5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 5 announcement

_StangPGH

Reaction score
Glad to support for Android auto wireless as well. Article says it will debut in a 2020 vehicle but no word if it's backward compatible or if we'll need a hardware upgrade

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
On a side note, I remember at CES or one of the other big electronics shows several years ago, a few of the automotive electronic controls vendors were looking into making modular systems that could be entirely swapped out for upgrades. I haven't followed up on those announcements, but maybe someday we'll get to the point where you can just take your truck in to the dealership, have them pull out the current Uconnect module, and install the next gen Uconnect module.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
****ing retarded. Buy a $60K truck only to be a beta tester for future hardware.

There is always the “next gen” being worked on whenever you buy the current gen, especially with computers and electronics. That said, I think the Uconnect on the 8.4 is pretty awesome. The one major thing missing IMO is wireless CarPlay which I “wish” they could easily add with a software update. Other than that, I’m happy. The only other issue with the 8.4 and probably 12” are the media hubs, of which many are defective. It seems like it’s a software issue, with all the disconnects, etc but it’s not. It’s a hardware issue and the media hub has to be replaced.

The ones that really get the short end of the stick here, pun intended, are those with the 12” screens because they seem to have way more Uconnect glitches. FCA should have been working on, and hopefully are, getting those issues resolved ASAP.

Kizzo02

Reaction score
The ones that really get the short end of the stick here, pun intended, are those with the 12” screens because they seem to have way more Uconnect glitches. FCA should have been working on, and hopefully are, getting those issues resolved ASAP.

Agreed, the 12 inch owners have definitely gotten the short end of the stick. But we have to remember that the underlying architecture for Uconnect 4 was not built to handle such a large screen.

Uconnect 5 will be five times faster and can be scaled and stretched to fit any screen size. Very powerful hardware. It likely would have been better to have introduced the 12 inch screen when Uconnect 5 was ready to come to market :)

It will first debut in the 2021 Chrysler Pacifica and then other FCA vehicles later.

Last edited:

Kizzo02

Reaction score
Yep, new hardware required.

BTW, here are some spy shots of the upcoming 2021 F150. Looking really nice (including fully digital gauge cluster).
Really liking the layout:

Very nice. I like the fully digital gauge cluster. Very cool. I like that even though the screen is larger (15.5 inches), it still has the physical buttons.

Nice job Ford.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe we can make a Christmas wish that Ram will issue a recall for all the 12” owners and replace them with the new gen5 lol

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I just received 2021 ram 1500 with 12"
display. How can you tell which system is installed?
You have UConnect 4. Either HK or Alpine
Uconnect 5 has not even been announced for RAM trucks.

Cheers,

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
While it would be nice to get Gen 5, my 12" Uconnect screen works fine and is not slow from a user interface perspective, and with no glitches.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Looks like my prediction was right on target last year. uConnect 5 will be in the 2022 MY.
Sweet...

Users who are viewing this thread