5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two holes or seams in truck bed are opening?

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Was enjoying my memorial day weekend until I saw this. Out enjoying the hobby of metal detecting yesterday and I returned to the truck to put my gear back into it. Opened the truck bed and noticed I have two holes in the back of the truck. WTF? My truck has never had anything extremely heavy in (maybe 300 to 500 pounds max) and nothing was ever dropped into it. Had work done on it in April to replace back up camera. Truck is only a little over a year and a half old and low miles. Took pictures and I can see the road through my bed. Was this a defect in the truck that was covered by my spray in bedliner at the factory? Calling tomorrow to get an appointment to get this looked at. Don't think this is any type of drain hole. So pissed off right now.

Edit: Took another pic. Stuck small piece of painters tape over hole with tailgate down so everyone could see where on the bed this occurred.

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_084838656[1].jpg
    IMG_20200525_084838656[1].jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_20200525_084838656[1].jpg
    IMG_20200525_084838656[1].jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20200525_084900045[1].jpg
    IMG_20200525_084900045[1].jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20200525_085315441[1].jpg
    IMG_20200525_085315441[1].jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_20200525_085602433[1].jpg
    IMG_20200525_085602433[1].jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20200526_093346303_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20200526_093346303_HDR[1].jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Definitely take it back and get it checked. Hopefully the service advisor won’t say that they are “purpose designed weep-holes”...

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Definitely take it back and get it checked. Hopefully the service advisor won’t say that they are “purpose designed weep-holes”...

Don't even see how this can be fixed. Looks like metal weld or seam is gone. Never noticed this before. I think bedliner fell out of holes yesterday. Poo Poo going to hit the fan if they say it is a weep hole.

JustMe

Reaction score
Regardless of what the RAM dealer guru says . . . I'd be SURE YOU brought it to RAM CARES attention with photos via email and phone conversation . . . better yet, also, Bring it up right here on the site so that everyone else can be made aware . . . Just In Case this could become a REAL Quality Control / Recall Issue ! That will NEVER happen unless it is WE, the Customer make THEM, the Manufacturer aware that WE are aware . (y)(n)

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Wondering if they are going to have to install a new bed. How the hell was this not caught before they sprayed the bedliner in? Looking forward to a major fight with them and this is my second Ram. The first one had major paint defects and I received this one for a replacement. Smoke is rolling out my ears right now. Is there anyone else that has had this problem? Might have to add this to my special added feature from factory part of my signature.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Wondering if they are going to have to install a new bed. How the hell was this not caught before they sprayed the bedliner in? Looking forward to a major fight with them and this is my second Ram. The first one had major paint defects and I received this one for a replacement. Smoke is rolling out my ears right now. Is there anyone else that has had this problem? Might have to add this to my special added feature from factory part of my signature.
That “special added feature“ almost made me spill my morning coffee! Not to make light of your situation and 2nd RAM issues, but yes elevate this case unless you are very pleased with the initial response. Hopefully RAM Cares will tead this soon.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was enjoying my memorial day weekend until I saw this. Out enjoying the hobby of metal detecting yesterday and I returned to the truck to put my gear back into it. Opened the truck bed and noticed I have two holes in the back of the truck. WTF? My truck has never had anything extremely heavy in (maybe 300 to 500 pounds max) and nothing was ever dropped into it. Had work done on it in April to replace back up camera. Truck is only a little over a year and a half old and low miles. Took pictures and I can see the road through my bed. Was this a defect in the truck that was covered by my spray in bedliner at the factory? Calling tomorrow to get an appointment to get this looked at. Don't think this is any type of drain hole. So pissed off right now.

I've got those same holes and noticed them at delivery. I always just figured that's how they were welded from the factory. Doesn't reduce capacity any way I can see so I mentally moved on.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure the only drain hole in the bed is right up by the cab in the middle of the box . I don’t think there’s any others at least none that I’m aware of anyway .

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Sent Ram Cares a message. If this is normal why does it look like the seam in the first pic from underneath is pulled apart slightly. What is the white stuff underneath the truck as well? Would love to see pics of people's beds without bedliners to see how many have this. My bedliner never had holes in these positions until this weekend.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
The "seam" opening is the one that would concern me most. But no point of reference in ur pic, where's it located at?

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Just added another pic in first post. Painters tape covering hole. Just called for service an got an appointment for Thursday. Was transferred to body shop that is part of dealership. Guy I talked to thinks this is normal. Having them check anyway. Then I am going to ask to see new Rams without bedliners to see if others have this in the lot. Also going to have them recheck AC. I have the warmer drivers side vent (Yes I know I can clamp a hose or install a valve.) Last time I was into check AC guy just drove it down the road to the closest intersection and came back and said it was normal. Did not bother to do any measurements or testing. Also have a issue with my sunroof having a whistling noise that happens when my netting or screen material gets loose. Seems to get pulled out of the clips so I have to tighten or push it back into clips to get noise to stop.

Last edited:

Mother

Reaction score
Mine has them too. Pretty sure it's normal. Our beds aren't designed to be water tight.

20200526_115928.jpg

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Now you guys have me wondering About ours, I’ll have to go look.
I was more concerned about the gap at the tailgate if I ever got another cap/canopy like the Leer on my F150. That never sealed right, leaked in every big rain and on every wet road.
It was definately not a good choice for a wet climate. We ended up having to carry big plastic tubs and hope they didn’t float away...

Get N Dirty

Reaction score
Now you guys have me wondering About ours, I’ll have to go look.
I was more concerned about the gap at the tailgate if I ever got another cap/canopy like the Leer on my F150. That never sealed right, leaked in every big rain and on every wet road.
It was definately not a good choice for a wet climate. We ended up having to carry big plastic tubs and hope they didn’t float away...

Didn't mean to make anyone worried. It just freaked me out to go a year and 8 months and have no holes. Then all of a sudden I open the back end and I have day light shining through.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Like an exterior door to your house, having daylight shining through the edges isn’t exactly what we think is appropriate. I appreciate your comment and although a bed does need factory weepholes for water, what we don’t want is another entry point or place to rust.

Mother

Reaction score
From what I can tell the holes are drilled during the manufacturing at the end of a cut in the sheet metal to allow it to be bent without splitting or deforming the rest of the piece. Pretty commonly seen in things made from sheet metal.

I'd be willing to bet they've been there the whole time and you just now noticed them.

RamCares

Reaction score

Hi @Get N Dirty - Just had a chance to respond to your PM on this, please follow up with me there when you can!

Mark
RamCares

ScubaSteve

Reaction score

Edit: Took another pic. Stuck small piece of painters tape over hole with tailgate down so everyone could see where on the bed this occurred.
just looked at my bed, i have have ram boxes it is right in the corner where ram boxes meet the bed, it appears to be a machined notch so they can bend the metal down in the 2 different directions. IMG_20200526_130019750.jpg

Dumpster_on_Wheels

Reaction score
I noticed this more prevalent on a new truck w/out a sprayed in liner. Bunch of these up against the back of the cab.

Users who are viewing this thread