5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo lag / Throttle response

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sascwatch you are absolutely correct. It feels to me like it's detuned not turbo lag. Could be a transmission setting or pedal position sensor issue. I drove a used 2019 Wrangler Limited 4 door just yesterday to the dealership with the 4 cylinder turbo. It had 35" tires on it. That thing would spin the tires without even trying hard. So I know what a turbocharged engine can potentially be. Granted it was a gas engine not diesel. But a diesel engine has more low end torque. Our 2022 Ram is definitely stifled in some manner. I have an appt. at the RAM dealership after the first of the year to see if they will do the updated TSB reflash. I'm not sure if our truck has a more recent update, but the one that seems to get the most positive comments on this site is the 8-008-21 TSB. I'll see if I can get them to consider it. So far they have denied that there have been anyone else bringing their ecodiesel in for poor performance so don't know. Hopefully they'll consider it. Like I said, if not there's always one of the various throttle booster options.
I’ve noticed this happens with every stock supercharged and turbo vehicle I have modified over the years for our family business. It’s what I call a “safe tune”. They’re sacrificing responsiveness that an aggressive tune would provide to ensure every vehicle that comes off the line has the lowest potential for issues. The same goes for any canned, or “off the shelf” tunes like all the tuners that you ship an ecu to. The best way to tune is to live tune on a dyno, and no manufacturer is going to do that. It also benefits tuners to spend the time once making a safe tune, then sell it to thousands of people instead of making a custom tune each time for thousands of people.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wonder if the GDE tune takes care of this??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jebjam

Reaction score
There’s a TSB and a PCM update for this issue. The PCM flash fixes several little bugs.
I have a 2020 EcoDiesel with 18,000 miles purchased used from an out of state dealer a year ago (a great deal with just 3000 miles but that's another story). Any idea if TSB and PCM updates done at a local dealer will be covered by warranty or is their a service charge? I haven't seen any recalls for my truck, but the delay is annoying and pretty significant with my truck, I'd say 20% of the time starting after stopped at a light.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There should not be a charge and your local dealer is able to do the work. (A TSB is NOT a recall or a warranty. It is a Tech Service Bulletin, so they'll know how FCA/Stellantis wants the repair diagnosed and performed.) But, a PCM update, should also be covered.

Give your local service center a call. I'd be stunned if they charge for it.

reddog

Reaction score
I know this thread hasn't been revived for a while now so I'll give an update on my experiences to date. Our local RAM dealer where we purchased our truck said they did a diagnostic check and the tech didn't find anything out of the ordinary with the performace. There were no updates that were due or applicable and that they wouldn't load the 08-008-21 (?) TSB because FCA doesn't call for that one on our particular truck. I purchased a JMS PedalMax and installed it. That did not help with the off line lag at all, although once moving it seemed to pep the response somewhat. I sent it back because I just want the truck to move when I push the pedal, whether from a stop or moving. We took a 2 week trip to Ohio and had a few close calls when trying to get into busy traffic from a stop. My service advisor at the dealership suggested that I put a call to FCA and file a complaint with them about the performance. I did that and the gentleman that I spoke to spent about 20 minutes with me on the phone asking questions and he seemed to be truly interested in my experiences with our new RAM. He gave me a case # to reference and told me that to start the process of escalating the case file I would need to have the dealership once again go thru a diagnostic process using the case # to file their findings. That's where I'm at now. Have an appointment to take it in for that diagnostic process in 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes through the proper process according to FCA. Tom

Reactions: c3k

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know this thread hasn't been revived for a while now so I'll give an update on my experiences to date. Our local RAM dealer where we purchased our truck said they did a diagnostic check and the tech didn't find anything out of the ordinary with the performace. There were no updates that were due or applicable and that they wouldn't load the 08-008-21 (?) TSB because FCA doesn't call for that one on our particular truck. I purchased a JMS PedalMax and installed it. That did not help with the off line lag at all, although once moving it seemed to pep the response somewhat. I sent it back because I just want the truck to move when I push the pedal, whether from a stop or moving. We took a 2 week trip to Ohio and had a few close calls when trying to get into busy traffic from a stop. My service advisor at the dealership suggested that I put a call to FCA and file a complaint with them about the performance. I did that and the gentleman that I spoke to spent about 20 minutes with me on the phone asking questions and he seemed to be truly interested in my experiences with our new RAM. He gave me a case # to reference and told me that to start the process of escalating the case file I would need to have the dealership once again go thru a diagnostic process using the case # to file their findings. That's where I'm at now. Have an appointment to take it in for that diagnostic process in 2 weeks. We'll see how it goes through the proper process according to FCA. Tom
The recent update for def usage seems to have fixed the dead pedal for many owners, myself included. Since the update I haven’t had the dead pedal issue once, the truck just always gets up and goes. Hopefully they figure it out for you.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The recent update for def usage seems to have fixed the dead pedal for many owners, myself included. Since the update I haven’t had the dead pedal issue once, the truck just always gets up and goes. Hopefully they figure it out for you.
My truck was just built 2 weeks ago and I have experienced the dead pedal once already.

Users who are viewing this thread