5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Full-Sized Truck Sales Comparison: Q2 2023 vs. Q2 2022

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

U.S. Full-Sized Truck Sales Comparison: Q2 2023 vs. Q2 2022​

How Does Ram Stack Up During Q2 Of 2023?​

1688795185623.png

Full-sized trucks are popular among American consumers, known for their versatility, power, and towing capabilities. Let’s take a look at the sales figures for Q2 2023 and compare them with Q2 2022, and see where Ram stands.

jloops

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With so many SRT vehicles with “street styling” I’m surprised they haven’t already done a street version of the Ram. I could only imagine how good a Ram would look if they did similar styling to a Trackhawk or Durango.

vinnieloo

Reaction score
Do these types of numbers ever differentiate between fleet numbers and individual consumers?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do these types of numbers ever differentiate between fleet numbers and individual consumers?

No, they are just based on light duty total sold, which is 3,500 size and below I believe. But fleet sales, especially for full size trucks likely in business and construction companies are just as important as consumer sales. Having a home construction company choose your brand of trucks is a big selling point that Ford, GM and RAM go after as well.

RAM had a big slide this year in comparison to GM and Ford, I think a big part of that is their aging HD line of trucks, their 2500 - 3500 probably a bulk of the sales slide. However, they don't break down those numbers.

Dewey

Reaction score
I like the idea of replacing the 5.7 with the 6.4 as an option in addition to the Hurricane. That would please the V8 purists who want a bigger motor yet still maintain the dreaded EPA numbers since I doubt the 6.4 would be sold in high volumes.

Snekpete

Reaction score
Let me tell a story that will shed some light on this topic, the lack of a RAM sales increase.

In the spring of 2021 the frame on my old Ford F150 Lariat rusted through, the truck was shot. I needed a truck. I have six criteria:

1) Crew Cab
2) 4x4
3) V8
4) Leather
5) Sliding rear window.
6) American

So I set out on my journey. This is May 2021. I wanted another Ford. The local Ford dealers had NO TRUCKS ON THE LOT! I travelled from NC to PA, The Ford dealers had NO TRUCKS ON THE LOT! Fine. The parts (chip) shortage was in full swing. After what GM did in 2009 I will never buy one of their products, so I took a look at Dodge. The local Dodge Dealer, Tate, had a nice Laramie on the lot that met my criteria. I politely asked the manager to drop the $800 dealer prep charge. He refused, I walked, they lost a $60,000 sale. This was my first indication that Tate is a real shady outfit.

I started looking online. I didn't know the first thing about RAM trucks but I fell in love with the Power Wagon and put a $1,000 down on one that was on order. That was a different dealer in PA. They stole my credit card number and I got a lot of fraudulent charges. The delivery date kept slipping. I asked for my deposit back, they lost the receipt. I threatened them with alerting VISA of credit card fraud and they promptly credited my card the $1,000.

I found my Power Wagon in Central NC and flew down to take a look. When I got there they had put a nice sized dent in driver's side rear door and quarter panel. Oh, it's just a scratch. That ain't no scratch and a PDR ain't gonna fix it. I offered them $8,000 under sticker and after wasting a couple hours of my time, they refused. They fraudulently billed the insurance company for repairs that weren't necessary and I'm sure that they sold the truck as brand new to an unsuspecting customer. Shady.

Back to the internet. I find a really nice RAM online in Lititz PA. I go look at it, it's a beautiful steel blue rig with one inch lift. I offer them $1,000 under sticker and after wasting three hours of our time they accept. They recouped $800 of that by charging me for a PA registration which was never used or needed. The three hours wore me down and I didn't catch the error, I just wanted to get out of there. That is why the dealers make you wait around for hours when buying a new car, it wears you down and makes you more vulnerable to being hustled.

Anyway, typical male, I buy the truck, take it home and then do a little research. What the heck is a Rebel, anyway? It's been a great truck so far and a much better fit for me than the Power Wagon. The dog particularly likes the rear seat AC.

But, keep in mind that Ford had NO TRUCKS on their lots for almost a year and although RAM had shortages, and the prices were high, they did have and were selling trucks in 2021 and 22.

Of course Ford sales increased in 23, they've finally got some trucks to sell. I don't know anything about GM and don't care to.

Pete

Bavet

Reaction score
I wonder if the fact that you can't buy a truck without eTorque lends to Ram's decline? They ruined eTorque in the 2022 models and, sadly, I won't be buying another eTorque Ram so my only option is to go to the competition.

