5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo I-6 Rebel?

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score

VoiceOfReason

Reaction score
Ram, please don’t.
I’m sure it’s a great engine and would work well in the base Rebel and other vehicles, but don’t put it in the TR/TRX. Or, if you do, make the NA 7.0L an option.

M

Mdegen93

Rumor has it that engine will be the replacement for the 5.7 in the whole fca lineup

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why? Same as ecoboost.

Doubt they will replace the hemi all together, but they will for sure option it in shortly. GM is already doing it too, with their 4cyl turbo motor.

Wave of the future...

Plus I-6 is typically legit from a performance stand point. Grand national, bmw, Supra, cummins.

M

Mdegen93

That would be an epic mistake. Can't see it happening.
It’s for emissions/ economy. They
Why? Same as ecoboost.

Doubt they will replace the hemi all together, but they will for sure option it in shortly. GM is already doing it too, with their 4cyl turbo motor.

Wave of the future...

Plus I-6 is typically legit from a performance stand point. Grand national, bmw, Supra, cummins.
exactly. More torque from the longer stroke. I read somewhere it’s going to be north of 400 hp and torque too

Lize

Reaction score
Call me traditional but I hate the idea.
I probably wouldn't have bought a Raptor this time but the eco boost immediately struck it off as a possibility.
I can see the future being grim.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I guess I should say I don’t think it should be a replacement, just an option. They both have their place.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sure that will be a fiat design engine just like eco diesel. I would stay clear.

REBEL 2.0

Reaction score
Fiat makes awesome powetrains. I have a Fiat tractor made in 1972 and a 2015 Fiat built New Holland. The problem is they take a motor that runs perfectly in Europe then let the EPA choke it to death so the green tree huggers can feel all warm and fuzzy

Rebel Randy

Reaction score
Imo more than any other American name plate, the Hemi name and the V8 is synonymous with Dodge and Ram. You can't say that so much about Ford and GM and their powertrains. Throwing away that brand and name recognition would be a colossal mistake. Having said that Ram does need to update their engines. The 5.7 has been rated with the same hp/tq numbers for a long time. Time to put the 6.4 in a half ton, bump the numbers and they'd have a winner for most buyers and conquest sales. They could put a straight six with a small turbo in some of the base model fleet trucks.

The eco boost in my Raptor is something I look forward to getting out of. I hope Ram gives me an updated V8 choice. I'd really like to see a Hellcat TRX that's with 5K of the retail price of my loaded Raptor. Either that or a 1500 Rebel with black interior and a 6.4. that would do nicely.

NortheastRebel19

Reaction score
Been there, done that in my 2017 Raptor. Don't really care to do it again...ever
This.

Why buy a badass truck with a eco V6? The first gen Raptors where badass.

I would never buy a V6 eco, that’s why I didn’t get a Ford.

I didn’t buy a truck for gas mileage. I bought a truck to haul stuff, haul *** and tow.

I love my 19 Rebel and if it came with a eco V6 I would of stayed far away from it.

If Rebel offered a 5.7 / 6.4 that would be very appealing.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This.
I didn’t buy a truck for gas mileage. I bought a truck to haul stuff, haul *** and tow.

I love my 19 Rebel and if it came with a eco V6 I would of stayed far away from it.

If Rebel offered a 5.7 / 6.4 that would be very appealing.

I'm there with you.
While I was basically Rebel all the way in a fixed fight?
If asked to do it over again, I would be between the Rebel, and GMC 1500 AT4 w/ 6.2 V8.
The thing that gets me, that 6.2 needs premium fuel IIRC, no ram boxes, etc etc.

Ecoboost? No thank you. Not interested. I don't want a small displacement turbo engine in my fullsize truck.
Turbo-6 in a midsize truck? Absolutely.
Turbo-4 in a rally car? Absolutely.
Fullsize truck? No.
And this is part of why I'm in a Ram.

I'm personally glad FCA offers a real V8 in many of their vehicles, I think it's smart to differentiate in this way when Ford and few others are trying to get people into smaller engines for EPA reasons.

FCA offering an i6 turbo option for interested buyers might be neat. Pulling any V8 option and offering only that?
Big mistake. I think I would rather:
A) Keep my rebel until the wheels fall off
B) Get some other makers V8 fullsize 1/2ton truck, if they offer one.
C) Get a 3/4 ton with a V8 engine.

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score

GN never had an I6 FYI.

This.

You realize the 3.5 Ecoboost, when equipped, is rated to tow more than your Ram? It makes more power and is quicker as well. Tune a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost and a 5.7 Ram wouldn't even be in the same zip code in a drag race. So you could have had a truck that could haul more, haul *** faster, and tow more.

I'm all for V8's in trucks and modern muscle cars. However, if the interior of the Ford's was even remotely close to the Ram's I would probably be driving a 3.5 Ecoboost. I went Ram over Ford and Chevy due to mostly the interior, but also the I like the Ram's 5.7 better than the Chevy 5.3 or Ford 5.0 in a truck I plan on towing with. Although both of those other engines have proven to be great and would have more than likely got the job done just fine (probably with much better MPG than my truck as well).

I am not brand loyal by any means but have always been a Chevy guy at heart. If I could have gotten a 6.2L Silverado/Sierra for the same price as my Ram, or like I mentioned above about Ford's interior, I probably would have went one of those routes.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Imo a turbo I6 would be a good option to have. But ram NEEDS the 6.4 in the 1500s. Its absolutely ridiculous that the 3.6 v6 and 5.7 are the only options (ecodiesel isnt out yet for the 5th gen) they need that 6.4 for the higher trims at least to compete with the 6.2 and 3.5HO. If I could've gotten a 6.4 over a 5.7 in my big horn it would literally be a no brainer. Talk about a fun truck to drive, the 5.7 is great at 400hp ish but 85 more? YES PLEASE

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Imo a turbo I6 would be a good option to have. But ram NEEDS the 6.4 in the 1500s. Its absolutely ridiculous that the 3.6 v6 and 5.7 are the only options (ecodiesel isnt out yet for the 5th gen) they need that 6.4 for the higher trims at least to compete with the 6.2 and 3.5HO. If I could've gotten a 6.4 over a 5.7 in my big horn it would literally be a no brainer. Talk about a fun truck to drive, the 5.7 is great at 400hp ish but 85 more? YES PLEASE

85 more HP? The 5.7 is 395 hp/410 lb-ft and the 6.4 is 410 hp/429 lb-ft.

15 more horsepower and 19 more lb-ft of torque.

Users who are viewing this thread