5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

uConnect 4 With 8.4 display

Rayzram

Reaction score
I am having a heck of a time attempting to figure this out. Is it possible for this system in my truck to have an app to perform functions such as remote start, unlock doors, etc? It shows available, but instructions start with pushing button on the rearview mirror. I do NOT have buttons on my rear view mirror. I can't get a straight answer and have watched videos read the articles on Ram owner and uConect site. Plan on discussing with the dealer but wanted to see if anyone here may be able to shed some light.

Last edited:

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2019 Laramie Crew level 1 group UConnect 4 with 8.4 display
Try updating your signature with all your trucks details. Helps members figure out how to help by referencing other members solutions based on similarities in options and build dates.

You need Nav to use uConnect apps to interact with your truck.

Rayzram

Reaction score

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From my window sticker:
Uconnect® 4 with 8.4–Inch Display
Apple CarPlay® Capable
Google Android Auto™ Capable
I think you have those apps confused with Remote Auto Start and Remote Lock, which are both Nav specific features.

Android auto and Apple carplay are phone interfaces that change the function of your screen to reflect your phones apps. In no way shape or form can you remote lock or remote start with Android or Apple apps. Sorry.

Rayzram

Reaction score
I think you have those apps confused with Remote Auto Start and Remote Lock, which are both Nav specific features.

Android auto and Apple carplay are phone interfaces that change the function of your screen to reflect your phones apps. In no way shape or form can you remote lock or remote start with Android or Apple apps. Sorry.

Hey thats super to know at least, and I now can quit trying...lol. Thank you very much, I will just learn to not have this feature on a 54K truck I have on my 19K Malibu :/

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey thats super to know at least, and I now can quit trying...lol. Thank you very much, I will just learn to not have this feature on a 54K truck I have on my 19K Malibu :/
Agreed, I find Ram has been behind in Tech for a while, and you almost have to be an insider to understand what comes with what and what functions are available. Besides, unless @BobbiBigWheels is your dealer, you're up the creek without a paddle. I like my salesman, but he was clueless.

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately RAM has changed up how the different radios work for the 2019s. There wasn't a whole lot of options when I bought mine and even my sales guy though I would be able to add Nav to my truck. Not the case. Had I known at the time, I probably would have waited till one popped up with the options I wanted, or I would have just built one to order.

Vesperia2012

Reaction score
Late to this thread but I was just doing what the OP was as well until I figured out I have just the 8.4 Uconnect 4 system without NAV. That's annoying as I wasn't described these differences. I would have gone with nav then just to be able to use the auto start and extra apps.

Lights_out

Reaction score
I traded in a 2018 Charger that had the 8.4 non nav unit, it was the 4c. Fully expected the same exact unit in my 19 Ram, non nav, looked identical. Didn't eeven think twice about it and didn't realize until I was driving home from the dealership that it was different and a few options and things we're missing. Did a little digging and found out that they changed things up on our trucks. No nav gets a stripped down unit. No HD radio, no connectivity to apps, can't change things like the theme, etc. Very disappointing.

DwW

Reaction score
I traded in a 2018 Charger that had the 8.4 non nav unit, it was the 4c. Fully expected the same exact unit in my 19 Ram, non nav, looked identical. Didn't eeven think twice about it and didn't realize until I was driving home from the dealership that it was different and a few options and things we're missing. Did a little digging and found out that they changed things up on our trucks. No nav gets a stripped down unit. No HD radio, no connectivity to apps, can't change things like the theme, etc. Very disappointing.
I had the exact experience. Very very disappointing to see a 54K vehicle with technology from 10 years ago rather than the advertised "most technologically advance truck ever made". I don't think it is even an option to upgrade after the fact either.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Problem is they had a no nav with Telematic and for some reason the ram in 2019 they decided no telematics unless nav . Pretty stupid in 2019 to not have it as standard across trims. It’s not as if it adds an extreme amount to the cost of the truck especially at the price the trucks are at currently

dswoboda2120

Reaction score
The uconnect app and the Ram app both remote start and lock my vehicle through my phone. Works with both Android and Apple but your truck needs to have WiFi.

Attachments

• 46DE2C72-1B42-4F73-A7AB-7724747CF51E.png
    46DE2C72-1B42-4F73-A7AB-7724747CF51E.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 30

bohaiboy

Reaction score
The uconnect app and the Ram app both remote start and lock my vehicle through my phone. Works with both Android and Apple but your truck needs to have WiFi.
Brand new Laramie owner as of today. I foolishly also did not check out the NAV system. I bought a Laramie and one would just assume the NAV system would be a standard. NOT. So very disappointed there. However, mine does have remote start on the key fob. Someone mentioned needed the NAV for that but not the case. Looking to gain lots of useful info on this site. Merry Christmas all.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You need to have nav to have the APP functionality. That did not use to be the case.

bohaiboy

Reaction score
Does one need the NAV for the wireless charging capability as well? TIA

Sbroussard69

Reaction score
I’m very thorough (at least I thought) and feel like I dropped the ball on this cheap *** radio! NO HD, NAV, remote features, etc. Very unhappy.

Users who are viewing this thread