5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turbo I-6 Rebel?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why? Same as ecoboost.

Doubt they will replace the hemi all together, but they will for sure option it in shortly. GM is already doing it too, with their 4cyl turbo motor.

Wave of the future...

Plus I-6 is typically legit from a performance stand point. Grand national, bmw, Supra, cummins.
GM has already stopped installing the 4 turbo in larger vehicles realizing its a mistake. I read an article stating that they were discontinuing putting the 4 in larger SUV's so i don't see why they would put them in a full size truck.

Last edited:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
GM has already stopped installing the 4 turbo in larger vehicles realizing its a mistake. I read an article stating that they were discontinuing putting the 4 in larger SUV's so i don't see why they would put them in a full size truck.

Got a link for that article? The turbo 4 banger in GM is a brand new engine they just built specifically for the 2019 1500's. I seriously doubt they've discontinued that after less than 3-4 months on the market; and they have never installed it in an SUV yet, so somebody somewhere has their wires crossed and that information you read is totally incorrect.

I'm not a fan of turbos either, but that new GM 4 banger gets excellent reviews everywhere you look on youtube and elsewhere. It's fast and punchy and gets good MPG. The only negative critisism seems to be a tiny bit of lag when you punch it at highway speeds, and the physologoical effect of driving a 4 banger.

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got a link for that article? The turbo 4 banger in GM is a brand new engine they just built specifically for the 2019 1500's. I seriously doubt they've discontinued that after less than 3-4 months on the market; and they have never installed it in an SUV yet, so somebody somewhere has their wires crossed and that information you read is totally incorrect.

I'm not a fan of turbos either, but that new GM 4 banger gets excellent reviews everywhere you look on youtube and elsewhere. It's fast and punchy and gets good MPG. The only negative critisism seems to be a tiny bit of lag when you punch it at highway speeds, and the physologoical effect of driving a 4 banger.

silver billet

Reaction score

That's a different engine, it's a car engine. The i4 turbo in the 2019 Chevy 1500 is a 2.7 which replaces the 4.3 they use in some base models. This 2.7 has been hardened in the same way they harden diesel engines; designed from the start to be used in trucks. 310 HP / 348 LB-FT. I haven't driven it, but some reviewers are saying it's pretty close to the small 5.3 v8.

Also if you continue reading that article; they're not dropping turbo 4's, they're just replacing that specific one with an updated turbo 4.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My Turbo 6 Raptor was way quicker than this 5.7, and could definitely tow a load. Was only limited by the shocks. That being said, the tranny snatched into gear, would occasionally jar you downshifting, and following someone from a stoplight sucked. If they accelerated, then slowed...causing me to accelerate then slow, reapplication of throttle would severely lag then slam into gear. That was Turbo Lag at its finest, and I hated it. I love the smooth application of power, and the silky smooth shifts in my 5.7 Ram. As I said earlier, don't care to go the turbo 6 route again.

alangsam

Reaction score
You will see electric vs exhaust turbo technology this year in cars and a few more in trucks. It eliminates most of the lag

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An inline 6, if done right, produces an incredibly beautiful exhaust note. Some of the most legendary sounding vehicles have been I6. The 7L naturally aspirated v8 is too big, too unimaginative, and too thirsty. A 600 pound engine or a 400 pounder with equal power? Hmm. This is the right move for Mopar to make. If the horsepower junkies within Mopar are allowed to go nuts on a turbo I6, I PROMISE, many of you will become believers. This is a move that should inspire Mopar fans. Would you prefer to be the Harley Davidson of trucks.. building the same engine for 100 years and suddenly realizing you've been stale for the last 25?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If HP is all that matters to a person, the Raptor was tuned and produced 550HP.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No one wants a raptor. Stupid bro truck. When the last time someone went blasting through the sand at 75mph? The answer is never.

Social media warrior truck. Look at me, I bought a raptor because social media would be jealous.

Remember when people bought something, like a Lightning, because it was a hoss and fun to drive? And no one knew because the internet wasn’t around yet on mobile phones.

Stupid bro dozer truck that’s wide and slow and bulky and people think it’s some benchmark for what a truck should be. Please.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually blasted mine through the High Desert in Oregon. It's way more than a social media thing. I should have never gotten rid of my 6.2...but I did, now I no longer have one.

