5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U11E9 Active Grille Shutter error back again a year after replacing it.

howster

Reaction score
Hi,
Replaced the Active Grille Shutter (AGS) on my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie myself 12-18 months ago after getting the U11E9 code. Incidentally, something I'd never want to do again given the complexity, frustration and awkwardness of doing it lying on the ground. Now the error is back again so wondering what is causing it. I'm not a mechanic btw. Cleared the error code to remove the check engine light but it returns after a few days. Truck does <150 miles light duty a week for last year so hardly wear and tear. I understand unplugging the AGS also won't pass State Inspection. Hoping it's as an easy fix involving a computer bug, system reboot or fuse change? I cant be putting a new AGS into it every year. The AGS is in open position and I still I have the old one. All help appreciated. Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
It may be your active air dam that's bad. It is tied in to the AGS. try disconnecting that and have the code cleared to see if it comes back. If it is the AAD, there is an extended warranty on the AAD.

howster

Reaction score
Ok thanks. It looks like to get at the electrical connection (I believe there's only one) to the little motor within the AGS I have to take apart the front of the car,
,which I don't have the sanity to do again.
I'll have to find out what an AAD is in beginner terms :) ....YouTube here I come.
I did manually close the AGS shutters and restarted the truck and they opened right back up. To an amateur like me that would suggest the AGS is fine and it's a computer glitch? It's 80F here today so open status would be right. I also disconnected the -ve on battery for 20mins to reset car computer. Will report back if engine light comes back. I erased the U11E9 code using an Autel AutoLink AL329 OBD2 Scanner https://a.co/d/5KsrQl2. When I run it after all my "fixes" the engine light is off but the OBD2 scan says the U11E9 is at "pending" on page 1 and at "permanent" on page 2 of the scanner display. So much recon for a part the car doesn't actually need but must have working for State Inspection. This is a $2k+ fix in MA for parts and labor.
Thanks for help.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
For the AAD, all you have to do it crawl under the truck and unplug it, tape up the connectors up, and zip tie them out of the way. No need to remove anything.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ok thanks. It looks like to get at the electrical connection (I believe there's only one) to the little motor within the AGS I have to take apart the front of the car,
,which I don't have the sanity to do again.
I'll have to find out what an AAD is in beginner terms :) ....YouTube here I come.
I did manually close the AGS shutters and restarted the truck and they opened right back up. To an amateur like me that would suggest the AGS is fine and it's a computer glitch? It's 80F here today so open status would be right. I also disconnected the -ve on battery for 20mins to reset car computer. Will report back if engine light comes back. I erased the U11E9 code using an Autel AutoLink AL329 OBD2 Scanner https://a.co/d/5KsrQl2. When I run it after all my "fixes" the engine light is off but the OBD2 scan says the U11E9 is at "pending" on page 1 and at "permanent" on page 2 of the scanner display. So much recon for a part the car doesn't actually need but must have working for State Inspection. This is a $2k+ fix in MA for parts and labor.
Thanks for help.
AAD is active air dam. Below front bumper.

RobsRam

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Etorque showing same code U11E9 Dealer had truck all day and is ordering a new AAD part CXPKX961AA today. Don't have much faith that this is the fix after researching this forum.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
My 2019 Ram Etorque showing same code U11E9 Dealer had truck all day and is ordering a new AAD part CXPKX961AA today. Don't have much faith that this is the fix after researching this forum.
It might, at least for awhile. You could just remove it too.

Users who are viewing this thread