5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tune for Flowmaster outlaw direct fit muffler?

Ramdeathstar

Reaction score
So, I'm pretty new to the truck world so bare with me. I have had cars and bikes, all of which I have upgraded exhausts and intake and with that have always had tunes done to adjust for these modifications. I've never done just a bolt on muffler. However based of what i've always been told about engines is that whenever you change characteristics of the engine it would be wise to tune it. Now I know something a muffler isn't nearly as impactful as injectors, intakes, throttle bodies etc. But I did spend a pretty penny on this truck and while I do want to hear the V8 sound, I still want to keep this engine running in tip top shape and ensure anything I do to it will not compromise the longevity of it's life. Thanks in advance for y'alls input.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No tune needed. Just drive and enjoy the awesome exhaust sound. I had the American Thunder on my last truck. I put 122,000 miles on that truck and zero issues. Sounded great and the Outlaw is even louder.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Modern engines constantly adjust for air, even an intake shouldn't require a tune with your truck. The muffler change, even less so. I also have an Outlaw, and all you really changed was the sound being produced, the piping is the same size.

Even with a full on factory OEM Mopar cat-back exhaust and Mopar cold-air intake installed, there is no tune required by the factory. Even the GT package trucks with those two upgrades from the factory are rated exactly the same as those truck without them. I would venture there is a small increase in performance (likely nothing you will notice in a 6,000+ lbs truck), but the biggest change is the intake and exhaust sound you hear from the cab.

If you were to actually do a tune, you would likely void your powertrain warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread