5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turn Off Gen V 1500 USB Data Media Hub

Nitewulf

Reaction score
I have a USB dongle that makes it so I don’t have to plug in my phone for Android Auto to work. The issue was that the wifi would stay connected when I was in the house and my phone would not connect to wifi internet router. Well, I found two solutions. Option 1: Micro2 tap adapter, relay switch, and wires. Option2 (plug and play): Option 1 items plus male harness connector and female harness connector.

Option 1: Here are the parts I used,

Micro2 Tap Adapter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DLXWTQ...otive&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1

Relay Switch

Relay.png

Remove USB media hub – cnewman402 shows this best,

Cut the red wire from connector behind the USB media hub, connect the red wire from connector to 30 Blue Wire of relay and the other side to 87 Red wire of relay. Ground 86 White (I did it to a screw near the media hub) and connect 85 black to the fuse tap adapter.

Harness Red Wire.jpg

Plug the micro2 tap adapter into IGN fuse (my choice) or ACC fuse under steering column. That will complete everything and will turn the USB off either when the RAM engine isn’t running (IGN) or when not on (ACC).

Option 2: More expensive, more time consuming, and plug and play (my preference while under warranty).

Instead of cutting red wire from connector to USB media hub, purchase the following connectors,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086BGD7NJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09WZ6NJX3?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

When looking at the male plug with lock at the top from front, the top left wire needs to be cut and connected to 87 Red of relay. When looking at female plug with lock at the top from front, the top right wire needs to cut and connected to 30 blue wire of relay. 86 and 85 need to be connected as stated in option 1.

Connector.jpg

20240209_221258.jpg
Unplug the connector behind USB media hub (female), plug that connector into male part of homemade harness, plug female part of homemade harness into back of USB media hub, and done.

I am hoping that my explanation is not horrible and that anyone can follow this without issue, but let me know if there is something I can further explain or make more sense.

Last edited:

rnaude241

Reaction score
Thank you for the write up it's very appreciated. I'm a little confused still as to how option two is plug in play with three connectors (the two you purchased and the one coming off the USB hub).

Nitewulf

Reaction score
Thank you for the write up it's very appreciated. I'm a little confused still as to how option two is plug in play with three connectors (the two you purchased and the one coming off the USB hub).
Oops, guess I forgot to complete the directions, lol.

Unplug the connector behind USB media hub (female), plug that connector into male part of homemade harness, plug female part of homemade harness into back of USB media hub, and done.

Hawk85

Reaction score
Update...installed and it works great. Ports shut off with the truck now. Thanks for the instructions, took about 30 minutes. Had to slide the center console back enough to access the media hub, but quick install once I figured that out. Great info in this thread also that may help anyone else.

Great write-up, I'm looking to do option 2 in the near future as my motorola ma1 needs to be unplugged at home to turn it off. Do you have a picture of where you plugged in the tap adapter under the steering column? I'm not the most electrically savvy, but your instructions seem simple enough to try.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread