5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UAW VP Says Stellantis Has Threaten To Move Ram 1500 Production To Mexico

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

UAW VP Says Stellantis Has Threaten To Move Ram 1500 Production To Mexico​

Ram 1500 Is The Company's Best-Selling Vehicle In North America...​

tempImagexLJaE1.png

Negotiations between the United Auto Workers (UAW) and Stellantis have turned increasingly contentious. Over the weekend, UAW Vice President Rich Boyer, who is leading the union’s negotiations with Stellantis, revealed that the automaker had raised the prospect of moving the current Ram 1500 (DT) production from Metro Detroit to Mexico.

trainman

Reaction score
Move it to the Texas, or Tennessee where everything else is going. No need to go the Mexico where they are not helping with us on Drug Running, Inigrant control, and just about everything else that does not help our country.

frisby5

Reaction score
Im all for paying the workers and getting good benefits, but they are being greedy in my opion. What got GM and Chrylser in trouble during the Great recession was Unions and the pension plans they had more money going out then coming in. If they pay them what they want our trucks are going to cost close to 100k in the future.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Proud member of a union. Unions are what have brought the entire working class up. In my opinion they're not asking for too much. Some of these things were just talking points. For example the 32 hr work week. Everyone knew it was never going to happen but it's better to ask for it all and cut the fat off during negotiations. The 46% pay increase comes from that being the same percentage of a raise the CEO got. The unions also agreed to make concessions on pay and retirement until after the companies recovered from the great recession. Those concessions were never repaid. There's also no evidence that the unions are what caused their financial woes during the great recession.

In relation to the trucks costing more - did you realize that trucks and suvs are almost 3 to 4 times more profitable than a sedan? That's because in reality they're not that much more difficult to produce and they can easily jack the prices up on them. We already have trucks over 100k and it's because dumb dumbs keep paying for them.

I'll never understand how people think it's fair that for example housing has gone up 1600% since the 70s and wages have failed to keep up with that.

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Proud member of a union. Unions are what have brought the entire working class up. In my opinion they're not asking for too much. Some of these things were just talking points. For example the 32 hr work week. Everyone knew it was never going to happen but it's better to ask for it all and cut the fat off during negotiations. The 46% pay increase comes from that being the same percentage of a raise the CEO got. The unions also agreed to make concessions on pay and retirement until after the companies recovered from the great recession. Those concessions were never repaid. There's also no evidence that the unions are what caused their financial woes during the great recession.

In relation to the trucks costing more - did you realize that trucks and suvs are almost 3 to 4 times more profitable than a sedan? That's because in reality they're not that much more difficult to produce and they can easily jack the prices up on them. We already have trucks over 100k and it's because dumb dumbs keep paying for them.

I'll never understand how people think it's fair that for example housing has gone up 1600% since the 70s and wages have failed to keep up with that.
And they'll move production to Mexico. And they could do it overnight already having the plant in Saltillo I believe. UAW workers out of jobs. I'm pro union, but unfortunately too many times the corporation has upper hand.
Thank you Mr. Clinton for NAFTA!

Last edited:

LITTLEREBEL

Reaction score

I'm in south Louisiana and I have watched unions get a whole chemical plant shut down. Unions down here might be different than yours, idk.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm in south Louisiana and I have watched unions get a whole chemical plant shut down. Unions down here might be different than yours, idk.
And I've watched my union keep older plants from being shut down as part of negotiations. A union is just a collective bargaining group. Lawyers and doctors are part of unions. They just call them associations. People have said yellow freight shut down because of the union yet they fail to acknowledge the teamsters gave back retirement and wage increases in a bid to keep the company afloat. It is the responsibility of a business to turn a profit. The unions are just trying to fight for the American dream. The middle class was built on labor. Unfortunately, the middle class continues to shrink at an alarming rate and people say that union members are to blame. It wasn't that long ago you could afford a house, a new car and have a retirement on a single income. I'll fight tooth and nail to keep that because I'm one of the few that still has it. I would like for every American to have the same benefits I have. Guess what - UPS is still going to turn a profit even with their record contract.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
From a purely business standpoint, I'm honestly shocked that the Big 3 haven't ditched Detroit for Mexico or southern states years ago. All parties seem to be just fine with the antagonistic relationship between the companies and the UAW and it makes *zero* business sense.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I know someone that worked for GM plant in MI and they lived on a single income with a very nice house and he wasnt even in mgmt just on the line I would say he makes a good living. It IS greed period

OutlawHemi22

Reaction score
I know someone that worked for GM plant in MI and they lived on a single income with a very nice house and he wasnt even in mgmt just on the line I would say he makes a good living. It IS greed period
And what would you call the $20 million plus a year that the CEOs of these companies make?

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The CEO of GM received a 34% increase in her salary last year. What about the other employees that contribute to the billions of dollars in revenue? Not even close to that.
If one of the underpaid employees thinks THEY can run the company, then tell them to put in an application. If they're only qualified to tighten bolts, then they have no room to complain.

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If one of the underpaid employees thinks THEY can run the company, then tell them to put in an application. If they're only qualified to tighten bolts, then they have no room to complain.
You mean like one of the “temporary” employees who is worked full time year after year while dangling the carrot with benefits and job security? Is that who doesn’t have any room to complain?

There are arguments on both sides of the coin and just go in circles. Let’s just hope it gets resolved quickly and fairly and all parties are happy. (Although I’m sure both sides will continue to complain either way.

Clv22p

Reaction score
TBH it seems like most members of this forum could do a better job than Dodge, Jeep, Ram has in the last few years. Products overpriced, outdated, and poor planning for the future.

Last call for Dodge, and nothing but the Hornet for 2024.
Jeep is having to do large discounts to move cars.
Ram is still using the same basic truck that debuted in 2009 for their 2500s.

Im a giant fan of CDJR, (own a 2023 GCL, 2022 Ram 1500, and 2021 Challenger, 2017 Ram 2500), but I am not optimistic about their future.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
what year was this?
how much were the homes back then, how much are they now?
would he be able to make it with his current salary today or somebody, a young person that was not fortunate to get a better job or education.
If the answer is yes then it is greed, if the answer is no then union is fighting for a fair share of the pie

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online