5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuner for gear ratio change 3.21 - 3.92

PRY1782

Reaction score
New here! I just purchased my first ever RAM. Very happy so far! I needed something to tow around 9500 pounds and was told the 5.7 Big Horn was the truck for it. I didn't realize that the 3.21 ratio only had a towing capacity of 8500; my fault for not looking into that enough, plus limited choices in small town. My question is: can I put a tuner on the truck that would increase the ratio to 3.92? If so, what kind/brand? I've seen some on here state that you can but again, I don't know for sure. I've never had a tuner on a vehicle. Appreciate the thoughts.

Rayrayrebel

Reaction score
New here! I just purchased my first ever RAM. Very happy so far! I needed something to tow around 9500 pounds and was told the 5.7 Big Horn was the truck for it. I didn't realize that the 3.21 ratio only had a towing capacity of 8500; my fault for not looking into that enough, plus limited choices in small town. My question is: can I put a tuner on the truck that would increase the ratio to 3.92? If so, what kind/brand? I've seen some on here state that you can but again, I don't know for sure. I've never had a tuner on a vehicle. Appreciate the thoughts.
In short, no. The ratio you are referring to is the physical gearing in the rearend. So you can’t change that ratio without physically changing the gears in the rearend

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
No. You can not. It is the axle gear that is different. You actually need to change the gears in the rear end. And if 4x4 the front also.

Which is a big deal as you have to change the whole center section not just the gears.

PRY1782

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Yes it’s a 4X4. So do you have any suggestions besides paying the $4K to have it changed lol?

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Towing 9500lbs is a chore for a 1500.

My suggestion is go with a trailer that fits your truck since you already have it.

If you already have the trailer too...well learn how to set up the WDH properly and avoid hills

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The 3.92 towing spec. is a little misleading since towing that much will have you right at the limit of payload/tongue weight. Specially if you go above Bighorn trim levels

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You can't realistically tow much more than 8000 pounds with a 1500, regardless of gear ratio. 9500 pound trailer will have about 12% tongue weight, = 1100 pounds. Add a WDH, round up to 1200 pounds. Add driver at 200 pounds, now you're up to 1400 pounds just by connecting trailer and sitting in all by yourself. You can see how fast you will run out of payload. Big Horn trim might give you around 1500 to 1750 pounds of payload, but you will be pushing a 1500 to the limit in every way, which is not where I would want to be.

Definitely don't spend the $4000 to swap gears; take the hit instead on a trade for a 2500. It will outperform the 1500 (even with 3.92) in every respect.

PRY1782

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I may just find a lighter TT instead of the 9500 lb. I'm still going to use a WDH and a tuner to help that much more. Appreciate it!

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the help. I think I may just find a lighter TT instead of the 9500 lb. I'm still going to use a WDH and a tuner to help that much more. Appreciate it!
Just for info. WDH is recommended for any trailer over 5000lbs.

Do you have the trailer brake controller?

It is required for trailers over 1000lbs in most states.

SColang22

Reaction score
The tuner would only reprogram the computer to the new gears your put in

Users who are viewing this thread