5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two different CD Players-Which one to order?

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2020 Laramie with the 8.5 Nav and 19 speaker stereo. It also has the floor console, wireless charger and USB plugs at the bottom right of the center stack with the cubby hole to the left of it. I want to order and install the factory CD Player where the cubby hole is.

it looks like there are two different CD Players and both say they will fit, but also say it needs the bench seat leaving me confused. The only difference I see is the side mounting brackets. Does anyone know which one to use?

Thank you!

P/N 68365900AB

P/N 68335565AB

Attachments

• AB68F455-8F26-43AB-A9AB-C4DCED7D393C.png
    AB68F455-8F26-43AB-A9AB-C4DCED7D393C.png
    44.9 KB · Views: 97

CJR28

Reaction score
Watching, im looking to do the same thing

COSPILOT

Reaction score
If I didn’t think the electronics would freak out I’d sell you mine and buy your cubby. Do these come pre wired for stuff like this? I know my Land Rovers use to come prewired for just about everything, even items not available in the North America market, but no idea on Ram trucks.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Haven’t had it apart to look yet. But I read where someone had the connector taped up in the harness.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Does anyone know what and how to take it apart to see If I have the plug and what’s behind the cubby hole?
Thank you!

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a 2020 Laramie with the 8.5 Nav and 19 speaker stereo. It also has the floor console, wireless charger and USB plugs at the bottom right of the center stack with the cubby hole to the left of it. I want to order and install the factory CD Player where the cubby hole is.

it looks like there are two different CD Players and both say they will fit, but also say it needs the bench seat leaving me confused. The only difference I see is the side mounting brackets. Does anyone know which one to use?

Thank you!

P/N 68365900AB

P/N 68335565AB
Ok, went to the parts department and found that 68335565AB is the right player. Removed the console and centerstack, but there is no harness or connector for the CD Player. I felt the wiring for a taped connector and probed everywhere I could get a flashlight to with no luck. Wish someone could prove me wrong, but it looks like my cubbyhole stays where it is.

DHOLMQ

Reaction score
I got the same Cd player last week and upon trying to install it on my 2020 Limited, I ran into the same issue. I couldn’t find the plug that was supposed to be wrapped in the cloth harness Anywhere. I am no auto mechanic or stereo pro by an any measure so I figured I missed something. But I am starting to think it isn’t there. Because the trucks haven‘t changed really, I wonder if we could just Replace that part of the Wiring harness with the 2019 part that included the plug for the CD player?

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
I wondered that too, and would go to the trouble if I was certain it would work. It’s not worth it for me to experiment though. I have 5000+ songs on a tiny thumb drive plugged into the backseat USB port so practicality isn’t the reason I wanted to do it.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, went to the parts department and found that 68335565AB is the right player. Removed the console and centerstack, but there is no harness or connector for the CD Player. I felt the wiring for a taped connector and probed everywhere I could get a flashlight to with no luck. Wish someone could prove me wrong, but it looks like my cubbyhole stays where it is.
It wouldn't surprise me if they phased it out of the wiring harness altogether. Perhaps they were using a previous edition wiring harness in 2019 when they were building both trucks, and once they got the new harness going that's the end of the CD player.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Yep, that would save them lots of $$$ over large quantities of trucks. I looked at the main plug and didn’t see any empty pin locations. I don’t know if the number of pins changed between year models. The other plug to the console was maybe USB C?, guessing this is to communicate with the USB ports. I watched a video on you tube and the connector for the CD player is fairly large, with typical pin outs, didn’t look like it tied into the USB stuff.

schlite60

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I am going to deep dive into this and see if there is actually is a cable assy for this CD unit. It was the only thing that was not installed and I thought that it was with 12 inch head unit package. Factory deleted it because of supply problems; sometimes just in time does not work. I have a late build 10/2020 truck also.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eliminating a few wires may save a few dimes, but having two different harnesses is going to cost money, too.

In the past Chrysler was real good about this, and I would bet there is a connector somewhere and you just haven't found it. Since these can be dealer installed I suspect its there, maybe tied to another part of the harness, or under the carpet.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045440 miles.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Eliminating a few wires may save a few dimes, but having two different harnesses is going to cost money, too.

In the past Chrysler was real good about this, and I would bet there is a connector somewhere and you just haven't found it. Since these can be dealer installed I suspect its there, maybe tied to another part of the harness, or under the carpet.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 045440 miles.
I'm confused..(what else is new)..I have a 19 with CD, but I thought 20's and up had no CD anymore...if so, why would you guys expect there to be wiring anymore for a CD hook up? I could see the connector being there for a little of the 20 model year run, to use up remaining CD type harnesses...but not after that..no?

Brianboyer82

Reaction score
I know there are different center console harnesses. Wonder if that is what would be different. Mine didnt come with the wireless charger so i just ordered the harness for the center console. Will update when i receive it in a couple of weeks.

Th8785

Reaction score
Anything been found out about adding cd player?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Anything been found out about adding cd player?
68335565AB is the CD player for a truck with a full center console.
2020+ probably won’t have the correct wiring to add it, but this is the connector you are looking for-
9C006052-3D1C-4ADD-97D4-0F264A959506.jpeg

This is where it would be on center console trucks-
E6E850D7-279D-4A99-9F50-6FDD20D91802.jpeg

This is a center console harness that contains the CD player connector plus all other center console options connectors- 68358128AD

Even after you get this harness, you still need to populate the missing wires of the instrument panel harness side of the XY360 connector (the main connector that the center console harness plugs into). Using the connector view below, you need to make sure the wires are present in positions 2,9,10,15,16,17,&24. 2 is constant battery, 24 is ground. 9&10 go to the CANBUS junction block that has the green connectors, and 15-17 go to the big radio connector.
BD24851F-E3B6-429A-843E-1561BCA4E6C3.jpeg
04A12A57-BC13-4737-A628-88DF1171BEFE.jpeg

Then you’ll use AlfaOBD to enable the External Disc module so the CD player soft key will show up in the radio under media selections.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online