5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuning

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have his pcm/tcm tune on my 2020. It’s a totally different truck. It’s so much more fun to drive and the trans shifts like it should. I’ll be doing some data logs and let him fine tune it.
I’m also going to remove the grill shutters to help keep things a little cooler.
That’s awesome to hear man, thank you. That’s really exciting stuff.
Instead of shutters first, why not just use 180 stat? See how it does & manages the temps?

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That’s awesome to hear man, thank you. That’s really exciting stuff.
Instead of shutters first, why not just use 180 stat? See how it does & manages the temps?
Tried that on my 4th gen and the thermostat and shutters fought each other.
So I’ll remove the shutters first which will also allow more air into the factory “ram air” scoop in the grill. Then I’ll do the thermostat.

popcenator

Reaction score
With most of my shutters removed, my normal temps now get up to 205*, then usually drop back to under 200* as opposed to the 224* it got to before I removed them. I also have a Vararam so it helped get a little more out of that as well.

@Mopar_maxi, my biggest reason for wanting a tune is how inconsistent the truck performs. Sometimes its balls to the wall and a blast to drive, other times the pedal feels off and there's delay. Did you experience that and did the tuning help?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With most of my shutters removed, my normal temps now get up to 205*, then usually drop back to under 200* as opposed to the 224* it got to before I removed them. I also have a Vararam so it helped get a little more out of that as well.

@Mopar_maxi, my biggest reason for wanting a tune is how inconsistent the truck performs. Sometimes its balls to the wall and a blast to drive, other times the pedal feels off and there's delay. Did you experience that and did the tuning help?

I think I’m going to remove the shutters tomorrow and hope no check engine light haunts me. If it does, I’ll have it turned off in the tune.
Some days on the stock tune it felt pretty quick. Other days it was a slouch. Now if you mash it a little too hard, it destroys the tires. My favorite part is how firm the shifts are, even normal driving. WOT 1-2nd shift, it barks the tires now.

popcenator

Reaction score
I think I’m going to remove the shutters tomorrow and hope no check engine light haunts me. If it does, I’ll have it turned off in the tune.
Some days on the stock tune it felt pretty quick. Other days it was a slouch. Now if you mash it a little too hard, it destroys the tires. My favorite part is how firm the shifts are, even normal driving. WOT 1-2nd shift, it barks the tires now.
If you leave the bracket on you should be fine. And that's what I was hoping you'd say. The stock tune is so inconsistent, I was hoping Jay's felt consistently powerful. I need to get the process down for sending him the files to modify. Do you let the T2 read the original backup, then send those to Jay or is there something you do after you install the diablo tune to the modified PCM? basically I'm wondering if I need to swap the PCM in order to send Jay the files or can I do that after I get the tunes. I don't care really about setting what the Diablo tunes feel like.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you leave the bracket on you should be fine. And that's what I was hoping you'd say. The stock tune is so inconsistent, I was hoping Jay's felt consistently powerful. I need to get the process down for sending him the files to modify. Do you let the T2 read the original backup, then send those to Jay or is there something you do after you install the diablo tune to the modified PCM? basically I'm wondering if I need to swap the PCM in order to send Jay the files or can I do that after I get the tunes. I don't care really about setting what the Diablo tunes feel like.

You have to read the factory PCM with the diablo. Then swap to the unlocked PCM. Then load the original backup into the unlocked pcm. Then you email Jay the original back ups. Diablo provides very very good instructions with the unlocked pcm and handheld.

popcenator

Reaction score
You have to read the factory PCM with the diablo. Then swap to the unlocked PCM. Then load the original backup into the unlocked pcm. Then you email Jay the original back ups. Diablo provides very very good instructions with the unlocked pcm and handheld.
Ok, good to know. Much appreciated.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a wideband on our trucks? I am trying to get an idea of how complicated it will be and what wires to tap into.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone installed a wideband on our trucks? I am trying to get an idea of how complicated it will be and what wires to tap into.
I had one in my 4th gen. Wideband has its own o2 sensor. All you need to run is the harness for it and a power/ground for the gauge.

