5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UConnect 5 12" - Worth getting with possible issues?

__JAG__

Reaction score
Hey all, first post. I currently have a 2017 RAM 1500 and getting ready to factory order a 2022 RAM 1500. I really want the 12" screen but looks like it still has some issues. Does the 8.4" have the same software issues? Is it worth the issues it has now, thinking they will release new software to fix the known issues?

tgram

Reaction score
I would still get the 12" if I was buying again because it does look awesome for the most part and the issues while surpising and annoying should definitely be possible to fix (and not too hard) - things like certain settings/preferences getting occasionally reset for no good reason, and dropping the navigation routes every time when putting truck in reverse (my #1 complaint) are very annoying but should definitely be fixable in software.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My opinion is don’t worry yourself into not having and enjoying something you want. I’ve done that too much in the past and it’s not worth it. If you want it, get it- there’s going to be potential problems with everything. Either it’s someone who got a defective piece of hardware, or a known issue with the software that gets patched later. You can’t really control it, and 8.4 is not going to solve all the problems.

__JAG__

Reaction score
Thanks, appreciate the opinion. That is what I was thinking. Just get it and deal with it until they release some updates. I would be awhile before I receive it anyway, and maybe they will some of the issues fixed by then.

tgram

Reaction score
Some issues already seem to have gotten fixed (I've had the new 2022 Limited for about 6 months). I used to get a black screen once in a while but not any longer after the latest update few weeks ago (and full reset to factory setting after that update). Also, traffic and weather are now working most of the time for me (that never worked before the last update).

Ducky5

Reaction score
The only issue I had with my 22 Limited was the wireless CarPlay not working every time but it appears the new update fixed it 95% of the time. I don't use the dash Nav but tend to use Waze through the phone and haven't had any issues with that.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For the most part I like my 12” screen except for the minor little glitches. Strangest thing is how features just come and go with no rhyme or reason. I cannot understand why they are having such a hard time fixing any of those. I haven’t even seen a software update yet since I picked up my truck even though others have.

tgram

Reaction score
The only issue I had with my 22 Limited was the wireless CarPlay not working every time but it appears the new update fixed it 95% of the time. I don't use the dash Nav but tend to use Waze through the phone and haven't had any issues with that.

If you set the navigation route (i.e. via carplay) while in park (ie in garage before backing out), and then put the truck in reverse, and than to drive it does not drop the navigation route for you? It does that to me every time (regardless whether I use Google or Apple navigation via carplay - maybe I should try using Waze - have never used that app before).

Ducky5

Reaction score
If you set the navigation route (i.e. via carplay) while in park (ie in garage before backing out), and then put the truck in reverse, and than to drive it does not drop the navigation route for you? It does that to me every time (regardless whether I use Google or Apple navigation via carplay - maybe I should try using Waze - have never used that app before).
It never has when I leave for work. I get it, hit the shortcut on Waze for my house then put it in drive and go, never drops anything.

__JAG__

Reaction score
Can you even order a 2022 this late in the production cycle?

My 2022 Longhorn came with the 12" screen, I took delivery back in January. I've not had any issues with it.

Welcome.
I have had 2 dealers in the last week confirm that orders are still open. One told me around 8 weeks for delivery, but not sure if that is correct or not.

nitmik

Reaction score
I have the 12" and would certainly order it again. The wow factor is worth it.

I have not had any major issues. Just the little stuff everyone else is having that annoys you to no end.

Cruising

Reaction score
I purchased my 2022 ram 1500 Laramie in June 2022 this year and the problem I’m having with my 12 inch screen is that sometimes it goes black and I can control only the minimum of function such as radio volume and tuning and air-conditioning controls From the manual controls not the screen. But that’s a pretty big problem when your screen goes black and you cannot control the many functions That would normally be available from the touchscreen.

__JAG__

Reaction score
I ended up not getting. I couldn't order what I wanted this late in the year. And just had to find one one a lot. Its very rare to find a Big Horn with a 12" screen on the lot. So I settled for the 8".

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey all, first post. I currently have a 2017 RAM 1500 and getting ready to factory order a 2022 RAM 1500. I really want the 12" screen but looks like it still has some issues. Does the 8.4" have the same software issues? Is it worth the issues it has now, thinking they will release new software to fix the known issues?
_Jag_,

We appreciate you taking the time to write this post. We stand behind our products and our team is always working on ways to improve our products. If you ever experience any issues with your vehicle, you're always welcome to reach out to us directly, we'd be happy to assist you further with any of your vehicle concerns.

William
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread