5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Uconnect 5 no text option for IPhone 12?

Big Tup

Reaction score
Hi,
Is there a software upgrade that allows the Uconnect 5 work with Iphone 12 for text messages (12 inch screen on a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn)? My iphone works with the Uconnect for calls, but not messages as i get a message saying "phone not supported for messaging"

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try deleting it and reinstalling and make sure you click on Yes to the dialof asking if you want to download messages when initialling re-pairing the phone.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi,
Is there a software upgrade that allows the Uconnect 5 work with Iphone 12 for text messages (12 inch screen on a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited Longhorn)? My iphone works with the Uconnect for calls, but not messages as i get a message saying "phone not supported for messaging"
I’m not sure if it would be the same as mine but I have to have my phone plugged in to get text messaging through the truck .

Big Tup

Reaction score
Try deleting it and reinstalling and make sure you click on Yes to the dialof asking if you want to download messages when initialling re-pairing the phone.
thanks. i did do that, to no avail....in fact the "do you want to download messages" message doesnt even come up.

Big Tup

Reaction score
I’m not sure if it would be the same as mine but I have to have my phone plugged in to get text messaging through the truck .
thanks. that's odd. i have a Google Pixel phone that work fine without being plugged in. it's odd that uconnect clearly states "phone is not supported for messaging" vs it being a configuration or setup error.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
thanks. i did do that, to no avail....in fact the "do you want to download messages" message doesnt even come up.
Did you totally delete the phone from the truck and "forget" the BT connection on the phone?

Now here's the real bummer about Uconnect and text messages. When Uconnect went to having Android Auto and Carplay as a feature, Uconnect no longer has built in Speech to Text messaging, only some pre-defined responses. So if you actually want to be able to respond to a text, you have to use either Google or Siri, either directly through the phone or with Android Auto/Car Play, to perform the speech to text.

Big Tup

Reaction score
As it turns out, I am able to used messaging/text without Carplay. I needed to "turn on notifications" in the Bluetooth settings of my IPhone.

wsutard1

Reaction score
CarPlay should be sending your texts from the phone to the CarPlay system. They won’t show up anywhere but in CarPlay but they should be there. It’s an apple function. Has nothing to do with Uconnect.

Big Tup

Reaction score
CarPlay should be sending your texts from the phone to the CarPlay system. They won’t show up anywhere but in CarPlay but they should be there. It’s an apple function. Has nothing to do with Uconnect.
Thanks. I am not running CarPlay. But I am receiving texts without having CarPlay on, simply because i needed to turn on notifications on my cell phone.

maxweenus

Reaction score
thanks. that's odd. i have a Google Pixel phone that work fine without being plugged in. it's odd that uconnect clearly states "phone is not supported for messaging" vs it being a configuration or setup error.
I have a pixel 5, 22 Limited/12 in uconnect.
It will not allow 'messages' to work.
Are you saying the pixel shows messages?

Very curious to know as I get a not supported message and on the web url provided pixel isn't listed.

Big Tup

Reaction score
I had a pixel xl and a pixel 3 XL working fine on mine....make sure your notifications are on in your phones settings and ensure that when you initially pair your phone that you allow it to access contacts and messages

BParker03

Reaction score
Hi,
Go to settings on your phone, select Bluetooth, find the uconnect line where your phone is paired, hit the blue i out the right. Then turn on Show Notifications. That should fix it.

m.hamner

Reaction score
Thanks. I am not running CarPlay. But I am receiving texts without having CarPlay on, simply because i needed to turn on notifications on my cell phone.
what advantages do you have over using the uconnect system itself over the native iPhone interoperability with CarPlay? curious to see what I'm missing here.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Carplay doesn't support text messaging while driving anymore. My wife's 2020 Traverse won't show texts or notifications for her iPhone at all. She can make and receive phone calls, but no texting

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Carplay doesn't support text messaging while driving anymore. My wife's 2020 Traverse won't show texts or notifications for her iPhone at all. She can make and receive phone calls, but no texting
I might be misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I can send and receive texts via CarPlay while driving.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I might be misunderstanding what you’re saying, but I can send and receive texts via CarPlay while driving.
Was just a thought. I know my wife's Traverse doesn't allow it

Users who are viewing this thread