5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tuffy in-floor storage Locking lid

Charon

Reaction score
I installed my locking in-floor storage today for my CCW
Pros
- Strong lid
- Bolted into metal
- Doesn't use console space
- Concealed
Cons
- Outer liner is plastic, and exposed to the undercarriage.

When choosing between this and a center console each has their benefits. I believe the most important is that this is more concealed. Thieves always rifle through center consoles and a safe inside is a huge target. I doubt floor bins will be on their list. Screws into the plastic of a center console aren't secure at all. I think it's most likely if a thief went for this it would be targeted ie: They know / saw you store your pistol there.

Installation is easy, it took maybe 10 minutes with a battery powered impact.
Ram lid removal
4x T-30 bolts
2x T-40
2x 10mm bolts

Installation
2x H4 Hex/ allen bolts for the bin
4x H4 Hex / Allen for the lid
I used loctite (so did RAM for their bolts)

One thing to note is the instructions say the plastic cover pops off from the back side. To me it's from the front side, where the back of the D-ring is would be the back side.

Nb24ND1.jpg

As you can see the foot print is a little smaller. Which should be good for underseat storage. It does however slightly expose the carpet edge in spots.

w8sThLo.jpg

KKl6eNl.jpg

Just needing to cut a foam liner.
WPLDI0P.jpg

hL9kUwj.jpg

R

Rob5589

I looked at those. Not really diggin em seeing them installed. Wonder why they didn't follow the factory shape/contour, or at least cover the carpet edges?

Charon

Reaction score
I looked at those. Not really diggin em seeing them installed. Wonder why they didn't follow the factory shape/contour, or at least cover the carpet edges?
I love it, because it's strong and I didn't have to make it myself. I really wasn't ok with securing a "safe" with screws into plastic. I'll probably weld up my own bin for it when I'm done traveling.
I think for the cost them not covering the edge is dumb and for a bit more they could have made a secure bin for it.
Not a deal breaker but oversights none the less.

U

User_21361

Thanks for the write up. I went with the lock'er down rear vault instead because of the plastic bins are a weak point. The plastic seemed like a really good way to lose my valuables. It was actually a bit eye opening for me. It would be really cool to see you mock up a metal bin to pair with this.

It should be here in a couple of days and will post about it later.

Charon

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. I went with the lock'er down rear vault instead because of the plastic bins are a weak point. The plastic seemed like a really good way to lose my valuables.
The problem with both is you're relying on plastic. However the odds of a thief breaking a safe out of the console is much higher than crawling under rams to cut random bins out especially when I doubt many use them for anything important.

I know where I'm at consoles are the main target.

As far as welding a bin, I've done a lot of welding, it'll be easy. I'm just going to be on the road for a year or 2 and would much rather buy one.

YaSoQH7.jpg

heydre

Reaction score
The problem with both is you're relying on plastic. However the odds of a thief breaking a safe out of the console is much higher than crawling under rams to cut random bins out especially when I doubt many use them for anything important.

Probably wouldn't need more than a few crossbars around the bin to make it difficult to cut into...

Charon

Reaction score
The one I bought is a drop in metal bin with attached locking lid
3ff8ed011ed20e1805056bcbe582d387.jpg
Oh i thought you were talking about the lockerdown console safe. Damn I didn't find that one.

The Ram all weather rear floor mat covers the Tuffy cover completely. Here the rear of my 19 with the cover installed under the mat.
View attachment 39748
Nice and no "there's a bin here" advertisement.

NoMoFoMoCo

Reaction score
I just installed my Tuffy lids. I agree that the edges would be nicer if they overlapped the carpet. BUT, what I wanted to post is that there is an extra hole through the floor that needs to be sealed!

See the photo I attached. The electric screwdriver is pointing to it. That's the ground you see through the hole. I didn't have a piece of rubber to seal it, so I built up a "patch" with 3 layers of silicone tape to cover/seal the hole before I installed the Tuffy lids.

Just thought you folks should know... there's an unprotected hole under the lid.

Attachments

• 20200717_190142.jpg
    20200717_190142.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 65

Users who are viewing this thread