Reaction score
I am (was) a Ford guy. I’ve been driving the F150 for almost 2 decades and didn’t even think about the other brands.
Right at the beginning of Covid early 2020, I decided it was time for a new model. I was in an 07 at the time.
Unfortunately Ford doesn’t like to sell trucks with V8’s anymore, and since GM products are pure junk, I looked at Ram.
Landed myself in a Rebel with 5.7 Hemi without E-torque and have been pleasantly surprised how much I like it.
Time will tell on longevity but so far so good.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm glad I ordered my Laramie in late Sept 2020. Delivery was last week in November.
I got everything I ordered and no Chip shortages. The only things to make it exactly
the way I would have wanted it would be the Limited LED headlights, Rear seat ventilation,
8 ft bed, and 50 Gallon Fuel Tank.

Malodave

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Proof that you can't design, develop, build, and deliver a hot new pickup truck and then not touch it again for a decade.

Ram went from being the only company showing consistent growth and sales increases annually to being the only one stagnant and wilting in the heat. Sad. I’m not sure the 2025 powertrain shakeup and new infotainment will be enough. Ford and GM are doing real, meaningful updates to their trucks. Ram will be selling the same body, same interior, and same platform for years to come. And we won’t even get into the debacle the Ram HD trucks have turned into. My goodness what a dumpster fire…

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
With so many SRT vehicles with “street styling” I’m surprised they haven’t already done a street version of the Ram. I could only imagine how good a Ram would look if they did similar styling to a Trackhawk or Durango.
Because they already sell an overpriced TRX.
And yes I know the TRX was not designed for street, which is one of the reasons I didn't get one.

Reverse

Reaction score
Not a word about Ram's insane price increases?
Ram are doing everything they can to price customers out of their trucks. New strategy is apparently to become a luxury brand with luxury prices.
With today's interest rates and the inflated prices (not to mention dealer markups), many plainly can't afford the payments on anew truck loan anymore.

They are now more expensive than Tundra's. I love my Limited, but can also admit that Tundras have better quality than Ram. Prefer to buy American, but not at any price.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Ram are doing everything they can to price customers out of their trucks. New strategy is apparently to become a luxury brand with luxury prices.
With today's interest rates and the inflated prices (not to mention dealer markups), many plainly can't afford the payments on anew truck loan anymore.

They are now more expensive than Tundra's. I love my Limited, but can also admit that Tundras have better quality than Ram. Prefer to buy American, but not at any price.
Up until 2021 Ram trucks were a bargain compared to GM and Ford. The price increases in 2022/2023 have pretty much leveled the pricing.

Have you owned a Tundra? I did and although it was a fairly reliable truck, it still had issues. The interior of the Tundra is crap compared to the Ram. Very cheap and plasticky.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I can't comment on a Tundra quality, but they are the same price when optioned similarly with the Limited appearing to have have more features at a lower price per the website.
Looks like a Capstone is around 84k and a Limited around 82k.
Can you pay that much less then MSRP for a Toyota then a Ram?

I will say I like the interior on the new Tundras, they used to look so cheap but the new ones look pretty good, and still give you a console shifter and dead pedal unlike Ram.

1689013855798.png
1689013892318.png

wegasque

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't comment on a Tundra quality, but they are the same price when optioned similarly with the Limited appearing to have have more features at a lower price per the website.
Looks like a Capstone is around 84k and a Limited around 82k.
Can you pay that much less then MSRP for a Toyota then a Ram?

I will say I like the interior on the new Tundras, they used to look so cheap but the new ones look pretty good, and still give you a console shifter and dead pedal unlike Ram.
Unlike Ram Limited, Tundra Capstone does not allow a longer bed. And of course, no V-8 option, only a V-6 hybrid

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Unlike Ram Limited, Tundra Capstone does not allow a longer bed. And of course, no V-8 option, only a V-6 hybrid
Ahhh I didn't realize it was a v6, twin turbo too.
Can't really compare it to a Ram Limited at all then imo since Ram doesn't currently make Limited except as a v8.

The inside still looks nice though.

Dewey

Reaction score

Totally agree. It’s gotten out of hand and appears people are finally deciding they’re not worth it anymore thus the sales are dropping. Until BIG rebates show up again I expect sales to keep dropping.

Users who are viewing this thread