And slow???? Think not. It absolutely would run circles around my Ram. Still didn't make me a huge fan of the turbo 6. BTW, both of my Raptors would run between 140-150.

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sure, as it should (out run a stock ram). But it runs a 14 second quarter stock. 13s modded. A bolt on Lightning would destroy one. Never the less a blower swap truck.

Guess it’s fast for stock trucks in the current market, but I mean stock mustang GT will run off on this thing. Not a term I would use for a giant truck with 35s or bigger. It’s more “powerful” than “fast”. Like a diesel. Essentially same exact thing, average one is 13 second truck.

As far the desert, you are in the 1% then as far as I’m concerned. I mean let’s just look at the US, there’s nowhere to even attempt to use these things in 75% of the country. Maybe more. Certainly not anywhere the near the east coasts. Maybe if I lived on the west side I would have a different view. But I don’t, and it’s stupid to me that ford waste so much time with this bs. How many truck owners care about being Baja joe vs those who don’t and would rather have a modern day Lightning/performance truck?

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Was never attempting to compare apples to cumquats. Of course it would not outrun any number of sports cars. And it was never designed to outrun a Lightning on the streets. Comparing them is ridiculous...Just as ridiculous as if I suggested lining up a lightning and a Raptor in the desert to see which one performed better. None of that makes the truck not fast. It is a truck, after all, and you stated that it was wide and slow. 0-60 in 5.1s is fantastic for a 6000+ lbs vehicle that has the aerodynamics of a brick. And now that I'm located in Michigan, tons of Raptor, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge owners take their vehicles to Silver Lake to run them baja style. I think there are more places to offroad than you think. But in general, i do agree that most Raptors are street queens, and I suspect that its because they ride so well, especially on the crappy roads here in Michigan. And enough off the rails from me, my ORIGINAL point was/is, as quick as I perceived the truck to be, and as smooth as I thought it rode, and as good as I thought it looked, I still am not a fan of the Turbo-6, which is why I no longer own one.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went there because Ford used to make legit performance vehicles via the SVT line. Then, during the Peak of success with the 2nd gen Lightning and 03/04 cobras, they quit. Now for the past decade they have made one SVT vehicle? The raptor.

A long travel Baja truck.

And now it doesn’t even have a v8, so they’ve lost me from the beginning, now they’ve lost you and many others who don’t want a 6 cylinder.

See my frustration? Ford is stupid. Listen, Ford wants to sell a Baja truck then fire it up, but it shouldn’t be at the expense of some of the greatest performance vehicles ever made through the SVT line.

I will get off my soap box now... thanks for the conversation.

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
An inline 6, if done right, produces an incredibly beautiful exhaust note. Some of the most legendary sounding vehicles have been I6. The 7L naturally aspirated v8 is too big, too unimaginative, and too thirsty. A 600 pound engine or a 400 pounder with equal power? Hmm. This is the right move for Mopar to make. If the horsepower junkies within Mopar are allowed to go nuts on a turbo I6, I PROMISE, many of you will become believers. This is a move that should inspire Mopar fans. Would you prefer to be the Harley Davidson of trucks.. building the same engine for 100 years and suddenly realizing you've been stale for the last 25?

I'll take the other side of the argument discussion!
And that contrary opinion goes as such:

No, power is not just power.
Speed, sound, low end torque, even height over other cars on the road - they all amount to the EXPERIENCE of driving our trucks.
And that sound actually does matter, even if Ford desperately wishes it didn't. It's why they pipe sound in through the speakers.
If it didn't, they wouldn't have spent the money and developed the sound.
It's why they made the 2.7 EB a more economical option, and only offer a 5.0 V8 with less HP than their EBs.
This then gave the Ford buyers, a large chunk of the market, the opinion that it's EB > Everything.
No.
The EBs have better specs than what V8s FORD sells.
They do not make a 707hp Ecoboost V6. FCA makes a 707+ hp V8, and that engine is coming to the TRX.
The 5.0L V8 is less powerful than GM's 6.2L V8.
The HO EB's development was in some part, so the guy with the 2.7L Feels good about his purchase, due to strength of brand.
"Well it's technology, it's not 1968 anymore."
If my memory serves me correctly, somewhere in the mid 70s early 80s time frame, the V8s were on hiatus for a bit.
The V8's demise has been called a few times now. And while the Ecoboost accounts for much of FORD's sales, which has a lot to do with their strength of brand, their marketing, their pricing, their engine offerings, and their large loyal fanbase - The 75% ecoboost take rate number that's often floated?
That's not 100% of the truck market. None of the other brands sold an ecoboost equivalent until chevy hopped in this year. And even then, chevy's is not a replacement for the V8s.
It's hard to proclaim the V8 dead, when the very technology (turbos are not new) that makes these 6s peform well, would ALSO make the V8s perform BETTER.
You're telling me an ecoboost with 2 more cylinders that makes more power, isn't desirable?

