5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U.S. Full-Sized Truck Sales Comparison: Q2 2023 vs. Q2 2022

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because they already sell an overpriced TRX.
And yes I know the TRX was not designed for street, which is one of the reasons I didn't get one.

How did you determine that the TRX is overpriced? Just because you think it's overpriced, doesn't mean the market agrees with you.

The Motor Trend TRX street rendering was drawn up with a V8 in 2021. If they built it today, it's likely it would come with the Hurricane I-6.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I will say I like the interior on the new Tundras, they used to look so cheap but the new ones look pretty good
I dunno, to me the Tundra looks like their interior design team just had no idea what to do with all that space. Stuffed the corporate switchgear in there and called it a day. Especially apparent on lower trims. Bit of a waste they couldn't find more storage or imaginative designs.

And as for the GM trucks... let's not forget that their "trucky parts" are every bit as old as Ram's, at least in the 1500 class. The new GM interiors are better now - good, even - but I'm probably in the minority as not putting them even remotely on par with Ram. Their seats are still awful.

(I'm sure I come across as an interiors snob now haha)

So updated or not, Ram still puts out a better product than those 2.

I think Ram's slide is two-fold:
1) The price hikes are ridiculous (especially combined with the decontenting)
2) They were on a high from handling Covid like a champ and having trucks to sell, unlike their competitors, who are no longer at such a disadvantage today.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I will say I like the interior on the new Tundras, they used to look so cheap but the new ones look pretty good, and still give you a console shifter and dead pedal unlike Ram.

View attachment 162603
View attachment 162604

Even though the Tundra interior has come a long way, it's still cheap and plasticky feeling compared with the Ram. If you get a chance, take a look at one. It looks better in pics, but it's kind of on par with the F150 interior.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say part of Rams plateau as you may say is buyers waiting on the mid life refresh that is overdue. And HD buyers holding out hoping they finally get the 5th gen cab.

As for pricing, they had low prices to move trucks to grab market share. The price hikes now actually reflect true market value and are on par with the competition.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How did you determine that the TRX is overpriced? Just because you think it's overpriced, doesn't mean the market agrees with you.
A TRX goes for 100k+.
It's not worth 100k.
Neither is a Limited 1500 worth 80k.

When all companies jack up prices and rich people still buy because they don't care about the price why would a manufacture give normal fair pricing. Just because something has a going rate doesn't mean it's not overpriced.

Dewey

Reaction score
A TRX goes for 100k+.
It's not worth 100k.
When all companies jack up prices and rich people still buy because they don't care about the price why would a manufacture give normal fair pricing. Just because something has a going rate doesn't mean it's not overpriced.
Maybe the rich are buying TRX’s and Limiteds at those prices but the business isn’t modeled on only those sales. The drastic increases on lower models is what’s gonna hurt them long term. Back in the day the average middle class customer had no problem affording a new truck. These days many are being priced right out of the market due to inflation. That’s where a huge bulk of the sales are and that will no doubt hurt long term.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
A TRX goes for 100k+.
It's not worth 100k.

Okay, just as I thought...your opinion. There aren't enough rich people to prop up truck prices.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay, just as I thought...your opinion. There aren't enough rich people to prop up truck prices.
Lol?
What do you consider overpriced then?
Obviously based upon OP's article Ram truck sales are not increasing like all other manufacturers, so the TRX must not be selling good.
Is a pickup really worth $40k more then the equivalent car? $40k worth of additional metal and suspension components?
Right...

Dewey

Reaction score
Lol?
Obviously based upon OP's article Ram truck sales are not increasing like all other manufacturers, so the TRX must not be selling good.
Is a pickup really worth $40k more then the equivalent car? $40k worth of additional metal and suspension components?
Right...
What car are you referring too?
I’ve seen new Hellcat’s on lots marked up to $100k. Considering what you get with a TRX with all the offroad goodies and a much larger vehicle I would say the TRX is a much better value than the car.

One example. This one is ONLY $96k.
34F52A8C-8FDE-41AA-BB92-185FF90807C5.jpeg
CCA71251-17D7-45EC-BBF3-A6FBA416FD3D.jpeg

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Lol?
Right...

Overpriced to me is a price I'm not willing to pay. Right now, that is anything above MSRP.

If TRX's aren't selling, as you claim, the prices should be dropping. Spending a few days on the phone calling dozens of dealers tells me that's not happening. With 2024 being the last call for the Hellcat powered TRX's, pricing is not going to get better.

The TRX is a great value for how much truck you get. You certainly couldn't build a similar truck, starting out with a Limited, for anywhere close to $100k.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
What car are you referring too?
I’ve seen new Hellcat’s on lots marked up to $100k. Considering what you get with a TRX with all the offroad goodies and a much larger vehicle I would say the TRX is a much better value than the car.

