5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 4 With 8.4 display

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m very thorough (at least I thought) and feel like I dropped the ball on this cheap *** radio! NO HD, NAV, remote features, etc. Very unhappy.
I'm in the same boat. I bought early in May and all the information at the time pointed toward being able to activate the navigation later on down the road like the 4th gens. I will swap it out at some point, probably with the 12" screen since the cost will be pretty close either way.

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. I bought early in May and all the information at the time pointed toward being able to activate the navigation later on down the road like the 4th gens. I will swap it out at some point, probably with the 12" screen since the cost will be pretty close either way.

I’ve looked. The only place to purchase now would be via the dealer from what I have seen. Have you had any luck or even searched as of yet?

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve looked. The only place to purchase now would be via the dealer from what I have seen. Have you had any luck or even searched as of yet?
They are all over eBay and craigslist. Usually sub $800. Ive seen them as low as $500. You have to also buy the nav/radio module and right now it looks like the only place for that is from Ram. Not sure if anybody has successfully gotten everything to work yet but it's only a matter of time.

ncsu92

Reaction score
They are all over eBay and craigslist. Usually sub $800. Ive seen them as low as $500. You have to also buy the nav/radio module and right now it looks like the only place for that is from Ram. Not sure if anybody has successfully gotten everything to work yet but it's only a matter of time.

Based on what I have been told, it is not possible to upgrade. If you find a way, please post. I am very interested.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Based on what I have been told, it is not possible to upgrade. If you find a way, please post. I am very interested.
Anything is possible. People have got it working for the most part, just a knob or two people are having issues with. I know infotainment.com has been working on it. Give it time and somebody will have it 100% functional.

Another part of that is the dealers dont want you doing it. I'm sure the dealer will have to program something into the computer for 100% functionality. Finding one to do it could prove troublesome.

ncsu92

Reaction score
Anything is possible. People have got it working for the most part, just a knob or two people are having issues with. I know infotainment.com has been working on it. Give it time and somebody will have it 100% functional.

Another part of that is the dealers dont want you doing it. I'm sure the dealer will have to program something into the computer for 100% functionality. Finding one to do it could prove troublesome.

Converting the non-nav 8.4?

ncsu92

Reaction score
Yes people have been

Good to know. Where did you see that? I read, I think that it was on here, that the 8.4 non nav is a different manufactured by a different company and is not compatible with the nav control module.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good to know. Where did you see that? I read, I think that it was on here, that the 8.4 non nav is a different manufactured by a different company and is not compatible with the nav control module.
The 8.4 non nav is a self contained unit. The nav units are a separate brain and then the screen.

tkeresztesi

Reaction score
what is wrong with FCA they place a cheap stereo in a 54k truck, can we upgrade to the 8.4 with nav. Before there was no apple car play now no navigation.

jcurran

Reaction score

Not exactly true. Try Infotainment.com https://www.infotainment.com/collec...y-android-auto-upgrade?variant=11936848674852

The price is going to cost $2700 for the UConnect 4c Nav 8.4 inch unit or $4000 for the UConnect 4c Nav 12 Inch unit but it is possible. Note however, they cannot guarantee you will obtain the wifi hotspot or SiriusXM Guardian though. It may be something that would be automatically enabled depending on the trim of the vehicle and packages installed or it may require additional equipment that can only be installed at the time the vehicle is built. On the plus side it is guaranteed to enable HD Radio and SiriusXM Travel Link. Also they offer an option to buy back the non-nav UConnect 4 with 8.4 inch display radio from you.

Last edited:

jcurran

Reaction score

It's not that it requires programming the computer, it's that they refuse to do it because doing so would give you less incentive to trade in your RAM for a more expensive one that comes with the features you want already included. It's what protects their monopoly by getting people hooked on coming back every couple years to gain the latest and greatest features. But it really doesn't have to be that way at all. Smart people will figure out what components are needed to gain access and will circumvent the trap, FCA put in place to get more money out of people, and will post youtube videos about how to accomplish doing it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread