5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuning 2023 models

onrebel

Reaction score
Just starting to look into potential tuning on my 2023 1500 Rebel. I have talked to Diablosport and HP Tuners and both indicated my vehicle is not supported, but would not specify if it was the PCM unlock or the tune itself. However I have talked to some independent tuners that said they could do it as long as my PCM is unlocked. Just curious if anyone has any experience unlocking the PCM on a MY2023 and if there is any difference with the previous model years.

My plan was to purchase a new/additional PCM to get it unlocked and tune on that one, leaving my original PCM stock and untouched. If I could purchase an unlocked PCM from HP Tuners or someone else and then use an independent tuner to do the actual performance tuning, that would be ideal.

Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’ll probably come around next year or the year after. The same thing happens every year, and they just have to say it’s not supported to cover themselves legally until they’ve done enough testing.

onrebel

Reaction score
It’ll probably come around next year or the year after. The same thing happens every year, and they just have to say it’s not supported to cover themselves legally until they’ve done enough testing.

That makes sense, especially for offering a canned tune to the masses. Just hoping to determine if I can get the PCM unlocked and then look at custom tunes.

TxRN

Reaction score
Just starting to look into potential tuning on my 2023 1500 Rebel. I have talked to Diablosport and HP Tuners and both indicated my vehicle is not supported, but would not specify if it was the PCM unlock or the tune itself. However I have talked to some independent tuners that said they could do it as long as my PCM is unlocked. Just curious if anyone has any experience unlocking the PCM on a MY2023 and if there is any difference with the previous model years.

My plan was to purchase a new/additional PCM to get it unlocked and tune on that one, leaving my original PCM stock and untouched. If I could purchase an unlocked PCM from HP Tuners or someone else and then use an independent tuner to do the actual performance tuning, that would be ideal.

Thanks
I'm waiting on mine for the '23 as well. Had the diablo tuner I3 on my 2019 back in the day. I think buying a secondary unlocked PCM may be an idea, but who knows what has changed.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I had to wait a while for Diablosport to be able to tune my 2022 I also have an i3.
They claimed the problem was with the unlocking feature. Even after they were able to unlock it they did testing for around 2-3 months before they officially supported it, then i sent out my PCM for an unlocking.

You can call every once in a while and ask their support and they will check with engineering an give you a rough ETA if they are working on it.
There is software that interfaces from the tuner to the PCM, and the tuner generally needs to update to interface with it after they support it even with an unlocked PCM, I would say it's best to wait until HP or Diablo whoever you are going to go with says it's good to go.

It's also EXTREEMELY unlikely they will sell you a PCM due to parts. You would need to buy another one yourself and ship it in. That's what Diablo told me last year when I asked about buying a separate one. They said they could do swaps, but send ins but didn't have any stock or able to order for just outright purchases.

That said why do you want 2 PCMs? you can very back to stock on your tunes if you ever want. I hooked up to my truck even with dealership tools and there are no red flags anywhere about my unit being tuned or unlocked.

TxRN

Reaction score
I had to wait a while for Diablosport to be able to tune my 2022 I also have an i3.
They claimed the problem was with the unlocking feature. Even after they were able to unlock it they did testing for around 2-3 months before they officially supported it, then i sent out my PCM for an unlocking.

You can call every once in a while and ask their support and they will check with engineering an give you a rough ETA if they are working on it.
There is software that interfaces from the tuner to the PCM, and the tuner generally needs to update to interface with it after they support it even with an unlocked PCM, I would say it's best to wait until HP or Diablo whoever you are going to go with says it's good to go.

It's also EXTREEMELY unlikely they will sell you a PCM due to parts. You would need to buy another one yourself and ship it in. That's what Diablo told me last year when I asked about buying a separate one. They said they could do swaps, but send ins but didn't have any stock or able to order for just outright purchases.

That said why do you want 2 PCMs? you can very back to stock on your tunes if you ever want. I hooked up to my truck even with dealership tools and there are no red flags anywhere about my unit being tuned or unlocked.
Okay thanks for the update. I meant 1 extra unlocked PCM to tune on, but since you said it's okay to use one without any red flags from the dealership I guess its ok.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Okay thanks for the update. I meant 1 extra unlocked PCM to tune on, but since you said it's okay to use one without any red flags from the dealership I guess its ok.
I mean I haven't had any problems and it's not like you are going to void your warranty unless the tune does damage anyways.
Obviously you break it you buy it.

I'm sure if someone did some digging they could see something might of been done but it wouldn't matter.

The Baron

Reaction score
The factory tools COUNT FLASHES.. that's how they know if the computer has been tuned. If you turn it back to stock they can still detect the trucks been tuned because they keep all service records digitally and know if and or how mant tiles the dealerships have been in your ecu.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The factory tools COUNT FLASHES.. that's how they know if the computer has been tuned. If you turn it back to stock they can still detect the trucks been tuned because they keep all service records digitally and know if and or how mant tiles the dealerships have been in your ecu.
Where's the proof?
Even if what you said is true it means nothing. It's not illegal to flash anything unless you live in Cali where doing anything is illegal. Why does it matter even if it sees how many times it's been flashed? Maybe I had my local repair man flash it since you don't need to go to a dealership for service of any kind unless you want to have it done under warranty and save money.

The Baron

Reaction score
Where's the proof?
Even if what you said is true it means nothing. It's not illegal to flash anything unless you live in Cali where doing anything is illegal. Why does it matter even if it sees how many times it's been flashed? Maybe I had my local repair man flash it since you don't need to go to a dealership for service of any kind unless you want to have it done under warranty and save money.
Lol, proof is when the truck is hooked to the scan tool at the dealership, it has a flash counter, literally every manufacturer dies now. If the vehicle has not been in fir ecu updates or has not been updated the flash count will not match records and they can, and almost in every situation will void warranty if major repairs to drive train are needed. Your " local mechanic " does NOT have access to the equipment needed to do ecu updates and refreshes. Your dealer might ne the coolest on the planet but if you go in fir a major repair and the claim is inspected by anyone outside the dealer, what the dealer says doesn't mean squat. Ford red flags vehicles CONSTANTLY and gm and Stallantis are getting real bad.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Lol, proof is when the truck is hooked to the scan tool at the dealership, it has a flash counter, literally every manufacturer dies now. If the vehicle has not been in fir ecu updates or has not been updated the flash count will not match records and they can, and almost in every situation will void warranty if major repairs to drive train are needed. Your " local mechanic " does NOT have access to the equipment needed to do ecu updates and refreshes. Your dealer might ne the coolest on the planet but if you go in fir a major repair and the claim is inspected by anyone outside the dealer, what the dealer says doesn't mean squat. Ford red flags vehicles CONSTANTLY and gm and Stallantis are getting real bad.
You have no facts to back this up.

I have flashed my TCM PCM, and even done my own recall for HCP. But sure whatever you say bud.
When you have some facts and maybe pictures to back this up let me know.

Dalekoven

Reaction score
I'm waiting on mine for the '23 as well. Had the diablo tuner I3 on my 2019 back in the day. I think buying a secondary unlocked PCM may be an idea, but who knows what has changed.
The pcm changed. Ram used to use Bosch but for 2023 they went to their own

Bahnliebger

Reaction score
Unlocking the PCM (Powertrain Control Module) for tuning purposes can vary depending on the vehicle and the tuner's capabilities. It's great that you're considering leaving your original PCM stock and untouched while exploring tuning options.
If you're considering purchasing a new/additional PCM to get it unlocked, ensure that it's compatible with your 2023 1500 Rebel model.
Since independent tuners have expressed confidence in unlocking your PCM and performing the tuning, it might be worth consulting with them further to understand the process and any potential differences compared to previous model years. They may also be able to provide insights into whether there are any specific considerations or challenges with unlocking the PCM for the 2023 model.

Users who are viewing this thread