One example. This one is ONLY $96k.
View attachment 162616
View attachment 162617
That's 84k MSRP right on that sticker, not 96k.

Overpriced to me is a price I'm not willing to pay. Right now, that is anything above MSRP.
MSRP changes each year with Ram and by changes I means just goes up, MSRP may as well be a number calculated by the amount of fairy dust that falls on the 6th Tuesday of the December as far as Ram is concerned.
If Ram tells you MSRP is a 2024 TRX is now 115k you would be okay with it as long as you get it for MSRP.
I mean it's your money\loan spend it how you want.

The TRX is a great value for how much truck you get. You certainly couldn't build a similar truck, starting out with a Limited, for anywhere close to $100k.
Why would you start out with a Limited to build a TRX?
A Limited comes with WAY more features\options stock then a base TRX does.
More like start with a Bighorn and work your way to build what a TRX has as that's is more similarly optioned.

The TRX doesn't even come with front power seats as a base feature for 87k

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Go find that truck in the real world, you can't, the MSRP of a TRX is not 80,785.
Also that price is incorrect, not sure what you are trying to post, a older trucks MSRP after I said MSRP keeps changing?
I never said the TRX is a bad truck, wtf is it with people being white knights for the pricing on a TRX?

And that Challenger you listed with the MSRP of 84k is loaded with various packages. So it's 84k vs a base TRX's MSRP which is 86,550, but the challenger has items from the TRX level 2 which is another 11k MSRP on top of the 86.5k, possibly even more.
You can get that Jailbreak for 66k MSRP vs 87k for a TRX, so $20,000 difference

Last edited:

Dewey

Reaction score
Go find that truck in the real world, you can't, the MSRP of a TRX is not 80,785.
Also that price is incorrect, not sure what you are trying to post, a older trucks MSRP after I said MSRP keeps changing?
I never said the TRX is a bad truck, wtf is it with people being white knights for the pricing on a TRX?
White Knight?😆

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Stellantis recently paid $235.5M in fines for not meeting fuel-efficiency standards. People want gas-guzzling trucks - TRX being the king in that regard. So where does the money for these fines come from? It gets built into the price.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
MSRP changes each year with Ram and by changes I means just goes up, MSRP may as well be a number calculated by the amount of fairy dust that falls on the 6th Tuesday of the December as far as Ram is concerned.
If Ram tells you MSRP is a 2024 TRX is now 115k you would be okay with it as long as you get it for MSRP.
I mean it's your money\loan spend it how you want.

Why would you start out with a Limited to build a TRX?
A Limited comes with WAY more features\options stock then a base TRX does.
More like start with a Bighorn and work your way to build what a TRX has as that's is more similarly optioned.

The TRX doesn't even come with front power seats as a base feature for 87k

Didn't I say, MSRP is what I'm willing to pay right now? That might change tomorrow, but my Magic 8 Ball is broken, so I don't know what I'd be willing to pay for a 2024.

MSRP goes up every year for all manufacturers. It seems like you think this is just a Ram thing.

Yes, it's my money and there won't be a loan.

I can't have an intelligent conversation with someone that thinks a Big Horn has more in common with a TRX than a Limited.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Didn't I say, MSRP is what I'm willing to pay right now? That might change tomorrow, but my Magic 8 Ball is broken, so I don't know what I'd be willing to pay for a 2024.

MSRP goes up every year for all manufacturers. It seems like you think this is just a Ram thing.

Yes, it's my money and there won't be a loan.

I can't have an intelligent conversation with someone that thinks a Big Horn has more in common with a TRX than a Limited.
A Bighorn probably does have more in common with a TRX then a Limited, if you are comparing base model to base model.
A Limited comes with passenger power seats standard, a TRX does not.
I would except a 86k+ base MSRP to have all power seats.

Idahoktm

Reaction score
A Bighorn probably does have more in common with a TRX then a Limited, if you are comparing base model to base model.

You're a funny guy.

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’m gonna have to disagree with you there. You’re focused on power seats, but ignoring a heck of a lot else. Power folding mirrors, LED projector headlights, stuff like that. Heck, a full-size spare for crying out loud. Not even the Limited gets that - well, it gets a full-sized spare, but only a “temporary use” one.

Back to the TRX, only 2.4% of the 2023 TRX’s made are base models. Kinda tells you that people aren’t buying it, they’re picking the higher packages.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A TRX goes for 100k+.
It's not worth 100k.

It's not all "rich people" buying TRXs. Of course that all depends on your definition of what makes a person "rich".

Users who are viewing this thread