5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

U Connect Won't Let My Phone Go

Zig10

Reaction score
Got a slight problem that I'm hoping the community can help with. When I'm on a call through the U-Connect in my truck and I want to park and continue the call on my phone outside of the vehicle I can't the system to completely "release" my phone. I can transfer the call to the phone from the system and speak through the phone speaker/mic, but the 12" screen won't turn off even though the car is off, and the "call time" counter continues to count the minutes on the call. I've tried locking the doors, walking away from the car, and when I come back the screen is still on. The only way I can completely get it to shut off is to hang up the phone and call the person back after I lock the car. This is fine with personal calls, but doesn't work well on a business call or conference call.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is via BlueTooth?

I don't use BT - I hardwire. If I'm getting out of the truck - switch the iPhone to speaker on the phone, disconnect cable - done.

I assume the BT keeps the head unit active, while a call is active - so it doesn't drop the call by accident. This is likely BY DESIGN (so it's a BUG - masquerading as a FEATURE).

My $.02

Rick

Rexx

Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same issue. It’s annoying but I haven’t had it happen that often so I haven’t worried about it. I’m wondering if turning Bluetooth on the phone off temporarily before shutting the truck off would work as a work around.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Got a slight problem that I'm hoping the community can help with. When I'm on a call through the U-Connect in my truck and I want to park and continue the call on my phone outside of the vehicle I can't the system to completely "release" my phone. I can transfer the call to the phone from the system and speak through the phone speaker/mic, but the 12" screen won't turn off even though the car is off, and the "call time" counter continues to count the minutes on the call. I've tried locking the doors, walking away from the car, and when I come back the screen is still on. The only way I can completely get it to shut off is to hang up the phone and call the person back after I lock the car. This is fine with personal calls, but doesn't work well on a business call or conference call.

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Hi, I'm sorry to hear this. Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to open a case for you.

Alison
RamCares

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve noticed the same issue. It’s annoying but I haven’t had it happen that often so I haven’t worried about it. I’m wondering if turning Bluetooth on the phone off temporarily before shutting the truck off would work as a work around.

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
RamCares

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Is it the 12" screen EVIC or the 8.4? have not had ne issues on the 8.4. Stop truck, turn off truck. System asks do I want to transfer tp phone? I transfer call, open door and system shuts down. I only mention this as the 12" screens have allegedly been having some software issues reported by members.

Zig10

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It is indeed the 12" screen, which so far has been very stable (knocking on wood). I'll try dumping the bluetooth on my phone next time to see if that gives a true severed connection. If that works, it's good enough for me.
I do have to take it to the dealer sooner or later to get the air suspension looked at (front keeps deflating every time I park it), so I'll bring it up then and see if there is a fix.

Thanks again.

Renegade3

Reaction score
On my 8.4", if I leave the truck and am still on the call, the screen in the truck will stay illuminated until I end the call. Once I'm off the call it then turns off. Odd quirk but it does turn off once done.

RSConsulting

Reaction score

yes - turning off BT will disconnect.

The head unit - will stay on as long as the BT connection is active - turn the BT off, and it will disconnect/turn off the truck.

Rick

cemem

Reaction score

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. check guide on my tech simply
Hey, I have a 2014 1500. When I connect my phone to Bluetooth I am able to use it to make and receive phone calls but when I go to media it just says connect device. My phone says it’s connected and all is well but the screen says there’s no device in media. The same thing happens when I plug in the USB, it constantly says connect device. I have tried multiple times to delete my phone from the Bluetooth list but still nothing. I tried to connect my wife’s phone and same thing. Anyone have this issue before ? I have an iPhone if that helps at all lol

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I have a 2014 1500. When I connect my phone to Bluetooth I am able to use it to make and receive phone calls but when I go to media it just says connect device. My phone says it’s connected and all is well but the screen says there’s no device in media. The same thing happens when I plug in the USB, it constantly says connect device. I have tried multiple times to delete my phone from the Bluetooth list but still nothing. I tried to connect my wife’s phone and same thing. Anyone have this issue before ? I have an iPhone if that helps at all lol
This forum is for 2019+ 5th gen Rams. Try asking on a 4th gen forum

Users who are viewing this thread