The Raptor is a fine machine in many ways, but the truth is the HO EB3.5 was done to help market the ecoboost family as whole.
Same reason they put it in the Ford GT. (Yes The GT is in that racing group no one watches, but they didn't have to bring back the GT at all, nor did they have to do it with an EB, they wrapped it around that engine to sell it to more people, for EPA reasons).

The SVT guys were 100% capable of making a 5.0 V8 With a turbo on it, of equal or greater HP.
If you took a guy's raptor, that he loves, with the look he loves, the tires, the suspension, all of it - and said, "I can swap your eco-boost with a V8 of equal or greater specs. Same exact engine, 2 more cylinders, little less boost, better specs." They'll take it.
Because it's everything they liked about their Raptor, and it sounds 100% better, and it's not a strung out V6 - it's a V8 with which really does matter as an experience of driving a vehicle.
It matters so little, that we have guys on this very board talking about jumping to a TRX because of it, along with a nice interior.
Ford makes a quality truck, the Raptor is well designed in many ways - the guys aren't leaving due to quality or offroad capabilities.
They might leave because of that "end all be all" 6 cylinder engine.

Ford tried to tell everyone the ecoboost would be allll anyone could want - which works, until the TRX with a V8 is on the menu.
And with the imminent return of a V8 to the raptor, that was proven true.

For me, I wanted a big simple V8 that saw life in 3/4ton trucks that lived hard truck-lives.
That's the 5.7L V8 in the Ram. If they offered the 6.4, I would own that.
(Side note, the 5.7L V8 had different torque and HP figures from the 1500 to the 2500, I guess it had to do with stress on the drivetrain involved in a life of heavy load towing. If they sold a 6.4, it would likely have higher HP and torque figures for those same reasons for the hp/tq differences in the 5.7L It might crank out a little more than chevy's 6.2 I would find that desirable.)

Up to very recently, that 5.7 was offered in 2500s. Those things we see towing landscaping trailers everywhere, 14 years after they were sold. That has a lot of appeal to me. In addition to good power and good longevity, they sound fantastic. That rumble is a very pleasant enjoyable thing to hear. I don't envy any EB driver, truth be told I actually chortle everytime I hear one roll by. And that's no exaggeration.
That's how I feel, just my 2 cents.

silver billet

Reaction score
I'm not necessarily against the idea of a turbo; but to me it feels like I'd be driving an engine made of plastic. It sounds cheap, and mentally it feels cheap regardless of the power it delivers.

And I would never put up with piping fake engine noise into the cabin, lol, what's next, gluing popsicle sticks to the wheels? BBBBRRRRRRRRBBBRRBbbrbbrrrrbb

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll take the other side of the argument discussion!
And that contrary opinion goes as such:

No, power is not just power.
Speed, sound, low end torque, even height over other cars on the road - they all amount to the EXPERIENCE of driving our trucks.
And that sound actually does matter, even if Ford desperately wishes it didn't. It's why they pipe sound in through the speakers.
If it didn't, they wouldn't have spent the money and developed the sound.
It's why they made the 2.7 EB a more economical option, and only offer a 5.0 V8 with less HP than their EBs.
This then gave the Ford buyers, a large chunk of the market, the opinion that it's EB > Everything.
No.
The EBs have better specs than what V8s FORD sells.
They do not make a 707hp Ecoboost V6. FCA makes a 707+ hp V8, and that engine is coming to the TRX.
The 5.0L V8 is less powerful than GM's 6.2L V8.
The HO EB's development was in some part, so the guy with the 2.7L Feels good about his purchase, due to strength of brand.
"Well it's technology, it's not 1968 anymore."
If my memory serves me correctly, somewhere in the mid 70s early 80s time frame, the V8s were on hiatus for a bit.
The V8's demise has been called a few times now. And while the Ecoboost accounts for much of FORD's sales, which has a lot to do with their strength of brand, their marketing, their pricing, their engine offerings, and their large loyal fanbase - The 75% ecoboost take rate number that's often floated?
That's not 100% of the truck market. None of the other brands sold an ecoboost equivalent until chevy hopped in this year. And even then, chevy's is not a replacement for the V8s.
It's hard to proclaim the V8 dead, when the very technology (turbos are not new) that makes these 6s peform well, would ALSO make the V8s perform BETTER.
You're telling me an ecoboost with 2 more cylinders that makes more power, isn't desirable?

