in practice.

Uconnect 5 has been fairly buggy for us so far despite a few OTA updates, mostly in the way of random reboots and phone connection drops. It is pretty fluid and overall the biggest upgrade Uconnect has had since the late 2000's. Hopefully they get the kinks ironed out. I pretty much guarantee we won't be getting Uconnect 5 on any trucks already on the road. That sort of thinng has just never happened before. That said, I am somewhat hopeful we will be able to swap the hardware and have a relatively simple plug & play upgrade to Uconnect 5, assuming the screens and connection interfaces stay exactly the same. This has worked for slight upgrades to Uconnect versions in years past, but we will have to see about Uconnect 5 since it's a pretty major change.

Users who are viewing this thread