5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Twin-Turbo 3.0-liter (Hurricane) Inline-Six-Cylinder (H.O.) Engine - Specifications!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I read somewhere that this new bore tech went through durability testing and still had the cross hatching, and no lip, after a lot of miles. I get the feeling the Bores will last a really, really long time.
I mean, when I totaled my 99 Dakota R/T with 120k miles on it, the factory crosss hatching in cylinders was still there. That was the 5.9l Magnum engine. Ran nothing but Mobil1 synthetic and 3k oil changes.

Yzcr87

Reaction score
Similar cylinder coatings like Nikasil have been used reliably in aluminum bores for 30+ years now in the motorcycle industry. Everything from little high strung 65cc two-strokes up to 1000+cc sport bikes & touring bikes. Typically even when the piston rings wear out the cylinder & coating will still be perfect & ready to accept new pistons & rings
I'm not concerned with the feasibility or longevity of the coating. I would be concerned with quality control during its application leading to coating failure or an improper surface finish leading to oil consumption.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram has built and is testing hundreds of I6 Hurricane powered pilot trucks, including the TRX. :mad: An I6 powered Ram 1500 in 2025 is a certainty. Other than the sound, (wet fart) I wouldn't mind a 510 HP I6 in a Laramie or Limited. No way would I trade my supercharged 6.2 Hemi for one.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ram has built and is testing hundreds of I6 Hurricane powered pilot trucks, including the TRX. :mad: An I6 powered Ram 1500 in 2025 is a certainty. Other than the sound, (wet fart) I wouldn't mind a 510 HP I6 in a Laramie or Limited. No way would I trade my supercharged 6.2 Hemi for one.

Hundreds? They don't build that many pilot vehicles. It us used in other models, but basically for only one year. That doesn't prove dependability at all. Ford turbo engine didn't fail for 4 or 5 years.

Users who are viewing this thread