The Raptor is a fine machine in many ways, but the truth is the HO EB3.5 was done to help market the ecoboost family as whole.
Same reason they put it in the Ford GT. (Yes The GT is in that racing group no one watches, but they didn't have to bring back the GT at all, nor did they have to do it with an EB, they wrapped it around that engine to sell it to more people, for EPA reasons).

The SVT guys were 100% capable of making a 5.0 V8 With a turbo on it, of equal or greater HP.
If you took a guy's raptor, that he loves, with the look he loves, the tires, the suspension, all of it - and said, "I can swap your eco-boost with a V8 of equal or greater specs. Same exact engine, 2 more cylinders, little less boost, better specs." They'll take it.
Because it's everything they liked about their Raptor, and it sounds 100% better, and it's not a strung out V6 - it's a V8 with which really does matter as an experience of driving a vehicle.
It matters so little, that we have guys on this very board talking about jumping to a TRX because of it, along with a nice interior.
Ford makes a quality truck, the Raptor is well designed in many ways - the guys aren't leaving due to quality or offroad capabilities.
They might leave because of that "end all be all" 6 cylinder engine.

Ford tried to tell everyone the ecoboost would be allll anyone could want - which works, until the TRX with a V8 is on the menu.
And with the imminent return of a V8 to the raptor, that was proven true.

For me, I wanted a big simple V8 that saw life in 3/4ton trucks that lived hard truck-lives.
That's the 5.7L V8 in the Ram. If they offered the 6.4, I would own that.
(Side note, the 5.7L V8 had different torque and HP figures from the 1500 to the 2500, I guess it had to do with stress on the drivetrain involved in a life of heavy load towing. If they sold a 6.4, it would likely have higher HP and torque figures for those same reasons for the hp/tq differences in the 5.7L It might crank out a little more than chevy's 6.2 I would find that desirable.)

Up to very recently, that 5.7 was offered in 2500s. Those things we see towing landscaping trailers everywhere, 14 years after they were sold. That has a lot of appeal to me. In addition to good power and good longevity, they sound fantastic. That rumble is a very pleasant enjoyable thing to hear. I don't envy any EB driver, truth be told I actually chortle everytime I hear one roll by. And that's no exaggeration.
That's how I feel, just my 2 cents.

If the wind blows just right I could fall off the fence into the firm V8 crowd. I am a V8 kind of guy. Love the sound, love the power. I love big heavy vehicles. The Raptor is an interesting case and I hope FCA is smart enough to learn from any stumbles Ford made. When the 7L V8 was bantered about, I got excited. When this turbo I6 was bantered about, as it is now, I also got excited. This is my take... that there might be something to get excited about. If the past is a guide, the specialty vehicle group(s) within FCA are given large leeway to give "enthusiasts" what they want. No DUMB **** like fake exhaust sound piped into the cabin. BMW also did that. Incredibly dumb dumb dumb.

Fast forward to 0:30 and turn your speakers up :)

SWI_Don

Reaction score
Based on the distance between the engine and radiator on my Rebel, I can say that an I-6 is definitely one of the checklist items for the body/chassis engineering teams. My initial comment was that I could fit a Cummins in there.:D

Don

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn’t be looking to buy a newly designed I6 turbo until it’s been in production a few years and they have a gen 2 version. See how they stand up over time and let them work the kinks out. The early eco boost engines had their problems. Even saw a video made in 2015 where 8 out of 10 Ford techs asked would choose a 5.0 over an eco boost if they where buying a new truck. Maybe a different story today.

Assuming the I6 engine gets introduced in the 2021 model year, the higher take % on that new motor probably doesn’t really pick up till a couple of years later. At least the eco boosts have broken the ice for a 6 cylinder turbo to be acceptable to most of the half ton truck buying public.

Users who are viewing this thread