FishOn

Reaction score
FWIW, the Edge Pulsar is a quick and easy install, no PCM swap or flash required, and can be adjusted on the fly through 4 modes (Stock, Eco, Tow, and Performance)
I don't have any experience with actual "tunes" but this add-on caught my eye because it doesn't leave any trace on the PCM if you need warranty stuff and the install and setup was all of 15 minutes. The Dragon grew a pair of cast iron cajones with just 3 screws and 2 plugs.

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
Most likely due to not wanting to void their warranty so early on.

I have no doubt of that. Good luck with the tune, I'll be anxiously awaiting the results!
Absolutely I blew up a 2015 6.4 srt because of a tune and voided warranty

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
Most tuners will take traction control off and that’s what makes the big difference,unless the vehicle is heavily modded

popcenator

Reaction score
Most tuners will take traction control off and that’s what makes the big difference,unless the vehicle is heavily modded
I had two custom tunes on my 4th gen from the two most notable tuners in the Ram world. Neither turned TC off. You can do so via the handheld tuner but it also disables ABS. To my knowledge, there's no way to disable TC without also disabling ABS which isn't worth the trade off.

Gumpa

Reaction score
I've got a 91 PCM/TCM tune from Jay Greene and I am pretty happy with it. There's a lot more there than with the canned Diablo tune. Truck is very strong, especially passing from 50-55 mph. I debated tuning it but after I put the headers on I was getting cel's that I could not get rid of. Jay got rid of them! Hopefully no issues arise that need to go to the dealer! So far so good.
He also gave me a tow tune but I have not tried that yet.

Alter Ego Trip

Reaction score
I ran a Hemi Fever tune on my 4th gen and the diff between stock was noticable (and that was on a 91 tune). I've run my buddies truck a ton when they were both stock, and the results were very consistent. It all came down to who got the jump and they were always within a bumper length of each other. After tuning we lined up again and I thought my friend was screwing with me as he was that far behind. It put truck lengths on his stock truck. Can't wait to do it to my 5th gen, but going to wait until the 6 months of winter end now. :(

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ran a Hemi Fever tune on my 4th gen and the diff between stock was noticable (and that was on a 91 tune). I've run my buddies truck a ton when they were both stock, and the results were very consistent. It all came down to who got the jump and they were always within a bumper length of each other. After tuning we lined up again and I thought my friend was screwing with me as he was that far behind. It put truck lengths on his stock truck. Can't wait to do it to my 5th gen, but going to wait until the 6 months of winter end now. :(
Tuning from Jay is well worth it. I kept my stock PCM just in case I ever have any major warranty issues. I’ll put it back to stock, get it fixed then tune it again.

Hemiguy226

Reaction score
I had two custom tunes on my 4th gen from the two most notable tuners in the Ram world. Neither turned TC off. You can do so via the handheld tuner but it also disables ABS. To my knowledge, there's no way to disable TC without also disabling ABS which isn't worth the trade off.

I don’t know about the truck but cars that’s done thru Pcm and not Tcm and doesn’t disable abs..speaking of notable tuners I have the so called king Hemi... and I had a bad haircut once there’s a lot of new tuners getting good

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ecm not pcm, at least related to our trucks of current. Most of your torque management is in the tcm. Little bit in ecm. Either way, for a tuner to fully disable trac/abs is ridiculous. It’s still on operators request to vehicle. Also all the high speed can modules can wig out over that. That’s unsafe to do for a modern DD

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ecm not pcm, at least related to our trucks of current. Most of your torque management is in the tcm. Little bit in ecm. Either way, for a tuner to fully disable trac/abs is ridiculous. It’s still on operators request to vehicle. Also all the high speed can modules can wig out over that. That’s unsafe to do for a modern DD
I had traction control completely disabled on my 4th gen. ABS still worked as normal. The traction control light was just constantly lit on the dash.

Users who are viewing this thread